Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 02:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Why are we building the Keystone XL? It is my understanding that it is to bring the crude from the Canadian tar sands down to Texas to refine it.
No. To process it. There is a difference between processing oil and refining oil.

Oil is processed to remove water, sediments, particulate matter and heavy metals, like nickel, vanadium, uranium, mercury etc.

After it is processed, it is either refined or shipped as crude oil to be refined. You only have 49 operating oil refineries in the US and the bulk of those refined intermediate and light oils. You do not have the refining capacity for heavy oils.

Let's look at a specific example.

Tesoro has a refinery in Kenai, Alaska that runs 72,000 barrels per day of North Slope.

They use catalytic hydro-treating as part of the desulfurization process to produce 13,000 barrels of naphtha and feed stock, 10,000 barrels of diesel, 13,000 barrels of gas oil and 14,200 barrels of low pressure feed stock. The rest is slag/coke.

How much gasoline?

ZERO.

Drill, baby, drill.

What part of "high sulfur heavy oil" do you Big Brains fail to understand?

Are you all that dense?

Apparently.

Did I say Tesoro was the only refinery in Alaska? No, I didn't.

What about the BP refinery and the Conoco-Phillips refinery at Prudhoe Bay? The Flint Hills refinery? The two refineries owned by Petro Star, Inc?

Oh, they've been shut down for 20 years.

Again, what part of "high sulfur heavy oil" do you Big Brains fail to understand?

The only thing more useless than low sulfur heavy oil is high sulfur heavy oil. You don't use it for gasoline, because it costs way to much to make and you only get a paltry 9 gallons per barrel.

Most of your heavy oil refineries were shut down, because you have an over-abundance of intermediate refineries that also make asphalt, tar, naphtha/kerosene and such.

Citgo used to run an heavy oil refinery in Paulsboro, New Jersey that made mostly asphalt and tar. They sold it to Nustar who ran it a few years and shut it down. It's been idle for a while.

BP sold half it its interest in a refinery in Toledo, Ohio to Husky, and then Marathon runs a refinery in Canton, Ohio. Both of those use Canadian Hardisty, which is an heavy oil and they labor to produce...

...ZERO GASOLINE.

But they do produce a lot of naphtha, diesel fuel, bunker oil, coke/slag and other stuff.

Western runs two refineries in New Mexico, one at Gallup and the other at Bloomfield. California Heavy. They produce....

....ZERO GASOLINE.

You guys figure it out yet?

Navajo Refining has a facility at Artesia, New Mexico. The run Maya Blend, which is an heavy oil from Mexico.

They produce...

...ZERO GASOLINE.

Still don't get it?

So all you Big Brains are fawning over an oil pipeline running from Canada that will be transporting Canadian Hardisty, an heavy oil.

And that will do what for gasoline prices in the US?

Absolutely nothing, even more so since you aren't going to refine it.

If you all want this pipeline, then let's at least have a little honesty and integrity about it, and admit that heavy oil has no bearing on the price of light oil, which is set by the benchmark Brent Blend, or on intermediate oil, which is set by the benchmark West Texas Intermediate, and also admit that this will have zero affect on gasoline prices, since you don't use heavy oil to produce gasoline.

It will create some jobs, but nearly all union jobs for those who are already steadily employed, and that pipeline jobs are highly specialized in the nature of their skills, so that few if any of those who are currently unemployed will benefit from it.

You can look at the data for TAPS (Trans-Alaskan Pipeline System) that took 9 years to build and see how many people were employed during construction, and then how many people are employed now.

In fact, I'll do that for you, since many of you are too lame to do your own research:

Quote:
Resource Guide for Jobs on TAPS

There are more than 2000 people employed on the Trans Alaska Pipeline System. Alyeska Pipeline Service Company operates the pipeline and has over 800 employees. The rest of the work force are hired by contractors providing necessary work to operate, maintain and support the pipeline.
[SIZE=2]http://www.alyeska-pipe.com/employment/TAPS%20Resources.asp
[/SIZE]

There you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 02:45 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Yes.. it would benefit everybody... but how ya going to pay for it? Are you willing to pay a toll everytime you go over a bridge? Are you willing to raise gas taxes more? Sometimes be careful what you wish for.....
If the choice is between tolls and/or taxes or another bridge collapsing and killing scores of people, I'll take the tolls and taxes.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:58 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It will create some jobs, but nearly all union jobs for those who are already steadily employed, and that pipeline jobs are highly specialized in the nature of their skills, so that few if any of those who are currently unemployed will benefit from it.

You can look at the data for TAPS (Trans-Alaskan Pipeline System) that took 9 years to build and see how many people were employed during construction, and then how many people are employed now.

In fact, I'll do that for you, since many of you are too lame to do your own research:

[SIZE=2]http://www.alyeska-pipe.com/employment/TAPS%20Resources.asp
[/SIZE]

There you go.
I can and will refute this claim... Yes, it will be all union. But... the last few years pipeline work has taken a big fall just like the rest of the economy. What few jobs there are are being taken by non-union contractors using a lot of illegal workers. A quick trip to see all the TX work being done will prove this.

During the last boom years (2004-2008) there was so much work that all of the unions that were affiliated with the pipeline increased their memberships so much that now the out-of-work lists are so full that there is no way for them to have full employment. And... you've got to remember... using the IUOE for example... not only does this union have pipeline members, but it also covers operators doing road work and other building and trades projects. These halls are not empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If the choice is between tolls and/or taxes or another bridge collapsing and killing scores of people, I'll take the tolls and taxes.
I would to... I'd love to see our roads and bridges fixed...and am more than willing to pay a toll for those services I use. The same holds true for the pipeline... I use oil/gas products every day, so the pipeline is something we all will use. And bonus.. we don't have to pay for it!!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:06 PM

7,495 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Here's why we shouldn't build it.

- The jobs it will create are temporary.
- The oil being sent through it is not reserved for the US. It will be sold on the open market to the highest bidder, just like all other oil.
- Tar sands extraction is incredibly wasteful of water and other natural resources.
- It may or may not have negative environmental impact on the areas it runs through. Pipelines spring leaks all the time.
You voted for the idiot in the white house didn't you? A pipeline would create and sustain jobs. Well paying jobs for the life of the pipeline. It would also stir other industries through purchase of assets and materials needed to sustain it.

Whether it is sold to Mars is irrelevant. It will create and sustain jobs.

Wasting water? You have got to be ****ting me...

May or may not? Which on is it?

I can't take it anymore.. The ignorance of the Obama ilk is mind numbing

Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
How does eminent domain work? Can a foreign company claim privately owned land or is it your governement that would do that through the agreements reached?

If the line is approved I'm assuming your elected representatives from the various states affected would have had some form of voting powers and if democracy were upheld those land rights were agreed to be ceded by your rep's would they not?

Are we talking about reliqushing ownership and title or an simply an easement granted to bury the thing with granted access to inspectors to patrol it from time to time?

If the pipeline is buried, what impact does this have on future land usage compared to the present?

I'm reading this thread as a Canadian and wondering why we're supporting an endeavour that would result in people being forced off their land etc..

I'd rather see the line go west and sell the stuff to whoever wants it without all of this ire being raised to the south of us.

Last edited by BruSan; 12-16-2011 at 08:47 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Are we talking about reliqushing ownership and title or an simply an easement granted to bury the thing with granted access to inspectors to patrol it from time to time?

If the pipeline is buried, what impact does this have on future land usage compared to the present?

I'd rather see the line go west and sell the stuff to whoever wants it without all of this ire being raised to the south of us.
I can answer a few of these...

It would be a permanent easement. Most of the time just wide enough for the ROW. No machinery or man power can be off the ROW at any time. The land owners are paid for this, including use of any roads to get to the easement. The land owners still own the land. The land must be put back to it's original state during the final clean-up. Sometimes, we end up doing other work for the land-owners. Hubbies guys have built ponds, cleared trees, leveled dirt piles... all because the land owner wanted it done.. we were there.. the equipment was there... we really do try to be good neighbors while working....

This line will be buried. The land is usable but a lot depends on what you want to do to it.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:36 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
You voted for the idiot in the white house didn't you? A pipeline would create and sustain jobs. Well paying jobs for the life of the pipeline. It would also stir other industries through purchase of assets and materials needed to sustain it.
Obviously you can't even be bothered to read further into the thread before getting all huffy puffy. TransCanada has already said it will only create "hundreds" of permanent jobs, so you're incorrect.

I didn't vote for Obama since I don't vote for conservatives.
Quote:
Whether it is sold to Mars is irrelevant. It will create and sustain jobs.
It will create some temporary jobs and sustain few.
Quote:
Wasting water? You have got to be ****ting me...
Yes, water is not unlimited.
Quote:
I can't take it anymore.. The ignorance of the Obama ilk is mind numbing
Your mind is already numb enough.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the Question is do you what to buy Oil from Venezuela run by Hugo Chavez.. who is dictator, supports and arms Iran and lets Russia have a massive military base there and has said in many TV interviews that he hates Canada and the US...

Because by 2015-2016 Canada could replace all the imported oil from Venezuela and decrease the amount that is bought from Saudi Arabia (you know the same Saudia Arabia where 19 out of 20 9/11 Hijackers where from and where Osama was Born and where most of funding for al-qaeda comes from)

The Question is do you want North America to become Energy Independant or do you want to keep buying from OPEC.... Which most of the countries part of OPEC are ones that do not like us and support Terroists and cause alot of the trouble in the ME which we have to send troops in harms way to stop them.
Hugo Chavez can sell his oil anywhere, and i don't care if he's a dictator, supports Iran, and let's Russia have a base in his country. That's TOTALLY irrelavant and meaningless anyway.

And there is no such thing as energy independence. I don't give a damn if we find a trillion barrels under Baltimore....we'll keep buying oil from OPEC.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Come on, dd. YOU of all people know better than to simply slough that off. We may not agree on much, but I figured you for being fairly honest in what you believe. I'm not seeing that in the above statement.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about... Sure, they write it off at the end of the year, but in the mean time, that money is coming out of their pocket. Being able to write off an expense does you know good if that expense is so costly that you don't have the cash flow to keep your doors open because of it.

Answer this, dd. Why aren't you donating the maximum that the IRS will allow you to deduct to various charities each year? You can pick a hundred of 'em and give each one the max. You're just going to "write it off anyway," right?
If you're in the business of buying and using diesel (like i was), it's not that big of a deal competitive-wise because your competitor has to buy it too. I never cared about diesel prices...i just recouped it on my fuel surcharge anyway.

Some of my colleagues didn't see it that way, but i did. It just gets passed along. Whatever. I never complained about the price of diesel...although i did suffer some frustration that the surcharges dropped much faster than they ascended when the price would fluctuate downwards.

Sorry that you think i'm not being honest...but that's how i see it.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Why are we building the Keystone XL? It is my understanding that it is to bring the crude from the Canadian tar sands down to Texas to refine it.

Just wondering why the Canadians don't refine their own products and ship those finished products and keep the waste and by-products up there. Seems like the pipelines needed would be a lot smaller.

Wonderful news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies