Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:01 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The thread is about Incandescent Light Bulbs and Compact Flourescent Light Bulbs (CFLs).

Your "evidence" is based on Tube Fluorescent Bulbs, which are something quite different.

The fact that offices and stores use them rather than indandescents is irrelevant. Its been that way for decades. I use them in my workshop. If you want to outfit your house and the garage that holds the BMW with them, I ain't gonna stop you.

Stick to the topic lest I am forced to expose your dishonesty again. I am building up quite a collection.
This thread should really be about efficiency versus inefficiency. After all, I'm unaware of a law that was going to ban incandescent lamps. Did you hear it differently, or did you just grasp it along those lines as it was handed down to you?

But at least I know now that you're only against CFLs not fluorescent lamps in general. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:15 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
This thread should really be about efficiency versus inefficiency. After all, I'm unaware of a law that was going to ban incandescent lamps. Did you hear it differently, or did you just grasp it along those lines as it was handed down to you?

But at least I know now that you're only against CFLs not fluorescent lamps in general. Right?
Go ahead and start a new thread about it.

Considering you cannot discern between Compact Fluorescent Bulbs and Tube Fluorescent Bulbs, it should prove to be a howl and then some.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Go ahead and start a new thread about it.

Considering you cannot discern between Compact Fluorescent Bulbs and Tube Fluorescent Bulbs, it should prove to be a howl and then some.
What is the difference? I think you could have mentioned that incandescents could be replaced by TUBE fluorescent bulbs.

Nevermind the fact that there was no law banning "incandescent lamp" technology. Was there? So, why does my argument belong elsewhere?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:28 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Some people didn't have headaches before they switched

They switch and now have headaches

Read what the experts say

"not the twisty light bulbs"

Now who ya gonna believe?

Your headaches that you only started to experience after the replacement bulbs or "the experts"

Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Was this really an issue for most of you? Really?

I've replaced all my incandescents indoors with the loopy deals, and aside from the fact that it takes them a few seconds to warm up when I turn them on, the light they give is just as good as the incandescents did (which was not always the case - the original energy efficient bulbs were horrible).

Outside, I use halogens. At some point in the not-so-distant future, I'll probably switch to LED's. I'm not one for the government outright banning a product in an effort to "save me from myself", but I remember Glenn Beck getting all enraged about this one day and thinking "jesus, are our lives so collectively great that this is all we have to worry about? If so, we shouldn't be bitching about anything".
I use mercury vapor on the pole lights and above the barn and shop entrances and halogen on the motion security lights...I doubt the mercury vapor lights will ever be replaced,but I'd like to trade the halogens out for LED when they are no longer at rip off prices.

I have changed all of my boat trailer,car trailer and truck lights over to LED...they look a thousand times better to me.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:32 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
What is the difference? I think you could have mentioned that incandescents could be replaced by TUBE fluorescent bulbs.

Nevermind the fact that there was no law banning "incandescent lamp" technology. Was there? So, why does my argument belong elsewhere?
Oh Brother...

This...is....a...Tube Fluorescent:

shelterrific » Blog Archive » help! how do i recycle my fluorescent bulbs?

This...is...a....Compact Fluorescent:

File:Compact-Fluorescent-Bulb.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition to the seemingly obvious difference in terminology (Compact, Tube), please note that they also look radically different. One is small, hence the word "Compact", while the other is long and slender, hence the word, "Tube".

As for replacing Incandescents with Tube Fluorescents, if you want to stick a Tube Fluorescent in your desk lamp or table lamp, please, go right ahead and give it a try. That would be more comical than the idiocy you have already posted.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Oh Brother...

This...is....a...Tube Fluorescent:

shelterrific » Blog Archive » help! how do i recycle my fluorescent bulbs?

This...is...a....Compact Fluorescent:

File:Compact-Fluorescent-Bulb.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition to the seemingly obvious difference in terminology (Compact, Tube), please note that they also look radically different. One is small, hence the word "Compact", while the other is long and slender, hence the word, "Tube".

As for replacing Incandescents with Tube Fluorescents, if you want to stick a Tube Fluorescent in your desk lamp or table lamp, please, go right ahead and give it a try. That would be more comical than the idiocy you have already posted.
So, you don't have a problem with fluorescent lamps, as long as they aren't "compact".

And you wouldn't dare touch the fact that "incandescent bulbs" wasn't being outlawed. Right?

Old 12-16-2011, 04:49 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:

Go back and read the article I posted under this topic to see the difference.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Some people didn't have headaches before they switched

They switch and now have headaches

Read what the experts say

"not the twisty light bulbs"

Now who ya gonna believe?

Your headaches that you only started to experience after the replacement bulbs or "the experts"
Not everyone gets headaches from fluorescent bulbs but I don't discount those who say their headaches are from these bulbs.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:02 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
I think they're ugly and often they stick up over my lampshades or out of the end of my fixtures and the light is harsh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies