Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Say "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas"?
Happy Holidays 31 24.22%
Merry Christmas 97 75.78%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's best never to assume or stereotype, and same goes for Middle Easterners, they aren't all Muslims, many are Christians, and celebrate Christmas.
And, most of those Christian Arabs that celebrate Christmas live in Israel.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really? you must be the liberal type that hates the poor instead. glad you enjoyed making an ass of yourself.

the only reason there are holidays during that time is because of Christmas. if Christmas was not at that time, there would be no holiday either.
Well hopefully, this was a joke from that "Grinch WestCobb" "No Holiday", is probably, what he would like best.

That way he can drink his secular tonic and be grumpy all year long!!!

Hey WestCobb put some Christmas-y in your drink, you might get a big surprise!!!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
figures, another liberal feelgood type. you still dont know a damn thing about war fobbit.
This thread is absurd, monkey. It's not meant to be serious. However, since you want it to be, pray tell how much combat you've seen? What qualifies you to call me a "fobbit" ?

Last edited by WestCobb; 12-19-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This thread is absurd, monkey. It's not meant to be serious. However, since you want it to be, pray tell how much combat you've seen? What qualifies you to call me a "fobbit" ?

enough to know what it takes to shoot someone while they are shooting back at you. if you think that war is crapping on someone who says merry christmas to you, then you are a sad person indeed.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
enough to know what it takes to shoot someone while they are shooting back at you. if you think that war is crapping on someone who says merry christmas to you, then you are a sad person indeed.
Uh huh, monkey. I'm sure that's plenty for you to climb on some high horse in the broken down watering hole you frequent. (What I'm gathering is you did some field training exercises in the 80s or so? Is that about right?)

It doesn't impress me much though. I have spent just about every other year since 2003 deployed to combat areas. The war in Iraq is over? Big whoop. I will be heading out early next year for Afghanistan for another go round. I suspect I will continue to deploy just about every other year until the 2020s judging by the recent headlines.

General: 'We're not leaving' Afghanistan

Just because you're a conservative or whatever you call yourself (not a liberal) doesn't make you a tough guy.

Happy Holidays.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:16 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Uh huh, monkey. I'm sure that's plenty for you to climb on some high horse in the broken down watering hole you frequent. (What I'm gathering is you did some field training exercises in the 80s or so? Is that about right?)

It doesn't impress me much though. I have spent just about every other year since 2003 deployed to combat areas. The war in Iraq is over? Big whoop. I will be heading out early next year for Afghanistan for another go round. I suspect I will continue to deploy just about every other year until the 2020s judging by the recent headlines.

General: 'We're not leaving' Afghanistan

Just because you're a conservative or whatever you call yourself (not a liberal) doesn't make you a tough guy.

Happy Holidays.

not some high horse fob, you might think you are special because you are some armchair general or some battalion commanders driver. I might have done my time in 80's and 90's, but at least i did it honorably. you say you are heading out to afghanistan, have fun driving that commander about, that is all fobs are good for.

i also dont think about going into wally world or some other joint looking to get someone fired because they say merry christmas to me, as that is what the holiday season is about. also remember that our country was founded upon judeo/christian beliefs, not some mambypamby belief that goverment provides all. good luck with your driving ability over in the sandbox, or mountain region, if that is really where you are going.

good luck voting for obama again too. not too many actual active duty soldiers i knew in the military would ever vote liberal. guess that has changed now with a hope and chains president.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
I keep my Christmas to myself and family. In public I say, 'Have a good holiday season', especially if I don't know the other persons religious preferences.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
not some high horse fob, you might think you are special because you are some armchair general or some battalion commanders driver. I might have done my time in 80's and 90's, but at least i did it honorably. you say you are heading out to afghanistan, have fun driving that commander about, that is all fobs are good for.

i also dont think about going into wally world or some other joint looking to get someone fired because they say merry christmas to me, as that is what the holiday season is about. also remember that our country was founded upon judeo/christian beliefs, not some mambypamby belief that goverment provides all. good luck with your driving ability over in the sandbox, or mountain region, if that is really where you are going.

good luck voting for obama again too. not too many actual active duty soldiers i knew in the military would ever vote liberal. guess that has changed now with a hope and chains president.
lol... wrong again. I do plenty of time outside of the wire -- enough to where I feel absolutely no need to prove anything to anyone.

LOL. I was right??? So you spent some time training against the Ruskies back when Rambo was in the movie theaters, and now you think you're an action hero? LOL.

As a rule, I don't play the "my service is bigger than your service" game. I do plenty for this country, and I appreciate those who have contributed as well. Thank you for your one weekend a month, two weeks a year back in 1985. That was a big help. Sincerely. This liberal will take it from here.

(Thank you for that nasty rep point, btw. I don't mind going to Afghanistan one bit. It's what I do. I can say this for the Afghans whom you hope will teach me some manners, they are at least qualified to do so. Those guys have seen some real combat, not joke wargame exercises. Sorry your service wasn't as intimidating as you hoped it would be. I'm sure that trick will work on someone else though.)

Have a happy holiday.

Last edited by WestCobb; 12-19-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
really? you must be the liberal type that hates the poor instead. glad you enjoyed making an ass of yourself.

the only reason there are holidays during that time is because of christmas. if christmas was not at that time, there would be no holiday either.
Clearly sarcasm is lost on you, LOL. Did you really think he was being serious??

And just an FYI, there actually are a few other holidays this time of year - Christmas is the biggest holiday in December, yes, but it's certainly not the ONLY reason this is called a "holiday season!" Matter of fact, tomorrow is the first night of Chanukah, which is totally unrelated and not dependent on Christmas... and since you guys are so concerned with being "accurate," you're all wishing people a Happy Chanukah this week. Right?? Yeah, I'm sure. Thankfully we're not as self-absorbed as some Christians, though, so you won't be seeing any "War on Chanukah" threads anytime soon.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-19-2011 at 05:54 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Clearly sarcasm is lost on you, LOL. Did you really think he was being serious??

And just an FYI, there actually are a few other holidays this time of year - so if Christmas didn't exist, we'd still have plenty of things to celebrate now. Christmas is the biggest holiday in December, yes, but it's certainly not the only reason this is called a "holiday season!" Matter of fact, tomorrow night is the first night of Chanukah, which is totally unrelated and not dependent on Christmas. Hmmm, I guess since you guys are so concerned with being "accurate," you're all wishing people a Happy Chanukah this week. Right?? Yeah, I'm sure.
My real point is that NO ONE is offended by Merry Christmas. Sure, there is probably one in a million who are, but there are probably more adults with imaginary friends than people who get bent out of shape about others saying Merry Christmas.

If my Wal*Mart story was true -- and it was NOT -- I would either a) be bounced out of the store for being a loon or b) the manager would play along with me and apologize for his employee's greeting and then mock me mercilessly when I left. It's truly sad that there are people who are so paronoid about the "liberal war on Christmas" that they believed that someone could actually get fired for being nice.

I accept all holiday greetings that are extended in the spirit of good will. I'm not particularly impressed with those who say Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays) to score political points though.

This is the one time of year we should all promote peace toward our fellow human beings. Some of you may be interested to know that the Iraqis I have met always made a point of wishing us Christains good tidings and congratulations on Christmas day. They also usually offered us holiday treats. I, and most Americans, extended the courtesy by wishing them well on Eid (the final day of Ramadan, which is their big "Christmas" like holiday). It's sad that some "red" and "blue" Americans can't be as decent toward each other as Muslims and Christains in Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies