Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Say "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas"?
Happy Holidays 31 24.22%
Merry Christmas 97 75.78%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
If you took the time you would've seen all comments were made by non-Christians. Post #13,#35,#38,#43,#45,#46,#47,#105 & #117
Where did I say no non-Christians responded? But if you go back through the older threads (even YEARS back), it's always the "They're declaring war on Christmas" BS that starts this argument... and I always swear not to get involved, but somehow it sucks me in every time. Funny thing is, this has never been an issue I've faced in real life - only on the Internet.

Quote:
You really don't have any proof who did it. Maybe, it was one of your lefty friends just trying to push a little hate in your heart............did you think of that.
Actually I do, since we finished the conversation via private message... amusing deflection attempt, though.

Quote:
My eyes are open, I caught who was saying "War on Christmas" as you had a glaze over yours, trying to accuse Christians of saying that in this thread.
This thread, not really... it's just a continuation of the other debates on this topic, which you seem to be missing. I'm not going to argue childishly over who started it anymore, but you need to read beyond this thread if you're not getting it.

To summarize my responses to the original issue... nobody is declaring war on any holiday, and I couldn't care less if somebody wishes me a Merry Christmas. And to answer THIS thread specifically, I say both Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas (or Happy Chanukah) depending on the situation. We good?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Where did I say no non-Christians responded? But if you go back through the older threads (even YEARS back), it's always the "They're declaring war on Christmas" BS that starts this argument... and I always swear not to get involved, but somehow it sucks me in every time. Funny thing is, this has never been an issue I've faced in real life - only on the Internet.
You must be tired!! It was non-Christians who posted about war on Christmas. I couldn't find one Christian on THIS Thread talking about war on Christmas. I do agree, I only see this argument on forums.
Quote:
Actually I do, since we finished the conversation via private message... amusing deflection attempt, though.
Sure you wouldn't admit it wasn't a Christian who gave you the rep, even if you knew.
Deflection.........don't think so
Quote:
This thread, not really... it's just a continuation of the other debates on this topic, which you seem to be missing. I'm not going to argue childishly over who started it anymore, but you need to read beyond this thread if you're not getting it.

To summarize my responses to the original issue... nobody is declaring war on any holiday, and I couldn't care less if somebody wishes me a Merry Christmas. And to answer THIS thread specifically, I say both Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas (or Happy Chanukah) depending on the situation. We good?
I try not to confuse other threads with the one I'm posting about, that just wouldn't make to much sense. No arguing needed, the proof is through out the thread who started it.
For the record this thread was "never" about the war on Christmas, some just turned it into that. Then it went to other holidays, not being a part of Christmas. Nothing to do with being good, just keeping on topic and trying not to input, what's not there.
Happy Chanukah...........

Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You must be tired!! It was non-Christians who posted about war on Christmas. I couldn't find one Christian on THIS Thread talking about war on Christmas. I do agree, I only see this argument on forums.
I'll say it one more time... this thread turned into a continuation of the OTHERS, which is how the "war on Christmas" conversation got going. Regardless of who started that on THIS thread, the overall topic is not one that we (non-Christians) generally care about. Got it?

Quote:
Sure you wouldn't admit it wasn't a Christian who gave you the rep, even if you knew.
Deflection.........don't think so
What? If I'm understanding you, I never said it was or wasn't a Christian... just trying to keep their anonymity (as per the TOS), and that's the only reason I haven't named names. But if you must know, it is somebody who celebrates Christmas, and pretty sure they're not a "lefty" either. Not even sure I'm a "lefty," LOL.

Quote:
I try not to confuse other threads with the one I'm posting about, that just wouldn't make to much sense. No arguing needed, the proof is through out the thread who started it.
For the record this thread was "never" about the war on Christmas, some just turned it into that. Then it went to other holidays, not being a part of Christmas. Nothing to do with being good, just keeping on topic and trying not to input, what's not there.
Happy Chanukah...........
Yes, this thread did go off-topic (as is typical of this forum), and I honestly can't say if it was the fault of a Christian or not... since you insist on pointing fingers, it was post #4 by Wayland Woman which first brought up the topic here. //www.city-data.com/forum/22159343-post4.html

I don't know her religion, do you?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:16 PM

P.S. Funny how you omitted post #4 from your list above... talk about reading with blinders, hehe.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:25 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Why does it even matter enough to start another thread on this worn out and jaded subject? As other posters (with common sense) have stated, one might tailor their greeting to fit the recipient. A no brainer.

OP...Do you end your letters with "Yours Truly" or "Sincerely"? It is just as relevant as the question you posed.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Ya, you should have had a poll choice for 'both'. I tailor what I say to who I'm saying it too. Little kids and known Christians always get 'Merry Christmas' as do people who say it to me first. I say 'Happy Holidays' very early in the season and to people I know don't celebrate Christmas. I hate the manufactured, so-called war against Christmas that comes up every year. People have been saying 'Happy Holidays' for over a half century and probably longer.
Yes, "Happy Holidays" has been said for decades, but it is now used in the popular culture far more than Merry Christmas and in lieu of Merry Christmas. While more people individually say "Merry Christmas", corporations and the media rarely do. They're filled with a bunch of pathetic, sick pansies who are too afraid to say something so pure and wonderful.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Yes, "Happy Holidays" has been said for decades, but it is now used in the popular culture far more than Merry Christmas and in lieu of Merry Christmas. While more people individually say "Merry Christmas", corporations and the media rarely do. They're filled with a bunch of pathetic, sick pansies who are too afraid to say something so pure and wonderful.
You're a bit late to the party... read the hundreds of other comments on this, if you want some real perspective on the issue.

Say whatever you want, who's stopping you?? Nobody seems to be stopping the "corporations" either, judging by how many Christmas commercials, TV specials, decorations, etc, I'm seeing this month. Matter of fact, I'm watching a CHRISTMAS "Next Great Baker" episode right now - and they've said the word like 100 times in 20 minutes. What more do you guys want, a federal law declaring nobody say the word HOLIDAY for 3 months? Sheesh.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
I grew up saying "Happy Holidays", and will continue to do so, because it makes the most logical sense. Not only is Christmas celebrated in the season, but also Hanukkah and New Years.
No one even thinks about New Years until the week after Christmas, so don't act like people are saying "Happy Holidays" to refer to anything other than Christmas. New Years is an afterthought until after Christmas.

Only two percent of the population celebrates Hanukkah. This isn't a Jewish nation. Even in Israel Hannukah is a minor holiday compared to the other Jewish holidays such as Rosh Hashanah and Passover.

Christians vastly outnumber Jews and are a solid majority. Hence, Christians dictate the culture of the country, and the social norms of the holiday season, as they pertain to Christians, hold more precedence. Thus, Christmas and Hannukah are not equal in importance. Christmas is far more important to most people of this country and the society at large.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique27 View Post
Happy Holiday's out of respect for every religion..
Sounds like you're a weak man or woman, indoctrinated with so much politically correct guilt for your own cultural/religious background that you'd generalize it with something so bland as "Happy Holidays". Talk about someone of weak character and principles. Too many people these days are like you, which is a shame.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
No one even thinks about New Years until the week after Christmas, so don't act like people are saying "Happy Holidays" to refer to anything other than Christmas. New Years is an afterthought until after Christmas.
I do... but I guess I don't count in your little world, since I'm part of the "minority." So much for equality.

Quote:
Only two percent of the population celebrates Hanukkah. This isn't a Jewish nation. Even in Israel Hannukah is a minor holiday compared to the other Jewish holidays such as Rosh Hashanah and Passover.
Again, so much for equality! Most of us don't care if you acknowledge Chanukah, we just appreciate when people recognize not everyone celebrates Christmas... there are non-Jewish folks who don't celebrate either, so it's not just 2% if you wanna get specific. Also getting specific, this isn't actually a Christian nation.

Quote:
Christians vastly outnumber Jews and are a solid majority. Hence, Christians dictate the culture of the country, and the social norms of the holiday season, as they pertain to Christians, hold more precedence. Thus, Christmas and Hannukah are not equal in importance. Christmas is far more important to most people of this country and the society at large.
Sorry, but majority doesn't automatically rule in this country... if you want to live in a religious dictatorship, try the Middle East or Africa. Christmas may be important to the majority of Americans, but it's not important to everyone - and that's a fact, whether or not you like it. Not to mention, there are more than just Jews and Christians in the United States, last time I checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies