Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Say "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas"?
Happy Holidays 31 24.22%
Merry Christmas 97 75.78%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:53 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Jesus is God. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Your own scriptures, if you are Jewish, speak of a Messiah to come. Jews simply denied Christ.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God, and the Word was with God, and the Word became Flesh. That is Jesus. Jesus and God are the same. There is no idolatry here.
I think you missed his point... if I understand correctly, he was explaining why it would be sinful for ME to speak of Jesus, as you were suggesting I do (in a public institution, nonetheless). And since I am Jewish, you were basically asking me to commit a mortal sin - which is rather disrespectful, if you think about it. I'm not as religious as Walter, but that particular request would have made me very uncomfortable!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You are OFF TOPIC! The topic IS Do You Say "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas"?

NOT "Cherry Pick Quotes That have Nothing to do with Christmas or Christmas greetings"

And the title SHOULD'VE been

"Silly, Meaningless Crap to Worry About"
And a very Merry Christmas to you too, or "happy Holidays" if that will unbunch your bloomers.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
Personally, I say "Merry Christmas". I'm not Jewish.
Last time I went to the bank, another customer was leaving and told the teller, "Merry Christmas", but the teller rather pointedly replied, "Happy Holidays", as if correcting him or something.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Do You Say "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas" during the Christmas season?
Neither.

And Christmas isn't a season.

4 Seasons in a Year (kids song) - YouTube

Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Personally, I say "Merry Christmas". I'm not Jewish.
Last time I went to the bank, another customer was leaving and told the teller, "Merry Christmas", but the teller rather pointedly replied, "Happy Holidays", as if correcting him or something.
It's crazy. Fact 1) the majority celebrate Christmas in the US. 2) Saying Merry Christmas is just a gesture of good tidings just as happy new year is, or happy birthday, for which no one should find offense, and if they do, they are jerks looking for a reason to complain. 3) The career whiners will always find something to be offended by, so if they don't get bent over saying "happy Holiday" it's only because they're too stupid to realize that the word "Holiday" is short for Holy Day ... but then, we already knew that because they were offended by Merry Christmas.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Of course I'd expect you to blame me... typical response from someone who probably agrees with what they said.
May not agree with you......... but you're an American, just because you're Jewish, is no reason, to ask you to return to Israel. Now, just how Christian would that be?

If that person says "Merry Christmas" which you said they do, wouldn't that be just a bit out of line. For most in America, weather people like it or not, celebrate Christmas, because it represents the birth of Christ............. Who was Jewish.

Ah, this "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays", no wonder people took up drinking............

Old 12-20-2011, 11:25 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
May not agree with you......... but you're an American, just because you're Jewish, is no reason, to ask you to return to Israel. Now, just how Christian would that be?
Not very!! But many people here (and IRL) claim to be Christian, and then do things I believe your Lord would find rather dismaying... the old saying WWJD apparently depends on who you ask. Glad to hear you're not supporting those comments, for what it's worth.

Quote:
If that person says "Merry Christmas" which you said they do, wouldn't that be just a bit out of line. For most in America, weather people like it or not, celebrate Christmas, because it represents the birth of Christ............. Who was Jewish.
Not sure I get what you're saying, but I don't consider it to be offensive or "out of line" really. Perhaps a bit ignorant if they KNOW I'm Jewish, otherwise I just reply politely and go about my day. And while Jesus was born a Jew, obviously the holiday of Christmas is now a Christian-based celebration. Interesting thought, however - LOL.

Quote:
Ah, this "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays", no wonder people took up drinking............
No kidding, eh? As I suggested to somebody (you?) earlier, I think we both need a big glass of eggnog... L'Chaim/Cheers!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 PM

172 posts, read 298,308 times
I'll say either, but "Merry Christmas" more often. Oh, and I'm an atheist.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
I hate religion.. so I say.. merry christmas.. then I eat a candy cane for good measure!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:39 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP2011 View Post
That is a matter of differing opinion. I call Chanukah a fairy tale - now how do you feel? You can have your beliefs but stop bashing other people's beliefs with your thinly veiled ethnocentrism.

And FYI - Christmas is a federal holiday, if you're an American, have a Merry Christmas.

Less insulted then when a Christians book is called a fairytale.......

Christians get their knickers tied up in a knot when their bible is called a fairytale or when Jesus is called a man god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies