Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:25 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In my experience, Democrats are eager to tax more while also throwing a bone to their favored classes.
That certainly isn't renters, is it? They're screwing renters, which are more likely to be low-income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
There's a myriad of options for those who can afford them. What do non-autodidacts do when the options are unaffordable?
Become an autodidact. Nothing is stopping you except your choice to not do so.

Community colleges are inexpensive and the government provides plenty of grants to low-income students. Your posts seem to indicate that you're long on excuses and short on personal responsibility.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
[quote=InformedConsent;22172101]That certainly isn't renters, is it? They're screwing renters, which are more likely to be low-income. [/quot

They occasionally throw bones to groups from which they hope to get votes, or from which they expect to gain favorable political posturing. It's like they're playing Good Cop Bad Cop. The bad cop screws renters with taxes and regulation, and the good cop comes to the rescue with rent subsidies and tax credits.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
They occasionally throw bones to groups from which they hope to get votes, or from which they expect to gain favorable political posturing. It's like they're playing Good Cop Bad Cop. The bad cop screws renters with taxes and regulation, and the good cop comes to the rescue with rent subsidies and tax credits.
Renters get tax credits?

Old 12-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Renters get tax credits?
In some states they do. (horrors)

A number of states have "circuit breaker" property taxes which function to rebate "excess" property taxes (defined as property taxes above a specified percentage of income) to homeowners through income tax credits.

A few states (most do not) actually extend these tax credits to renters, usually through some one-size-fits-all calculation involving a specific percentage of rent which is imputed to constitute the property taxes paid by a renter. Since this is a one-size-fits-all calcuation, renters paying a high proportion of income on rent get a larger tax credit than those paying a lower proportion, and usually most renters don't pay enough to qualify. I once had a great deal where I ended up paying well-below-market rent (lived there 15 years, landlord was retired and not rent-aggressive and I didn't have one rent increase the whoile time) but the downside was that while property taxes represented 40% of the rent I paid, the tax credit formula applied a much smaller percentage to property tax and I did not qualify for the credit as a renter. (If I had been a homeowner in the same house, I would have qualified for a tax credit in the neighborhood of $500 per year

Old 12-18-2011, 01:03 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
There will always be income gaps, like there have always been gaps in the sidewalk.

When it grows to a massive chasm it should be fixed, probably when it was much smaller and easier to manage.

People want to close the massive chasm, not tear down the successful. Is that really very hard to understand?
And how do you propose to do this? Take money away from the rich and give it to the poor? Legislate how much someone can make?

Even if we conservatives agreed with you, there is no acceptable way to close this "gap". In other words you do not have the answers to your own burning issues.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Become an autodidact. Nothing is stopping you except your choice to not do so.

Actually, after several not-very-profitable attempts, I've found a niche in which I have become very knowledgable, and am able to make money buying and reselling online. Also I am working on two related long-term projects which if completed will have actual created product which should be more profitable than the reselling component; these I expect to have in marketable form by next fall. (My plan is to launch one at a specific trade show.)

It's slow ramping up but there will be points at which profitability will soar rapidly (like when the products launch). I feel as if I have to do everything the hard way and that there are a few things that would speed up the process, namely a few specific hardware and software items and more space. My whole life operates out of a 12 x 12 room and the stuff I'm reselling is taking up an awful lot of that space.

But a year from now I think I'll be able to relax a little and say it was all worth it.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
In some states they do. (horrors)
Then why are there so many complaints on C-D about homeowners getting tax deductions that renters don't get?

Old 12-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I feel as if I have to do everything the hard way
The vast majority of successful people have had to do it "the hard way." Even among the richest 400 Americans, over 2/3 (68.5%) are self-made.

Secrets Of The Self-Made - Forbes.com

Old 12-18-2011, 02:56 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
People want to close the massive chasm, not tear down the successful. Is that really very hard to understand?
Here's the difference. Your side wants to tear down the successful to life up the bottom. FACT.

Our side wants to lift the bottom, middle, top by creating opportunity, of which this country has a WEALTH of.

If they are ambitious, dedicated and work hard, they might get to the top.

Do you understand how many businesses, small and large, were started by people at the bottom, out of nothing but an idea?

But again, THIS poll, along with the one about what scares Americans most, should send up a major red flag to obama and the dems - their class warfare, income inequality, rich vs poor rhetoric is not working.

See, most people have a good understanding of the how this country became the greatest nation in the world......and that FACT is polar opposite to obama's version of history and his vision for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies