Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

Please let us not ape the love it or leave it meme of the ultra right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 02:10 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
No, I don't jest. I'm a citizen of the British Commonwealth (which, yes, includes Canada). I don't consider that "big government". It's "different government". "Big government" is Finland, Denmark, China, et al.

No, liberals want the government to provide absolutely everything for them, all whilst not actually working to earn anything. Liberal hotbeds like Huffington Post are littered with liberals who want the government to dictate what you can eat, what you can carry, what someone else will pay to provide for them, what services they should get for free, how the government should provide everybody jobs and entitlement benefits, etc.

In short, liberals in America want a government that will give them things like health care and education....but they don't want to chip in to cover the costs.

I never understood why righties always have this notion that liberals don't believe in hard work. We just believe those who are incompetent should gain a little assistance since they can't do anything on their own.

Liberals want the government to tell us what to eat? Are you kidding me? Liberals just don't find it absurd for government officials to say what is healthy or unhealthy to eat. I have no problem with Michelle Obama telling children what is healthy to eat.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:19 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I never understood why righties always have this notion that liberals don't believe in hard work. We just believe those who are incompetent should gain a little assistance since they can't do anything on their own.

Liberals want the government to tell us what to eat? Are you kidding me? Liberals just don't find it absurd for government officials to say what is healthy or unhealthy to eat. I have no problem with Michelle Obama telling children what is healthy to eat.
So bad decision making and lack of marketable skills should be rewarded to you? Gotcha.

And no, liberals don't just want government to say what's healthy or not (not that people should need the government to do that). Liberals want the government to actively tax things they consider "unsavory" (sugar taxes, soda taxes, premium meats taxes, etc.) in order to shape the way the public behaves. You know...basically telling them what to eat.

You can try to phrase it however you like - you've outed yourself as exactly what I've described.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:35 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,024 times
Quote:
Tons of Americans move to those countries. Heck, I plan on moving to Canada after I finish college.
....raising the IQ levels in both countries.....

Sorry,...just couldn't resist. My bad....

Old 12-18-2011, 08:38 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Why won't they move to the Amazon Rain Forest or Sub Saharan Africa if they don't want big government? There, you can be free and do whatever you want.
Huh? So should we suggest liberals leave who disapprove of conservative legislation? This is the weakest of all arguments.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:38 AM

15 posts, read 20,858 times
Quote:
Canada isn't big government...
Sure it is.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Tons of Americans move to those countries. Heck, I plan on moving to Canada after I finish college.

Are you going there illegally?

Because from your past posts you seem to have no problem with people coming to the US illegally...

Are you going to practice what you preach?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:48 AM

158 posts, read 256,473 times
Quote:
Why won't they move to the Amazon Rain Forest or Sub Saharan Africa if they don't want big government? There, you can be free and do whatever you want.
Your jab at "Sub Saharan Africa" doesn't considering Africa is filled with high centralized governments or simply called dictatorships. I don't think libertarians would like it there very much...

Old 12-18-2011, 08:48 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
No, liberals want the government to provide absolutely everything for them, all whilst not actually working to earn anything. Liberal hotbeds like Huffington Post are littered with liberals who want the government to dictate what you can eat, what you can carry, what someone else will pay to provide for them, what services they should get for free, how the government should provide everybody jobs and entitlement benefits, etc.

In short, liberals in America want a government that will give them things like health care and education....but they don't want to chip in to cover the costs.
In short, you don't know what you're talking about. You've taken an extreme view or demonization of people you don't like and accepted it as the standard. I direct you back to knowledgeiskey's correction.

Libertarians will never be happy because they think they exist in a vacuum, responsible only to themselves. Space, that final frontier, is the only place where they can be free of all other entanglements. Perhaps a term there will make them realize that they are indeed part of a collective, like it or not.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:50 AM

15 posts, read 20,858 times
Quote:
No, I don't jest. I'm a citizen of the British Commonwealth (which, yes, includes Canada). I don't consider that "big government". It's "different government". "Big government" is Finland, Denmark, China, et al.
You are wrong. I am born and bred Scandinavian. Scandinavia is top heavy government but not big government compared to Canada or the US for that matter. In North America you have 3 levels of government that tries its best to impact your life, local, state/province and federal. In Scandinavia you have the same 3 levels but for what matters in your life local and state rarely impact you. No one knows what the state level does anymore, big waste of resources. N.A. local and state are far more visible, so compared to N.A. Scandinavian countries are not big government but rather top heavy. Pressure on individuals are probably greater in N.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies