Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,495,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
So the entire Old Testament has been superceded? Or is it just certain parts?

If the Old Testament is no longer valid why do Christians still want to display the 10 Commandments?

Why is the gay hatred still OK, wasn't that in the Old Testament?

Christians follow Jesus. Jesus did not throw out the Ten Commandments but He did fulfill many laws of the Old testament so we don't follow everything in the Old Testament now. The Jews still do though. Jesus did not throw out the law against men having sex with men even if some gays want us to believe even Jesus was a gay man now. I won't believe in that perversion----call me old fashioned.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 PM

15,858 posts, read 21,418,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Christians follow Jesus. Jesus did not throw out the Ten Commandments but He did fulfill many laws of the Old testament so we don't follow everything in the Old Testament now. The Jews still do though. Jesus did not throw out the law against men having sex with men even if some gays want us to believe even Jesus was a gay man now. I won't believe in that perversion----call me old fashioned.
So why are the rules of Jesus "from another era" yet your 2000 year old rules are hunky dory?

Sidenote: That feeling you feel right now? That's called being caught in a fallacy. It happens when you're wrong.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,370,675 times
Quote:
"many of the laws"

When did he pick and choose?

I must have missed that chapter when I took religious studies.

(hint, he never did. What Jesus meant by "fulfill" was not to abolish, but was to secure them because he felt that the Jewish leadership at the time were out of line with Mosaic law. If there was a Jesus at all, which is debatable becasue there are few, if any, references to him before about 500 years later)

Old 07-25-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So why are the rules of Jesus "from another era" yet your 2000 year old rules are hunky dory?

Sidenote: That feeling you feel right now? That's called being caught in a fallacy. It happens when you're wrong.
The Ten Commandants are fallacy? You may be right with the way so many are living their lives now.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
The Ten Commandants are fallacy? You may be right with the way so many are living their lives now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00
And it's impossible for gentiles to have a marriage that is recognized by G-d. Are you living in sin?

Quote:
You must be living in another era, maybe in the Old Testament.
You believe in a false prophet and ignore the Bible. On what grounds do you have to say that gay marriage is wrong when, if you are married yourself in an unbiblical way (read: gentile), you are living in sin?

Waiting patiently...

Old 07-25-2012, 04:48 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,682,595 times
Quote:
He will take their money gladly, all while sending a portion of that money to organizations that call gays abominations and encourage them to turn straight. That's VERY different from simply stating an opinion.

I don't think you know what freedom of speech means. THAT is a sad day for America.

It was the mayor of my proud city of Boston who said that. Boston has one of the lowest unemployment rates (6%) and lowest crime rate of any major city in the US. The Chick-fil-a is being proposed right on the Freedom Trail across the street from the Holocaust memorial - one of the most powerful places in the city. Yes, the world is turned upsidedown if Chick-fil-a thinks that they can take such actions without consequences.

The Chick-fil-a in a mall in the Boston metro was empty. Mayor Menino was speaking for the people of this great state that was the first to legalize gay marriage.
I wonder if you know what FREEDOM means. Now THAT is sad.
What an individual does with his money is no business of anyone in a free society, as long as it is within the laws of the land. That is no reason to boycott and attempt to FORCE someone to subscribe to YOUR views/principles/values.

Mayor? you mean Mayor mumbles? I know him well.

I think the business is very appropriate on the Freedom Trail. As for the Holocaust Memorial being cited as reason for its inappropriateness there, do you realize that Christians in this country are staunch supporters of Israel?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
You believe in a false prophet and ignore the Bible. On what grounds do you have to say that gay marriage is wrong when, if you are married yourself in an unbiblical way (read: gentile), you are living in sin?

Waiting patiently...
I may be Jewish for all you know. Ever heard of Messianic Jews?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I wonder if you know what FREEDOM means. Now THAT is sad.
What an individual does with his money is no business of anyone in a free society, as long as it is within the laws of the land. That is no reason to boycott and attempt to FORCE someone to subscribe to YOUR views/principles/values.
There is also no reason to donate so much as 1 cent to an organization I do not support. Buying something from Chickfila means that I would be giving financial support to organizations I find reprehensible. That is freedom.

Quote:
Mayor of Boston? you mean Mayor mumbles? I know him well.

I think the business is very appropriate on the Freedom Trail. As for the Holocaust Memorial being cited as reason for its inappropriateness there, do you realize that Christians in this country are staunch supporters of Israel?
So you do know that homosexuals were targeted in the concentration camps, right? They were given pink triangles and treated particularly cruely. Supporting Israel (which is done for inappropriate reasons) does not negate the bad things that many Christians support in THIS country that affects your fellow citizens.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I may be Jewish for all you know. Ever heard of Messianic Jews?
Not Jewish. One cannot be Messianic and Jewish - you can be a Christian who follows Jewish principles but as long as you worship an idol and false prophet, you are not Jewish and therefore are likely living in sin.

So, are you? If so, on what grounds do you have to stand on to deny gay marriage?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 PM

569 posts, read 670,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I heard an interview wih Cathy (founder) on Huckabee...he said he absolutely serves everyone who comes in his restaurants and does not discriminate toward anyone. But he believes in traditional marriage, one man and one woman and I hope he stands his ground because he has a right to his beliefs. He's not hurting anyone, just stating his beliefs...which I used to think we had a right to in this country.

The day is here when we have lost our freedom of speech. We aren't allowed to have an opinion on anything that isn't totally PC and even beyond that. Lots of people work for companies where they are forced to act like they accept all these lifestyles, one cannot even be neutral, or else you are a bigot, hater, etc. The only people who have freedom of speech are the left, they can say and do anything they please and we all have to go along with it. It's a sad day for America.

Chicago mayor says Chick-Fil-A has no place in their city...oh, but it's fine that there are like how many murders a day (mostly in black communities) in Chicago and nobody is picketing and outraged. Everybody gets outraged over a chicken sandwich. Yes, the world is turned upside down.
This is silly. You are certainly welcome to have your opinion as is Mr. Cathy. Once that opinion becomes public then the public is free to either support or not support the business. Simple as that.

Is he selling chicken or running for office? If he is selling chicken he really should be concerned about alienating paying customers. I certainly won't support (give my money) to a business that has practices I find problematic. I don't have to make that choice since they aren't located near me but feel it is the right of anyone to not give Mr. Cathy and his business any more money that can be funneled into political issues they don't agree with. Just as those that supported the Million Moms who boycotted JC Penny after Ellen became their spokesperson. Your money, your choice who you support.

To the person who compared this to taxes going where you don't want it to. No one can choose where their tax money goes. You can try via votes but other than that you deal with it. The $ in my pocket is spent only where I say it can be spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.