Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You know how this goes. The Church was taken to court.

This goes way beyond just a disagreement---this goes into violating ones conscience. People are more and more forced to violate their consciences now and you will see it more in the future. Soon one can be charge with a hate crime for saying gay marriage is wrong. How about that for being taken to court----it is coming and it's coming fast.
I see.

Answer this, please.

"To me, these are some examples of what I feel are traditional, family values. I cherish and uphold the following:

These are what I feel are important to the fabric of American society and allowing homosexuals to marry will destroy this."

There not so hard now is it?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It happens here on CD forum every day.
Cool.

Answer this, then. It's simple for you to do so -

"To me, these are some examples of what I feel are traditional, family values. I cherish and uphold the following:

These are what I feel are important to the fabric of American society and allowing homosexuals to marry will destroy this."

There not so hard now is it?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
How is it then that my sister's sister-in-law is adopting through Catholic Charities right now?
Has she been truthful with them? I assume she is gay?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,771,530 times
Not all gay men can become priests. You've gotta let some of them get married!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
There are many straight couples on lists to adopt special needs children. I don't know the stats to who is the higher number on the list so no one knows what number is larger. I do know the Catholic Church has had to close their adotion agencies because gays are forcing them to let them adopt and they cannot go along with that. How many children fall through the cracks after that happened?
There are more kids that need adoption then there are parents.

Period.

There is no argument there, its a fact.

As such, Foster kids and adoptive kids are a hell of a lot better off in a loving homosexual family, then in a state run facility.

That also is a fact.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
There are many straight couples on lists to adopt special needs children. I don't know the stats to who is the higher number on the list so no one knows what number is larger. I do know the Catholic Church has had to close their adotion agencies because gays are forcing them to let them adopt and they cannot go along with that. How many children fall through the cracks after that happened?
Just because you have not taken the time to do research does not mean that "no one knows". Case in point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.livescience.com/17913-advantages-gay-parents.html
But research suggests that gays and lesbians are more likely than heterosexuals to adopt older, special-needs and minority children, he said. Part of that could be their own preferences, and part could be because of discrimination by adoption agencies that puts more difficult children with what caseworkers see as "less desirable" parents.
More research needs to be done, but all studies now show that the results are not going to be in your favor.

The reality is, there are over 100,000 children available to be adopted in the foster care system, and many thousands more whose parents have not terminated their rights. Why are these kids still in the system if there is a waiting list? It's unfortunate that the Catholic church did not have the best interest of the children in mind - you can't blame the gays for wanting to step in where the rest of society has failed. My boyfriend was in the foster care on and off from late elementary school on. Because he was older and had suffered some trauma (abuse from his mother and several foster care families/group homes, found his father's body after he ODed when my boyfriend was a teenager), he could not be placed in a long term home. He met his best friend in a group home - he is Latino and has cerebral palsy and while his biological family terminated rights when he was 2, HE WAS NEVER ADOPTED OR PLACED IN A PERMANENT FOSTER HOME because he is both a minority and has special needs. Where was this wait list for him? They both ended up homeless for awhile after they aged out.

This isn't political - these are real life people's lives. When my boyfriend was in the system, gays were not allowed to foster. Had that pool been widened, maybe he wouldn't have been pushing his best friend in a wheelchair to and from the homeless shelter for a year because he would have had the support to make sense of his life and focus on his education, rather than 18 years of zero stability.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Not all gay men can become priests. You've gotta let some of them get married!
No priest can marry. From what is happening in the church I would say no gay should enter the priesthood anymore.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 AM

Yep, the Church was squeezed out because of PC. They had to get out of adoptions---they had no choice.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Gotta love how conservative Christians "rebrand" ("lie" is probably more accurate, but I'm trying to be nice) situations to make them seem like victims.

I assume you're talking about Massachusetts and who they contract to run the public adoption/foster care system? Here's the reality. Massachusetts, like any state, for various reasons often finds itself the ward of children who are in need of adoption or foster care. Massachusetts, like many states, hires this work out, at least in part, to subcontractors. These subcontractors are required to follow, and be in compliance with, the laws of Massachusetts.

The Catholic Church wanted to be a contractor in the public adoption/foster care system, but wanted special permission to violate the law. Specifically, they wanted to discriminate against gay couples, who, in Massachusetts, are afforded the right to adopt and foster children. The state of Massachusetts said: no, if you want to act as an agent of the state, then you have to follow state law like everybody else.

And according to the Children's Defense Fund (which has no agenda other than promoting the safety and wellbeing of children) there were 9,650 children in Massachusetts in the foster care system. Of those, only 790 were adopted. Now, there is no indication how many of those 9,650 are available for adoption, but it is almost certainly more than 790. So, if there is even one child who needs a permanent home in the foster care system, what is an adoption agency or foster care organization doing barring adoption to gay but otherwise qualified parents? Massachusetts allows gay couples to adopt, so obviously even with the larger pool there are still MANY children who do not find homes.

My boyfriend wouldn't have given a moment's thought if he was given a permanent place to live with a lesbian couple, gay couple, or even a transgendered single parent if that person could have provided him with love, stability, and guidance.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:02 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times
Here's the list of recipients of the donations....

Fellowship Of Christian Athletes: $480,000 National Christian Foundation: $240,000 Focus On The Family: $12,500 Eagle Forum: $5,000 Exodus International: $1,000 Family Research Council: $1,000

I chose one at random...Exodus International

Quote:
Exodus doesn't exist to serve or save gay people. It exists to advance the religious right's lead argument against gay and lesbian civil rights. That argument goes something like this: "Since no one has to be gay—change is possible! look at these ex-gays over at Exodus!—there's no need for 'gay rights.' Indeed, protecting the civil rights of gay people—allowing them marry or adopt or hold jobs or visit each other in the hospital—ultimately harms gay people because it delays their exit from the homosexual lifestyle."

Exodus's other target: the parents of young gays and lesbians who've just come out of the closet. The religious right advises parents to reject their gay and lesbian children, to withhold their approval, because, just like marriage rights or job protections or durable powers of attorney, the love and acceptance of family can delay a young gay person's exit from the homosexual lifestyle. The religious right encourages the families of young gay people to be hostile, to reject their gay children, and tells them that their rejection can turn their gay children straight and save them from the homosexual lifestyle.
Exodus International is a Hate Group | Slog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.