Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If the Muslim, Jew, atheist, or Christian gives money out of my purchases to fund a group that promotes hate, I don't care what their faith is - I will boycott.

You mean Chick Fil A donates a percentage of every sale to Christian organizations?

Of course they don't.

The Family of the family owned company DONATES from his own money earned through his business to Christian organizations.

Is that ILLEGAL? Is it Un-Constitutional?

And as I stated fairly clearly, if a Muslim family did that, Liberals would call a boycott of them tantamount to being a hate crime.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Where did I say I don't care about it? Quote me.

LOL....yeah, you CLAIM you're not complaining, then post 10 posts saying it's wrong.

Strange definition you have of what constitutes "complaining" then.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:44 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
LOL....yeah, you CLAIM you're not complaining, then post 10 posts saying it's wrong.

Strange definition you have of what constitutes "complaining" then.
Are you working towards some sort of point that has any bearing on anything whatsoever? If so, please cut to the chase.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
If the Muslim, Jew, atheist, or Christian gives money out of my purchases to fund a group that promotes hate, I don't care what their faith is - I will boycott.

A person's right to religion ends where mine begins. If your faith states that you can't marry a person of the same sex, fine. But that has no bearing on anyone but you. Unfortunately, it is Christians who insist that their faith be the standard of law- not the Muslims, not the Jews.
The emboldened is crazy talk.

My opposition to gay marriage is not based on religion.

As I have stated already here, in all of history, all civilizations have viewed marriage as a covenant between a man and a woman and have considered this a hallmark of societal stability. This view was even held by the ancient Greeks who were arguably the civilization most open to homosexuality. Even the Spartans who codified homosexual sex opposed same sex marriage. They went so far as to have a festival every year in which they forced unmarried young men of marriage age, to dress as girls so they could make fun of them and shame them with the goal that these men would get married to a female.

It is certainly true that some civilizations allowed men to have more than one marriage at one time but all such were still marriages between a man and a woman.

It is impossible to agree with all of the civilizations that have existed in all of recorded history and be a bigot for doing so.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
If so, please cut to the chase.

My POINT has been made numerous times, not only in replies to you, but in all my posts here.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, it is Christians who insist that their faith be the standard of law- not the Muslims, not the Jews.

LOL.....where have you been?

Muslims would like to have Sharia Law GOVERN EVERYONE'S lives!!!!!!

They hang homosexuals in many Muslim nations.

But according to you, Christians are killing people because of their sexual orientation or desire to marry someone of the same sex?

You can get married to a same-sex partner in an Episcopal Church and last time I checked they are Christian and no one's been murdered or even harmed for it.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

It is impossible to agree with all of the civilizations that have existed in all of recorded history and be a bigot for doing so.
This is the point at which we bring up slavery, btw.

Turns out morals are culturally determined and change over time. Don't worry: it's a good thing. It means women can vote and hold property.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
My POINT has been made numerous times, not only in replies to you, but in all my posts here.
I guess I haven't paid as much attention to you as you obviously have to me. Thanks, I'm flattered.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
This is the point at which we bring up slavery, btw.

Turns out morals are culturally determined and change over time. Don't worry: it's a good thing. It means women can vote and hold property.

no. no it is not. You cannot say that all of the civilizations in all of recorded history approved of slavery. most for many years yes. but not all in all of recorded history.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sorry if this offends but you are being very hypocritical then in regards to CFA.

They are not asking you to subscribe to their morals either. If you don't like their product, then don't buy it. Them being Christian and their views on gay marriage are their own business. They are a business and are not legislators so have not legislated against gay marriage.

That is the whole point I see in this whole argument. CFA is a company and they can support who they want and their CEO can believe whatever religion they want to believe. To villify them just because they don't agree with you is pretty immature when their opinion has no effect on the lives of the general populace.

FWIW, I agree with you that legislators should not support legislation banning gay marriage. The role of the government is to legislate for ALL people, not just hardcore heterosexual Christians. This situation with CFA is different from legislation against gay marriage. The CEO of the company can give money to whoever he wants to give money to. He is not forcing you to buy his sandwiches or denying gay people the opportunity to work for the company. He has to follow labor laws that prevent discrimination.

Also, I agree with a previous poster in regards to alcoholism with a bar. Also CFA has a lot more employees than a bar so they would have more opportunities to hire more employees than a bar. No one ever killed someone after eating a chicken sandwich. Plenty of Americans are killed by drunk drivers.
I agree with you up to this point, the people are the government, and if the people, through their representatives decide they are against gay marriage than so be it. Christians are members of this society as well (why the focus on Christioans is baffling, no major religion supports gay marriage).

The role of government is not to be permissive of every counter culture fad in the name of freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies