Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 PM

667 posts, read 515,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
Who is going to Chick Fil A on the first? I am with the wife and kids.
Three meals if I can that day.

I think there is a website realted to that as well.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I agree with you. A boycott is not a form of bullying.

Based on my personal experience ONLY, I've had a few folks use bullying tactics to attempt to force others to adhere to the boycott. I've had 2-3 FB friends post messages stating that if you don't support the Chick-Fil-A boycott that they want you to defriend them since you clearly are a homophobe and don't support gay marriage. I found that offensive and defriended them. Not because I'm against gay marriage (I'm very much in favor of it), but because I don't like people who think bullying is an appropriate way to influence others. Interestingly enough, I got no such emails from people asking me to defriend them if I didn't support the Oreo boycott after the rainbow Oreo ad.

I think kindness and reason are much better tools to use when trying to change a mind. Bullying makes people dig in their heels and refuse to consider the other side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely. I agree with you. And although I support same-sex marriage, I would never boycott a business for being against it. This isn't a matter of life and death. Now, if their official position was, "All gays should be executed", that would be a different situation.
both of these posts are well thought out and written. i dont support gay marriage, so we disagree on that point, but we agree that discriminating against homosexuals is over all wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Chick-Fil-A is against me as a person. That's what opposition to gay marriage really is - let's not mince words. You are a BIGOT.

Chick-Fil-A can go to hell.

It's about time gays act like bullies - we're bullied all the ****ing time.

Anybody who eats at Chick-Fil-A who knows about all of this stuff (and I've known for years - I'm not sure why it's news now) is a bigot too. Ít's NOT a freedom of speech issue. If you give money to Chick-Fil-A, you are indirectly giving money to campaigns that actively work against my rights.

In short, you can take your gay marriage "support" and shove it. We don't need "friends" like you.
pure rubbish. chick -fil-a likely does not even know you exist so they cant be against you personally. as i said i OPPOSE gay marriage, since marriage is a religious institution. many place however aloow civil unions which is done through the government not the church. it also carries the same protections marriage does legally.

and it IS a freedom of speech issue. people on both sides of the issue can express their opinons freely whether you like it or not. i dont hate gay people, in fact i have had friends who were gay and it didnt bother me at all. as has been said, "hate the sin, love the sinner". if you dont want to eat at chick-fil-a, then dont. if you like juicy chicken though, you are missing out. its your choice though where you spend your money. understand though that every time you decide not to frequent a business because you dont like their politics, then you limit yourself. and i am willing to bet that you buy a lot of stuff from places that are also anti gay marriage, you just dont know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
That is the kind of discrimination gays have faced for years. The shoe pinches on the other foot.

The lesson that Dan Cathy needs to take from this is that he mocks the God he claims to serve when he discriminates against his fellow humans who were created as they were by that God and attempts to deny them their civil and human rights. Hopefully he will pay attention. Until then, he will suffer a loss of business, and rightly so, IMHO.
dan cathy is NOT discriminating against gays. his statement is that he is against gay marriage, not gays themselves. he doesnt care about race, religion, or sexual orientation. he treats everyone equally well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I can only hope that somewhere his eternal soul is getting a lecture on the meaning of "judge not lest ye be judged".
arent you also judging? yes the bible does say judge not lest you be judged, but it also says by their fruits shall you know them. the judge not lest you be judged pertains to when you first meet someone, and already come to conclusions as to the kind of person they are. its like planting a tree that someone told you was an orange tree, but when it start yo bear fruit they are really grapefruit.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Despite my neglect to proofread - they protest in a legal manner. They don't storm the facilities and take it over. No violence to the employees. Basic stuff here.
I don't want to see any of that kind of stuff, either. There's no reason to think those things would happen.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 PM

1,403 posts, read 936,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I love the little ones in my family and for that reason, I never give them food from fast food joints.
That must suck for them. My kids love their fruit cups and real chicken nuggets.Oh and I love my kids as well. Some times they deserve a treat and this time its for a good cause.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:17 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I can understand. They're feeling crushed by the amount of support for gays in America, so to combine their anti-gay fever with a yummy chicken sandwich is hard to resist. As they eat their food, they can take comfort in knowing that their $3.49 is going toward beating down those "nasty" gays (in their minds), and they don't have to do anything but chew and swallow.
Exactly. And they're hiding from the questioning of the morality of it all! They think by posting just to say "I'm going to spend a fortune at Chik-Fil-A from now on!" they're making some kind of point, other than a demonstration of just how anti-gay they are.

Then they want to claim they're doing it just because they have the freedom to, implying that we're trying to take their legal right to eat chicken sandwiches away

The more they distract from the heart of the issue, the less pressed they feel to justify their stance on what this boycott is really all about: gay rights.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:18 PM

1,403 posts, read 936,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
Three meals if I can that day.

I think there is a website realted to that as well.
Do you have the link?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:18 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
The bigots have already lost the culture war. They're just beating their heads against the wall now.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM

667 posts, read 515,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
Do you have the link?
I do not. I saw the information a few days ago but did not save the link.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
What's your point? Forgive me, hard to see anything but passive aggression here.

Anyway, so long as you know that turning a blind eye to a challenge of moral/political views doesn't make anyone else blind, check out post #1947. Think4Yourself posted a really entertaining video, perfect viewing material for "chomping down" on a sandwich. Might even click on one of the links I provided too. Very educational stuff! It's all about chicken sandwiches, I promise!
No point with commenting on the meal. Just enjoyed the sandwich.

I watched the video - typical rants - what's the point?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I love the little ones in my family and for that reason, I never give them food from fast food joints.
What's wrong with a place with decent quality food (for a fast food joing) such as Chick-Fil-A?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies