Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well we shall see. As I said, I have not seen this particular issue yet. I am sure that we will, but my money is on the business. Again, I am not giving you my personal opinion as to what I think should happen. I am giving you my opinion what I believe will most likely happen.

I believe there has been cases where Churches refused to hire a gay person, and SCOTUS upheld their right to do so.
Yes, but those were when churches were involved. Many laws specifically exclude churches from following the laws that businesses and individuals must follow. You may not live in a state where sexual orientation is a "protected class", but as the other poster said, there are currently 21 states that do include it as a "protected class".

http://www.aclu.org/maps/non-discrim...nformation-map

Sadly, the entire South is a haven of retarded progress towards discrimination based on sexual orientation or identity.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Yes, but those were when churches were involved. Many laws specifically exclude churches from following the laws that businesses and individuals must follow. You may not live in a state where sexual orientation is a "protected class", but as the other poster said, there are currently 21 states that do include it as a "protected class".
Is CFA in any of those States?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Chick Fil-A does not discriminate against gays either in its hiring practices or as customers. Lots of gays work for CFA; lots of gays eat there.

And the ACLU supports Chick-Fil-A against morons like the Boston mayor and Chicago alderman who think governments can tell businesses what they can and cannot say.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...-fil-a-matter/

Old 07-28-2012, 10:33 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Something to feast your eyes on. I actually never had Chik-Fil-A before, so I wouldn't know:
why you liberal always have to call people name simply because they don't have the same views as you guys. really getting old! hate mongers, really!!! this is getting silly, ridiculously! that in its self is hateful.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Chick Fil-A does not discriminate against gays either in its hiring practices or as customers. Lots of gays work for CFA; lots of gays eat there.

And the ACLU supports Chick-Fil-A against morons like the Boston mayor and Chicago alderman who think governments can tell businesses what they can and cannot say.
Sure they do, at least in their hiring. Certainly not in their customers. I know exactly what their hiring process is like. I know the founder and they do in fact discriminate against gays in the hiring process. CFA has franchise operations so does each franchise disciminate, I doubt it, but the corporate office in Georgia, absolutely, and if you want to buy a franchise...you better not be openly gay.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Well we shall see. As I said, I have not seen this particular issue yet. I am sure that we will, but my money is on the business. Again, I am not giving you my personal opinion as to what I think should happen. I am giving you my opinion what I believe will most likely happen.
21 states (and pretty much every big city in the US) have added "sexual orientation" to their anti-discrimination laws: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Wisconsin was the first (1982), and I think Boulder CO was the first city to do so (1974).

And this is long settled law - municipalities have the right to do it: Romer v. Evans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I believe there has been cases where Churches refused to hire a gay person, and SCOTUS upheld their right to do so.
Different issue. Churches (separation of church and state) and private organizations (private people getting together) have the right to discriminate in any way they see fit. Businesses that serve the public are regulated by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (among other laws) as to who they can and cannot hire and serve, and can be beholden to stricter local statutes.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Is CFA in any of those States?

Yes, CFA is is some of those states. Calif for sure. There are a lot of CFA stores in southern Calif. I think that CFA's bigotry stance might actually be a "plus" in southern states because so many of their customers are so religious and/or apathetic.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
why you liberal always have to call people name simply because they don't have the same views as you guys. really getting old! hate mongers, really!!! this is getting silly, ridiculously! that in its self is hateful.
Assuming I'm liberal.

I was just posting that picture to stimulate conversation.

Take your wrongful assumptions elsewhere please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
21 states (and pretty much every bid city in the US) have added "sexual orientation" to their anti-discrimination laws: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Wisconsin was the first (1982), and I think Boulder CO was the first city to do so (1974).

And this is long settled law - municipalities have the right to do it: Romer v. Evans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Different issue. Churches (separation of church and state) and private organizations (private people getting together) have the right to discriminate in any way they see fit. Businesses that serve the public are regulated by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (among other laws) as to who they can and cannot hire and serve, and can be beholden to stricter local statutes.
As I said in 2557. Most of the hiring discrimination will be done in the corporate office. I don't know how much control over each individual hired is controlled by the corporate office over franchises, which is what a lot of the stores in other states are. However, Georgia, which is not on your list is where the Corporate office is located. They do discriminate based on sexual orientation in the corporate office. They also discriminate based on sexual orientation for selling franchises. It would be interesting to see if that fits. Again, I betting that this will be a fed issue on right to contract. I am sure some lawyer has read these headlines and is already doing a little investigating in their home state.

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Sure they do, at least in their hiring. Certainly not in their customers. I know exactly what their hiring process is like. I know the founder and they do in fact discriminate against gays in the hiring process. CFA has franchise operations so does each franchise disciminate, I doubt it, but the corporate office in Georgia, absolutely, and if you want to buy a franchise...you better not be openly gay.
Unless you can produce documentary evidence of such an outlandish claim, this forum will consider it just so much......hot air. (sorry, couldn't resist.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies