Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I went here today. The food was awesome. I got the chicken strips and a vanilla milkshake. And I'm glad there are still people (in this case, the owner/CEO of Chick Fil-A) that have values and morals.

The one near me opened about 6 months ago and I've been meaning to go there but kept putting it off. But when I heard that the owner believes in traditional marriage only, I made plans to go there as soon as possible. Chicken served with values and morals!
It is refreshing

Old 07-31-2012, 07:28 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I see the boycott is working in California. Looks like you had a beautiful day.
I was there at about 3 PM, in between the lunch and dinner crowd. But there were plenty of customers.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It is refreshing
Yes, I'll be back there next week. Just to annoy those who don't have values and morals!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Yes, I'll be back there next week. Just to annoy those who don't have values and morals!
I'm going tomorrow in support

Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Quote:
I was there at about 3 PM, in between the lunch and dinner crowd. But there were plenty of customers.
As evidenced by the parking lot. Chick-Fil-A's in my area are still doing brisk business, with lines often wrapped around the building.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
But when I heard that the owner believes in traditional marriage only, I made plans to go there as soon as possible. Chicken served with values and morals!
I challenge the claim that believing in "traditional marriage" only is valuable and morally just. Would you blame "God" or some unverifiable/false claim about homosexuals for this view? Because the bible doesn't say you shouldn't allow gays to get married (In fact, considering the whole "free will" concept, he seems to be about letting "sinners" go ahead and "sin" more than anything else). He only says it's wrong. But if you would blame it on him, where is your opposition to giving all the other "sinners" the same rights as you enjoy? Personal prejudice revealed.

Or maybe you don't blame it on "God". Maybe you think it would harm society to let gays marry or adopt. But the evidence contradicts that kind of thinking as well. Here is evidence that might suggest gays are just as good (better, actually) at making a marriage work than heterosexuals:

Study: Same Sex Couples Have Lower Divorce Rates Than The Straights
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Divorce Rates Higher in States with Gay Marriage Bans

Here is evidence that being raised by gay parents is not harmful to children in any way:

APA Policy Statement: Sexual Orientation, Parents, & Children
Studies of same-sex parenting

And here is evidence that children of same-sex couples may even fare better, generally speaking:

A child's life in a "gay" household

Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I'm going tomorrow in support
I was thinking of going tomorrow... on "support day." But I didn't want to be there if there are a huge amount of customers. So I figured going the day before is a good way to show my support.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I challenge the claim that believing in "traditional marriage" only is valuable and morally just. Would you blame "God" or some unverifiable/false claim about homosexuals for this view? Because the bible doesn't say you shouldn't allow gays to get married (In fact, considering the whole "free will" concept, he seems to be about letting "sinners" go ahead and "sin" more than anything else). He only says it's wrong. But if you would blame it on him, where is your opposition to giving all the other "sinners" the same rights as you enjoy? Personal prejudice revealed.

Or maybe you don't blame it on "God". Maybe you think it would harm society to let gays marry or adopt. But the evidence contradicts that kind of thinking as well. Here is evidence that might suggest gays are just as good (better, actually) at making a marriage work than heterosexuals:

Study: Same Sex Couples Have Lower Divorce Rates Than The Straights
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Divorce Rates Higher in States with Gay Marriage Bans

Here is evidence that being raised by gay parents is not harmful to children in any way:

APA Policy Statement: Sexual Orientation, Parents, & Children
Studies of same-sex parenting

And here is evidence that children of same-sex couples may even fare better, generally speaking:

A child's life in a "gay" household
Since the subject is Chick Fil-A and so-called "boycott," I will keep the discussion on that subject.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
As evidenced by the parking lot. Chick-Fil-A's in my area are still doing brisk business, with lines often wrapped around the building.
Yes, if anything, this "boycott" will help Chick Fil-A's business!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Since the subject is Chick Fil-A and so-called "boycott," I will keep the discussion on that subject.
Nice avoidance.

This thread has run the full spectrum of arguments about, free speech, gay marriage, adoption, biblical laws and beliefs.

You won't be off topic by debating if their belief in gay marriage is grounded in factual data or not.

Unless you just want to avoid the question that is....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies