Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 11:24 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times

Advertisements

Dislike and disgust do not equal hate.
But it is so not dramatic to call people "Dislikers!" and "Disgusteds!"

Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
When it comes to God, the argument is over. You just can't argue with someone's religion.
You can easily argue with someone's religion, but you can't argue with God.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
"Not-dramaticers" ?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Hence the word "promoting". You are promoting discrimination when you promote the idea that only heterosexuals should be allowed to marry or adopt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That's your opinion.
Which part are you disagreeing with?

Quote:
Traditional marriage is "horrible?" See why I can't debate with some people? How can I debate irrationality?
No one said traditional marriage is horrible. I said you "standing for traditional marriage" (which, again, means you are against gay marriage) is horrible. And I explained why, and you have failed to address any of the points I've made or provide some of your own.

Quote:
Those who claim to be "tolerant" and "willing to listen to other opinions" are the first ones who call those these don't agree with "homophobe" and "bigot." And "hateful."
If not intolerance, then what?
If not homophobia, then what?
If not bigotry, then what?
If not hate, then what?

What motivates you to believe gays shouldn't be allowed to get married? It's a simple question.

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 07-31-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
Why impose a religious standard on an entire country that may or may not believe in that standard? Sounds like passing a law respecting an establishment of religion.
Not all of this is religious, not at all. I ask why change the meaning of marriage that is centuries old and what most people in the world believes. Muslim, Asians and all other countries and nationalities. etc. Marriage the way it is has served the world just fine up to this time.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 PM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
It's not "discrimination."

Quote:
No one said traditional marriage is horrible. I said you "standing for traditional marriage" (once more, meaning you are against gay marriage) is horrible. And yet again, I explained why, and you have failed to address any of the points I've made or provide some of your own.
No such thing as "gay marriage," so how can it be horrible to oppose it? It's more like a "pretend marriage."

Quote:
If not hate, then what?
Values, morals and beliefs. And believing what is best for society.

Quote:
What motivates you to believe gays shouldn't be allowed to get married? It's a simple question.
Do you really have to ask? I oppose it due to religious and moral reasons. And because I believe in traditional marriage and that means between one man and one woman. A simple answer.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 PM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Yes, they have to use words that get a lot of attention. Even when the words are improperly applied.

2,920 posts, read 2,795,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
You're saying I'm ignorant in regards to history? Do you have proof of this claim? I have been studying history since 2001. I have a library of over 5000 books, and only a handful of them are fictional, including the bible, the rest of my library is non-fictional books on various topics. The bulk of my library is as follows and in order of collection size: History, philosophy(including religion), geology, astronomy, biology, and genealogy, the rest is a mix of various studies.

I have also volunteered on two separate archeological digs. I don't even have a degree in history and I have already shown to have more knowledge regarding all of the so called "traditions" you have mentioned.

First you claimed that this country was founded on Christian principles, which any 1st year history student knows isn't true based on the profiles of the founding fathers and based on the treaty of Tripoli.

Then you claim that Christmas has always been recognized by all Americans, we know for a fact that not all Americans celebrate Christian holidays, but as you claim to be a historian you should know that even more so, and you should also know that the US Government didn't recognize Christmas as a national holiday until 1870, until that time the government was business as usual.

You claim that there are no historical records of same-sex marriage, yet even when we show you that there are and I have several times, you brush them off as gay propaganda. It doesn't matter what we present to you, true or not, you will deny it.

You are the definition of willful ignorance. You lie in order to fulfill your hate propaganda. If you are a historian, which I doubt, you should be ashamed of yourself.

One absurdity at the time.
When did you show me examples of same-sex marriages in antiquity?
When did you show me actual Greek or Roman laws establishing same-sex marriage?

Typed on a phone: please excuse my grammer and spellink...

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Quote:

No one said traditional marriage is horrible. I said you "standing for traditional marriage" (once more, meaning you are against gay marriage) is horrible. And yet again, I explained why, and you have failed to address any of the points I've made or provide some of your own.

If not hate, then what?

It's intolerant to want to change the meaning of a tradition and forcing it on others who want to keep that long held tradition. We were here first. Traditional marriage has served mankind for what----forever? Now a minority says we don't like that so do as we say.

You don't understand the meaning of phobia if you say that. No one goes and lays on a therapist couch to get rid of fear of gays. There is no phobia involved here.

Not liking a way a person behaves in not bigotry. Then not liking adultery is bigotry and that is just silly.

If not hate, then what?

It's not hate. I don't hate people who are doing wrong (well unless they are doing wrong to me an mine but that is a different thread) Most people just feel sorry some people can't have normal sexual relations or normal sexual feelings. If you ask me what is normal most will say how the majority behaves. You may not like it but that is how normal is described.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
It's not "discrimination."
You don't think that saying to one group "You can't have the same rights as that group over there" is discrimination?

And rest assured, the rights are defined as such:

Heterosexuals can marry whoever they want that is of the legal age to consent, unrelated, and unmarried. Homosexuals cannot marry whoever they want that is of the legal age to consent, unrelated, and unmarried.

But you don't think that's discrimination, eh?

Quote:
No such thing as "gay marriage," so how can it be horrible to oppose it? It's more like a "pretend marriage."
Regardless of what you decide to call it, you're against them being able to enjoy the same rights as you enjoy. And you have yet to provide factual evidence - or even an argument NOT based on factual evidence - to support your so-called "morals".

Quote:
Values, morals and beliefs. And believing what is best for society.
You've already told us these are your values, "morals" and beliefs. I'm asking what motivates you to commit to them? WHY have you chosen these values, "morals" and beliefs?

Quote:
Do you really have to ask? I oppose it due to religious and moral reasons.

And because I believe in traditional marriage and that means between one man and one woman. A simple answer.
Which leads us back here

Quote:
I challenge the claim that believing in "traditional marriage" only is valuable and morally just. Would you blame "God" or some unverifiable/false claim about homosexuals for this view? Because the bible doesn't say you shouldn't allow gays to get married (In fact, considering the whole "free will" concept, he seems to be about letting "sinners" go ahead and "sin" more than anything else). He only says it's wrong. But if you would blame it on him, where is your opposition to giving all the other "sinners" the same rights as you enjoy? Personal prejudice revealed.

Or maybe you don't blame it on "God". Maybe you think it would harm society to let gays marry or adopt. But the evidence contradicts that kind of thinking as well. Here is evidence that might suggest gays are just as good (better, actually) at making a marriage work than heterosexuals:

Study: Same Sex Couples Have Lower Divorce Rates Than The Straights
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Divorce Rates Higher in States with Gay Marriage Bans

Here is evidence that being raised by gay parents is not harmful to children in any way:

APA Policy Statement: Sexual Orientation, Parents, & Children
Studies of same-sex parenting

And here is evidence that children of same-sex couples may even fare better, generally speaking:

A child's life in a "gay" household
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.