Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 12:10 PM

155 posts, read 134,893 times

Advertisements

I have stated time after that the government at the federal, state and local levels are out of control with historic preservation regulations on private property that the owners do not want. Recently as everyone is aware, Chick fil A wants to open locations in Chicago, Boston and San Francisco. There is talk by the Mayors and Alderman in these cities to deny the business permits based on political views. I am a supporter of gay marriage for the record. But the same Christian conservaties we have calling "foul" on this issue, were calling for the NYC Mosque to not be allowed to be built.

Some of you may remember Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly complaining and yelling about the Muslims being allowed to build that place of worship. I also want to give a hypothetical. If Chick fil A was a anti-Christian company and funded anti-Christian groups, would you same Christians still be marching and protesting? I would say you would be, but to not allow Chick fil A to open (the very thing you are protesting against right now).

Everyone needs to understand that freedom, liberty and property rights extend to everyone...including those you do not agree with.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:12 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
I have stated time after that the government at the federal, state and local levels are out of control with historic preservation regulations on private property that the owners do not want. Recently as everyone is aware, Chick fil A wants to open locations in Chicago, Boston and San Francisco. There is talk by the Mayors and Alderman in these cities to deny the business permits based on political views. I am a supporter of gay marriage for the record. But the same Christian conservaties we have calling "foul" on this issue, were calling for the NYC Mosque to not be allowed to be built.

Some of you may remember Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly complaining and yelling about the Muslims being allowed to build that place of worship. I also want to give a hypothetical. If Chick fil A was a anti-Christian company and funded anti-Christian groups, would you same Christians still be marching and protesting? I would say you would be, but to not allow Chick fil A to open (the very thing you are protesting against right now).

Everyone needs to understand that freedom, liberty and property rights extend to everyone...including those you do not agree with.
I'm pretty sure neither O'Reilly nor Hannity post here, so what's your point?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:12 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So what is/are the names of these hate groups that chick-fil-a donates to ?
Several people have posted them several times in this thread. Try searching for them.
I'm tired of posting the same information repeatedly.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:16 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
It SHOULDN't be an issue. A consenting adult should be allowed to marry another consenting adult. The religious right has made it an issue, though. They will spend millions of taxpayer's money to DENY rights from millions of Americans. I really wish the Republicans would learn how to spend our money more wisely. No American should ever vote on denying the rights of a fellow American. Religion should never come into play when laws are being made. It's in the Constitution, and it should be upheld. The so called conservatives believe otherwise, though.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:20 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
They were protesting the idea of it being built at/near ground zero...there was no protest about it being built some place else in the city.

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
You're really reaching. The gay rights movement took a huge step back with this Chick Fil A nonsense. It demonstrates immaturity and irrationality. It's been taken over by peopel similar to the same lefty loons on Occupy. If I was gay, I would be totally embarassed by this behavior. To think that one company, and not Congress, is responsible for gays not having the right to marry is misguided.
I think it's really simpler than that. The reason "gays" don't have the "right" (it's not a right) to marry is widespread public sanity.

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So what is/are the names of these hate groups that chick-fil-a donates to ?
Google is your friend. Look them up. Why must everything be spoon fed to you people?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Google is your friend. Look them up. Why must everything be spoon fed to you people?
I did google and the first three pages are full of articles that just say the generic "anti gay group" or "gay hate group" ..didn't see any actual group names.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:24 PM

865 posts, read 623,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
We're denied equal treatment under the civil law - something required by the Constitution. That results in us being denied a slew of civil, or legal, rights.

Not to mention some of the groups Chick-fil-A funds advocate for further unequal treatment of gay people under the civil law and the taking away of civil rights we currently have (such as the right to serve in the military, the right to have sex with each other, etc).
Do you know what a civil right is?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
That wasn't much of an apology. More egotistical excuse making
What more does the man have to do to say that he is sorry then>? Honestly, do you see Cathy even trying to do anything remotely similar to this? Cathy may not be able to change his beliefs, but it would be nice if he made a comment to say that he appreciates all of the support and wants to emphasize that he doesn't want this to become a hatefest for gays. it could be something simple like saying that we are ALL god's children. I don't think that his heart is big enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies