Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 05:09 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Boston mayor Tom Menino vows to keep Chick Fil A out of Boston. The second rate fast food joint was vilified in the Boston metro press today.
this is what i hate to see-the ARROGANCE of politicians.

he shouldn't have the right to decide for the community. they should be able to build it and if nobody wants it then they fail-but i have never been to a chik fil A without a line. (and their soup is pretty good too)

in a town near me, a little merchant had a taco stand which had been grandfathered in, and he was going to build a restaurant when he accumulated enough money. today the government denied his permit, and i am sure that it has nothing to do with the fact that the mayor is the daughter of the owner of a restaurant in town (1 of only 2).

that also reminds me of bloomberg telling new yorkers what they are going to be allowed to drink (for health issues?) and then hosting the piggy hot dog eating festival.

i will be very glad if we ever get a president who is pro business and all for letting the little businesses start up all over america and see what happens.

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-20-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Prop 8 was a joke. The ignorant Mormon church IN UTAH campaigned in california in order to overturn it. They scared all the old religious people into voting against it. They pretty much made any religious person afraid to vote for it. Give it another 10 years or less, when the ignorant old fogies die off the world will change for the better. Personally I don't think someone should be able to vote based on religious views.
Maybe, but still the polls didn't reflect the election. <= my point. I don't think anyone should be able to vote that doesn't hold MY views. But what are you going to do? I just vote for people that do hold my views.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:56 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Maybe, but still the polls didn't reflect the election. <= my point. I don't think anyone should be able to vote that doesn't hold MY views. But what are you going to do? I just vote for people that do hold my views.
I'm all for people the don't hold my views voting. I just think anything to do with government and the overall population should be free of religious views. If we were voting to move christmas, fine by all means vote based on religious views. But, since the whole thing is about same sex marriage, which is not a religious matter, all votes should be based on facts, not bible quotes. Cause lets face it if we voted based off bible quotes, we would stone people who get divorced.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:31 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
I'm all for people the don't hold my views voting. I just think anything to do with government and the overall population should be free of religious views. If we were voting to move christmas, fine by all means vote based on religious views. But, since the whole thing is about same sex marriage, which is not a religious matter, all votes should be based on facts, not bible quotes. Cause lets face it if we voted based off bible quotes, we would stone people who get divorced.
That's not realistic and it shows that you are the one who is trying to force people to think like you. You are basically telling people how they should think. People have a right to think the way they want. If people make decisions based on their religious beliefs, who are you to tell them that they can't do that? People act as though Christianity is the only religion that is against gay marriage. Not only that but what about the people who disagree with for non-religious reasons? Even with that said, regardless of how people form their views you should respect it. That's what freedom really is. The ability to decide what we think is right or wrong without having people telling us how we should think. You are only saying that they shouldn't vote this way because you disagree with what these people stand for.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:50 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Quote:
Umm, you are born a certain race, you are born a certain gender, you are born a certain sexuality. So, yeah it is the same...
Unless a race is exclusively and only comprised of one sexual orientation this argument is invalid. Homosexuality is a sexual preference, NOT a race.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:15 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
If we dismiss the notion that marriage is between man and a women what would stop people to demand that we recognize polygamist mariages as well? Hoe about maraiges between siblings? Father and daughter, mother and son?
Why not? If we love the constitution how can we deny the same benefits traditional marriages enjoy to polygamist marriages?

Seriously, dont touch marriage guys. If you append current definition there is no way to tell what will happen next...

Old 07-20-2012, 09:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Boycott a business because they believe in 'traditional marriage'?
At least I know they are not sending a big check to the re-elect Obama campaign like Ben & Jerry Ice cream, Progressive Insurance, Tyson Foods, Jet Blue, Starbucks, Heinz/Boston Market.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:47 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Boycott a business because they believe in 'traditional marriage'?
No, it's because they support discriminating against gay people and denying them equal treatment under the civil, secular laws of the US and its several states.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Default Chick-Fil-A saga update - Boston mayor wants to stop them from opening restaurants in city

The Mayor Of Boston Has Vowed To Block Chick-Fil-A From Ever Entering The City - Business Insider

Crazy...

Why would he not want Chick-Fil-A to create jobs in the city? I don't agree with Chick-Fil-A's positions on the gay issues, but a mayor wanting to turn away a legitimate business because they disagree with them politically is insane in my opinion.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:57 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
That's not realistic and it shows that you are the one who is trying to force people to think like you. You are basically telling people how they should think. People have a right to think the way they want. ...
You're getting closer....

Quote:
....That's what freedom really is. The ability to decide what we think is right or wrong without having people telling us how we should think. You are only saying that they shouldn't vote this way because you disagree with what these people stand for.
Finally someone is getting it... I think...

Oh, so then you don't think it is right or wrong for two men to think they should and can get married. As you said freedom is the ability to decide what we think is right or wrong without having people telling us how we should think. So, doesn't that mean nobody should be able to tell LGBT people they can't marry?

The two things I have underlined above, things you said, are exactly why the pro-gay people fight against the anti-gay people It's not their life, it's not their concern. The anti-gay people have no right to force people to think the way they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies