Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:46 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I sure hope this guy is the Republican nominee. He just can't keep his mouth shut to save his life. If he has nearly a full year to electioneer, it's only a matter of time before he'll sabotage his own campaign.

Arrest judges? Right.

Gingrich Says He Would Arrest Judges With Capitol Police Or U.S. Marshals
Another left-wing blog taken out of context.

Here, why don't you actually LISTEN to the man himself?

Gingrich: Liberal Des Moines Register Endorsing Romney "Indicates Who The Conservative" Is | RealClearPolitics

The intellectually superior Gingrich explains what he means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
Legislating from the bench and being a judicial activist is subjective as hell. If the Supreme Court had a different make-up, they might see the 9th circuit decisions much differently.

You conservatives thought that Brown v Board of Education was "judicial activism" and "legislating from the bench" (you still believe it and will say so when you're sure of your company). Whatever...it is what it is.

Still, the fact remains that you went back 150 years to get an example.

Anyone believing that Newt is going to slap the cuffs on a judge is pretty stupid. So why not simply agree that he's being an idiot for saying that he will when you know damn well he won't?
Because the idiotic position is to believe that Newt somehow made up calling a justice to explain why they're continually wrong over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Quote:
In their reversals, the justices often expressed impatience with what they see as stubborn refusal by the lower court to follow Supreme Court precedent. One of the circuit's most renowned liberals, Judge Stephen Reinhardt, was seen by judicial analysts as the main target of the justices' pique.
"It just seems that they are getting a bit frustrated with these criminal procedure cases," said Barry McDonald, a constitutional law professor at Pepperdine University, referring to unanimous reversals of three opinions written by Reinhardt and a decision by another 9th Circuit panel to strike the conviction of a Sacramento rapist who claimed racial bias during jury selection.
In restoring Steven Jackson's conviction for raping a 72-year-old woman, the high court called the 9th Circuit decision written by Judge Johnnie B. Rawlinson and joined by two other Democratic appointees "as inexplicable as it is unexplained."
U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals: U.S. Supreme Court again rejects most 9th Circuit decisions - Los Angeles Times

Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Growth? Is that what we're calling it nowadays?

Wow. That's deep.
It's Growth, Stupid: Why Newt Gingrich Is Leading In The Polls - Forbes

Old 12-18-2011, 11:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Because the idiotic position is to believe that Newt somehow made up calling a justice to explain why they're continually wrong over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals: U.S. Supreme Court again rejects most 9th Circuit decisions - Los Angeles Times

Yea, well i need to formulate a few opinions on a few modern day issues. I think i'll reach back a few centuries for some modern thought.

I met a Wiccan the other day, and i gotta admit, the thought of hanging her crossed my mind.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:04 PM

LOL....nah. Sounds more like excuses for supporting someone that's been a laughingstock over the last decade within his own party just because he's now in the lead. Growth? Hilarious.

Anyway...i'm not a Republican. So not my problem.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
LOL....nah. Sounds more like excuses for supporting someone that's been a laughingstock over the last decade within his own party just because he's now in the lead. Growth? Hilarious.

Anyway...i'm not a Republican. So not my problem.
You might do well to listen to the man. As a historian, he is well versed in the "history" of this issue - activist, runaway courts.

Wouldn't you like to hear a reason, justification by the judge who Newt cites as his poster boy for UNAmerican, ridiculous judicial overreach?

Old 12-18-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You might do well to listen to the man. As a historian, he is well versed in the "history" of this issue - activist, runaway courts.

Wouldn't you like to hear a reason, justification by the judge who Newt cites as his poster boy for UNAmerican, ridiculous judicial overreach?
Not really. But thanks.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Yea, well i need to formulate a few opinions on a few modern day issues. I think i'll reach back a few centuries for some modern thought.

I met a Wiccan the other day, and i gotta admit, the thought of hanging her crossed my mind.
You sound like one of those folks who think the constitution is outmoded and antiquated. I mean, after all, it's 235 years old. We should probably stop looking to it for answers in how we govern and elect leaders and just elect Downgrade Bam Bam as our supreme leader for life.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Except when they rule in a manner he likes, in which case it is just fine.

LOL

This is a ridiculous position to espouse.

Quote:
Not unless he violated some law or canon of judicial. In that case, yes.

Otherwise, it's a matter for the appellate courts. That's why we have them.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:35 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
I sure hope this guy is the Republican nominee. He just can't keep his mouth shut to save his life. If he has nearly a full year to electioneer, it's only a matter of time before he'll sabotage his own campaign.

Arrest judges? Right.

Gingrich Says He Would Arrest Judges With Capitol Police Or U.S. Marshals
from your article"
"His preference, he added, would be to impeach the judge in question."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies