Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The OP link is a heavily biased and distorted right wing propaganda piece.
The factual information is the DOL wants to stop children under 16 from operating heavily machinery, handling toxic pesticides and other dangerous work. This only applies to those working for private farming corporations. It does not apply to family farms.
If your "family farm" is set up as an S-CORP, then that qualifies as a CORPORATION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If your "family farm" is set up as an S-CORP, then that qualifies as a CORPORATION.
Apparently you missed this previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It never ceases to amaze me at just how gullible some people are. :roll eyes: If it's about something Obama is claimed to be doing, they'll believe whatever they're told without question. Critical thinking flies right out the window when it's Obama!

Here's the facts, in case anyone cares:

Child labor in agriculture has been regulated since the 1930's and those rules have been periodically updated. This is another update. The PROPOSED rules would seek to accomplish the following:

Strengthening current child labor prohibitions regarding agricultural work with animals in timber operations, manure pits, storage bins and pesticide handling.

Prohibiting hired farm workers under the age of 16 from employment in the cultivation, harvesting and curing of tobacco.

Prohibiting youth in both agricultural and nonagricultural employment from using electronic devices, including communication devices, while operating power-driven equipment. (not just vehicles, but virtually ANY powered equipment)

Prohibiting hired farm workers under the age of 16 from operating almost all power-driven equipment. A similar prohibition has existed as part of the nonagricultural child labor provisions for more than 50 years. A limited exemption would permit some student-learners to operate certain farm implements and tractors (when equipped with proper rollover protection structures and seat belts) under specified conditions.

Preventing children under 18 years of age from being employed in the storing, marketing and transporting of farm-product raw materials. Prohibited places of employment would include country grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges and livestock auctions.

The children of family farmers have always been exempt from the regulations while working for Mom and Dad, except that they cannot work in manufacturing or mining or during school hours. In other words, none of the wage and safety rules apply if they're working on the family farm.

That won't change under these proposed regulations, even if the farm has been incorporated. So long as the child is working under the direct supervision of a parent, or person standing in the stead of the parents such as Grandpa, they would still be allowed to do most things, even though the farm has been incorporated. Their supervisor must be a human being for the exemption to apply. In fact, the rule is broadened enough that the child of a ranch manager (not the owner) would be exempt from the rules if the parent wishes to hire him. There are other exemptions too.

See them all in Sec. 570.123 Agriculture of the proposed rule making, which you can read here:

Child Labor Regulations, Orders and Statements of Interpretation; Child Labor Violations--Civil Money Penalties (http://webapps.dol.gov/FederalRegister/HtmlDisplay.aspx?DocId=25286&Month=9&Year=2011 - broken link)

(Shakes head) It's simply astonishing how people can let a talking head trip their trigger and stir up their emotions simply by mentioning the President's name. (Shakes head)

Old 12-19-2011, 10:08 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Hasn't the left been saying this since day one? At first they were meaningless and irrelevent. When they became powerful, they were labeled racists and terrorists. That didn't work and now we've come full circle back to irrelevant and meaningless. It's laughable at best.
You know what's laughable? The situation the tea party has put the rest of the republican party in--they're destroying it. I'm a republican--not "the left." I'm sick of them, and according to a recent Gallup poll, so are 45% of the rest of the republicans out there. I want to trust that my party doesn't have it's head up it's backside when they open their mouths. This dramatic BS has gone over the top--do you think the facts aren't easy to check? Do you think that reasonable, rational people, including other republicans, aren't embarrassed by this stuff? If you constantly make things up and over hype, it works short term, but at some point (and we're there) the majority of people start to catch on. I don't even want my name associated with it. I'm voting independent this election. Hopefully the tea party will lose, and if we have to take a hit short term to rebuild the party back into the rational leaders in this country that we SHOULD be, then so be it.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
The current republican party is rational?? LOL. I guess if you want to compare it to the looney left they are.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The current republican party is rational?? LOL. I guess if you want to compare it to the looney left they are.
The entire party is a mess. We need to clean house and rebuild--it's time to put in some common sense, pro mainstreet leadership.

You mentioned detasselling in another post--my understanding is they got that straightened out--my boys detassel too. One dumb thing that they did do was ban two way communications--do they think kids were texting on tractors? Two way radio is commonly used to communicate between the grain trucks and the tractors, or home and the field, and not being able to use those devices will be a problem.

I grew up on a farm, and my family is still in farming and ranching. I think it's a very good idea to keep kids who haven't grown up around equipment off of the machinery--we were taught from birth how dangerous it was, and I still know kids who've lost fingers and toes, etc. The same goes with farm chemicals, etc. Having your parent supervise you from early on is an entirely different thing than going to work on a bigger set up with a college student supervisor. Farming is one of the most dangerous professions in the country--more fatalities than almost any other field. Most farmers don't hire younger kids to do those types of jobs anyway.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You know what's laughable? The situation the tea party has put the rest of the republican party in--they're destroying it. I'm a republican--not "the left." I'm sick of them, and according to a recent Gallup poll, so are 45% of the rest of the republicans out there. I want to trust that my party doesn't have it's head up it's backside when they open their mouths. This dramatic BS has gone over the top--do you think the facts aren't easy to check? Do you think that reasonable, rational people, including other republicans, aren't embarrassed by this stuff? If you constantly make things up and over hype, it works short term, but at some point (and we're there) the majority of people start to catch on. I don't even want my name associated with it. I'm voting independent this election. Hopefully the tea party will lose, and if we have to take a hit short term to rebuild the party back into the rational leaders in this country that we SHOULD be, then so be it.
All I did was point something out, but I appreciate your rant. So much so that I quoted it in it's entirety for that warm fuzzy effect.

What's laughable is believing that the Republican party is different from the Democrats. Both parties have become water boys for the same masters, and doing the business of the people has become meaningless.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-19-2011 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
All I did was point something out, but I appreciate your rant. So much so that I quoted it in it's entirety for that warm fuzzy effect.

What's laughable is believing that the Republican party is different from the Democrats. Both parties have become water boys for the same masters, and doing the business of the people has become meaningless.

There's no need to point anything out, he's doing a fine job of disparaging himself.
The democrats are better organized than we are now. Why should it be a comparison? I don't want to be a democrat--I believe in the free market--but the party as it exists now is a mess, and we are very divided.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:39 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
God, I sure hope so, I would love to have a real choice in voting once again.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:53 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Amazing! In spite of the truth about this being posted a couple of pages ago, the Obamaphobes are still in full cry. Truth means nothing, does it?

It would be funny if it weren't so tragic for our nation's political process.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Perhaps a mod should change the thread title as it is untrue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies