Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:07 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times

Advertisements

Now we know that the "rural councils" are just a branch of enforcement. Next Obama will be forcing farmers to hire union laborers to take the place of the children's chores.

This would be effective in wiping out FFA programs and scholarships as well.

Articles: The Department of Labor vs. America's Farm Kids

Quote:
Under new standards being advocated by the Labor Department, youths under the age of eighteen would be prohibited from working in hay lofts, giving shots, caring for baby animals, and being in the vicinity of animals whose behavior may be "unpredictable." For the estimated 1.3 million youths living or working on farms, this means no longer being able to perform routine chores if the farm is set up as a corporation or a business partnership. Today, the vast majority of family farms are legally structured in this manner.

Of course family farms incorporate or are set up as partnerships for tax structure and in aiding in the ability for the farm to survive the death of parent owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
This just about says it all...

Quote:
Simply put, people who think for themselves and work hard don't live off the government. And they certainly don't vote to keep liberals in power!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:08 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
I wonder - how will this pertain to the Amish? Around where I live, I see young Amish kids helping in the fields all the time - plowing, haying, or driving the wagons.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I wonder - how will this pertain to the Amish? Around where I live, I see young Amish kids helping in the fields all the time - plowing, haying, or driving the wagons.
Apparently the farm needs to be registered as a corporation or business which they are going to do for tax purposes, I would imagine the Amish are not in that category.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:07 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
It never ceases to amaze me at just how gullible some people are. :roll eyes: If it's about something Obama is claimed to be doing, they'll believe whatever they're told without question. Critical thinking flies right out the window when it's Obama!

Here's the facts, in case anyone cares:

Child labor in agriculture has been regulated since the 1930's and those rules have been periodically updated. This is another update. The PROPOSED rules would seek to accomplish the following:

Strengthening current child labor prohibitions regarding agricultural work with animals in timber operations, manure pits, storage bins and pesticide handling.

Prohibiting hired farm workers under the age of 16 from employment in the cultivation, harvesting and curing of tobacco.

Prohibiting youth in both agricultural and nonagricultural employment from using electronic devices, including communication devices, while operating power-driven equipment. (not just vehicles, but virtually ANY powered equipment)

Prohibiting hired farm workers under the age of 16 from operating almost all power-driven equipment. A similar prohibition has existed as part of the nonagricultural child labor provisions for more than 50 years. A limited exemption would permit some student-learners to operate certain farm implements and tractors (when equipped with proper rollover protection structures and seat belts) under specified conditions.

Preventing children under 18 years of age from being employed in the storing, marketing and transporting of farm-product raw materials. Prohibited places of employment would include country grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges and livestock auctions.

The children of family farmers have always been exempt from the regulations while working for Mom and Dad, except that they cannot work in manufacturing or mining or during school hours. In other words, none of the wage and safety rules apply if they're working on the family farm.

That won't change under these proposed regulations, even if the farm has been incorporated. So long as the child is working under the direct supervision of a parent, or person standing in the stead of the parents such as Grandpa, they would still be allowed to do most things, even though the farm has been incorporated. Their supervisor must be a human being for the exemption to apply. In fact, the rule is broadened enough that the child of a ranch manager (not the owner) would be exempt from the rules if the parent wishes to hire him. There are other exemptions too.

See them all in Sec. 570.123 Agriculture of the proposed rule making, which you can read here:

Child Labor Regulations, Orders and Statements of Interpretation; Child Labor Violations--Civil Money Penalties (http://webapps.dol.gov/FederalRegister/HtmlDisplay.aspx?DocId=25286&Month=9&Year=2011 - broken link)

(Shakes head) It's simply astonishing how people can let a talking head trip their trigger and stir up their emotions simply by mentioning the President's name. (Shakes head)

Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,175 times
Default Yet Another Prime Example Of The Gobbermint's Excessively "BIg Nose" !!!

lifelongMOgal !!! ... Precisely.

Indeed ..... You may be asking a bit much from a few of the bloody acute simpletons what creeps about in the backwaters of good ole CDF !!!
Quite !

Cheers ... Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Kids can't care for baby animals ? Goodbye FFA and 4H.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:04 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
The OP link is a heavily biased and distorted right wing propaganda piece.
The factual information is the DOL wants to stop children under 16 from operating heavily machinery, handling toxic pesticides and other dangerous work. This only applies to those working for private farming corporations. It does not apply to family farms.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:10 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
I grew up on a farm, and my family is still composed of farmers/ranchers and teachers. I think this is a big stink about nothing.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Expect to see more and more distortions. The JBS is gearing up to enter the fray regarding land use and climate. They will have enough money from one of the founder's family to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies