Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Enlighten me; specifically with regard to due process for American citizens.
Consider yourself enlightened.

Three myths about the detention bill - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It was nice while it lasted. If you want a secure future get a job with Homeland Security or a Military Contractor and keep your thoughts about lost freedoms to yourself. FEAR is not only a mind killer it is a FREEDOM KILLER! Frightened people always give up freedom for security and just replace an external enemy with a domestic tyrant.

Unfortunately the Freedoms of the people that are not frightened by terrorists or criminals are also eliminated by the tyrants offering false security. Wake up folks, the government is NOT going to eliminate terror because they will become the terrorists in the name of universal security.
I don't usually agree but your take on the government hits dead on.Never knew the government to waste a good crisis to exploit the situation.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
That's funny. Nobody on the right seemed to have any objections to un-warranted wire taps, the Patriot Act, indefinite detentions, extraordinary rendition, secret CIA prisons in foreign countries or military tribunals for American citizens when the Bush administration was doing it.

Now..it's suddenly a crisis!

What have some of us always preached about the process of incrementalism? Once you give government power like that, it can't help but spread and grow stronger as time goes by. See it happening yet?

Old 12-19-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's funny. Nobody on the right seemed to have any objections to un-warranted wire taps, the Patriot Act, indefinite detentions, extraordinary rendition, secret CIA prisons in foreign countries or military tribunals for American citizens when the Bush administration was doing it.

Yes most right wingers here have no credibility when taking about civil liberties, except for a handful of "real" Libertarians and Ron Paul supporters.

It's a classic GOP strategy to hype civil liberties when they are out of power.

Most of these seasonal Libertarian types are white, middle aged to elderly males, who are part time conspiracy theorists.

They love them some war when the GOP is control, and pick up their "don't tread on me" signs when the GOP is out of power.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Consider yourself wrong.

I said give me evidence of an American citizen being denied due-process.

Linking me to something I've already read does not accomplish that.

You cannot supersede the Bill of Rights; therefore, the United States government cannot enforce this.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Consider yourself wrong.

I said give me evidence of an American citizen being denied due-process.

Linking me to something I've already read does not accomplish that.

You cannot supersede the Bill of Rights; therefore, the United States government cannot enforce this.
Jose Padilla, and the US citizen Obama just had assasinated for starters.

You're too ignorant on the subject so you must ask for obvious examples.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
So now the GOp believes what the russians say, the very people who have gulags and who arrest political opponants.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
My guess is that this legislation is intended to target the OWS and any other groups who would dare to challenge or question the almighty US government. Protesters can now be labeled as terrorists, thrown in jail, tortured or disappeared without due process, without a trial or even a lawyer. Like what happens in third world countries in south America.

The USA is now officially a totalitarian state joining the likes of China, Syria and North Korea.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

What have some of us always preached about the process of incrementalism? Once you give government power like that, it can't help but spread and grow stronger as time goes by. See it happening yet?
You would be wrong.

As for those who think this is hype and that only those who are terrorists should worry....

Get enlightened, this is ONLY the beginning. The government has this power, they WILL abuse it.

Oh and I'm pretty much done listening to liberals about how things are "hyped" and "not true" and LOLing at us saying things that will happen...seeing as how FAST AND FURIOUS pretty much proved what we said about our 2nd Amendment Rights and St. Hope and Change's desire to take them away.

You all LAUGHED when we bought up weapons and ammunition after he got elected. Called us "tin foil hat wearers" and make believe "boogey men".

Except, we were right. You were wrong. You've been wrong before, you will be wrong again. You better hope, with everything you have, that you are not wrong this time. But all it takes is a look at history to see that if the government gets an inch, they will take a mile.

Thanks for voting his a**hole in. Thanks a lot.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
I don't usually agree but your take on the government hits dead on.Never knew the government to waste a good crisis to exploit the situation.
History shows us the federal government is quite good at creating crisis to expoit liberty as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies