Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 05:17 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And just because you think it morbid and horrifying doesn't make it the WRONG thing to do. It would be WRONG for you to do it, given your sensibilities. It is the RIGHT thing for the Duggars to do, given their sensibilities.
It crosses the line when they make it PUBLIC. That is when they make their private grief subject to the opinions of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,734 times
They are attention whores, plain and simple.

Picture, no picture, whatever. Attention whores.

Their 15 minutes will be up soon now that they can no longer spawn.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:00 PM

60 posts, read 260,861 times
What bothers me the most about the photos are that they could be triggering to others. Late miscarriages aren't terribly uncommon; someone who had one and who isn't dealing well with it (i.e. undergoing depression, for example) might find such images really upsetting. I certainly wasn't expecting to see the image of a dead baby when I clicked on a link about their loss. Yes, that stuff is out there, and if taking the picture is their way to grieve, that's perfectly fine. I just don't agree that sharing it with the entire world is necessary, especially since it might hurt people who are already hurting.

And for the record, I'm pro-choice. Do I agree with the Duggars' choices to pop out kid after kid after kid? Nope. That's not something I'd ever want for my own life. But I'm okay with that being their choice. Good for them. Michelle has the right to do whatever she wants with her uterus, and I should have absolutely no say over what she does with it. Just as she, and everyone else in the world, should have absolutely no say what I do with mine. That's what being pro-choice is all about.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,505,717 times
The pictures were suppose to be for family only.

I think the message on one of those pictures sure is true. No matter how little feet are they can make a big impact on the world. This thread proves that fact. God bless little Jubilee, she had a lot to say to all of us. Her short existence made a big impact.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Which has been the topic of countless other threads.
Not the subject of this one at all.
Hey, I was just responding.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:28 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftySM View Post
What bothers me the most about the photos are that they could be triggering to others. Late miscarriages aren't terribly uncommon; someone who had one and who isn't dealing well with it (i.e. undergoing depression, for example) might find such images really upsetting. I certainly wasn't expecting to see the image of a dead baby when I clicked on a link about their loss. Yes, that stuff is out there, and if taking the picture is their way to grieve, that's perfectly fine. I just don't agree that sharing it with the entire world is necessary, especially since it might hurt people who are already hurting.

And for the record, I'm pro-choice. Do I agree with the Duggars' choices to pop out kid after kid after kid? Nope. That's not something I'd ever want for my own life. But I'm okay with that being their choice. Good for them. Michelle has the right to do whatever she wants with her uterus, and I should have absolutely no say over what she does with it. Just as she, and everyone else in the world, should have absolutely no say what I do with mine. That's what being pro-choice is all about.
That is a very good point about the pictures and how they might affect others. Again, I don't really have a problem with the pictures (not sure if it's something I would do, tho') but making them public just seems tacky - and potentially dangerous.

Also totally agree with you about how being pro-choice also means respecting a woman's right to have as many children as she can take care of and support. I do have some concerns, though, about the strain on this earth's resources if everybody were to adopt the same policy of popping out babies every year or two until "god" says, "enough already!" I also have a problem with how the older siblings have so much responsibility in taking care of the younger kids. Sadly, they don't know any other life, and to them, it is "normal."

My biggest problem is the whole attention grabbing thing the parents have adopted. I remember seeing, on The Today Show, the "big" announcement about this latest pregnancy. The way they announced it really makes me think that they thought this was news the whole world was breathlessly waiting to hear. There was something narcissistic (to me) about the announcement.

I have never watched the show - the only way I am even aware of the Duggars is because they do turn up occasionally on shows like The Today Show - and from reading about them on forums.

I fully expect this whole sad miscarriage story to turn up, along with the memorial and maybe the pictures, on at least one episode of their show.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
That is a very good point about the pictures and how they might affect others. Again, I don't really have a problem with the pictures (not sure if it's something I would do, tho') but making them public just seems tacky - and potentially dangerous.
The beauty of freedom of speech, is being able to say something, or post something, i.e. the picture, and not have to car how they might affect others.

Quote:
Also totally agree with you about how being pro-choice also means respecting a woman's right to have as many children as she can take care of and support. I do have some concerns, though, about the strain on this earth's resources if everybody were to adopt the same policy of popping out babies every year or two until "god" says, "enough already!" I also have a problem with how the older siblings have so much responsibility in taking care of the younger kids. Sadly, they don't know any other life, and to them, it is "normal."
My parents have 8 children, I'm the 3rd, the two oldest are out of the house. I babysit all the time, not to mention helping with cooking, chores, diapers, bottles, and bed time. It is normal, especially for the oldest child in the house. It's our job, we don't always have to like it, in fact I don't 40% of the time, but being the oldest God has called us to take on a lot of responsibility.

Quote:
My biggest problem is the whole attention grabbing thing the parents have adopted. I remember seeing, on The Today Show, the "big" announcement about this latest pregnancy. The way they announced it really makes me think that they thought this was news the whole world was breathlessly waiting to hear. There was something narcissistic (to me) about the announcement.
They(the Duggars) aren't the people running the Today Show, so it isn't their fault when people freak out when something big happens to them.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
The beauty of freedom of speech, is being able to say something, or post something, i.e. the picture, and not have to car how they might affect others.
So you're saying we shouldn't care about other people's feelings? Or how our actions might affect someone else?

Quote:
They(the Duggars) aren't the people running the Today Show, so it isn't their fault when people freak out when something big happens to them
The Duggars were ON The Today Show, making a very dramatic announcement about being pregnant with #20. For all I know, they were making the rounds of all the morning shows that day (I only watch The Today Show). It's all about self-promotion.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:29 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,879 times
vagina: it's not a clown car

Old 12-21-2011, 12:32 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think it has more to do with what love means to me.
I believe you have no idea what Love is since you can't understand why people would be sad if their baby died even before it is born.

Please have yourself fixed or never do anything that may produce a baby.

Lets see, Dad left and Mom blamed YOU, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies