Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:16 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You've got some interesting statistics about people in prison for violent crimes; ... Also there is a great deal of published research that clearly shows an extremely high correlation between drug usage and violent crime ------
... But, I'm not sure how you conclude from your statistics and graphs about the number of people in prison ..... that "the war on drugs has failed" ... and/or the argument of subsequent posters that "drugs should be legalized ... 'because drug laws have failed to keep people from committing violent (and other) crimes that lead to prison?"

You may be right about your conclusion that 'the war on drugs has failed'. Usage is certainly higher now than ever before. But, where is the evidence that legalizing drugs will reduce drug usage or crimes committed by drug users?

Your graphs and statistics actually seem to show that "putting people in prison' doesn't keep them from committing crimes" --- or "that the war on crime has failed" (... ? perhaps crime should be legalized? -- or perhaps, that prisons should be eliminated as 'racist' because such a large percentage of inmates are non-white? )
The point is that some people will find a way to alter their state of mind no matter what or how. It has been shown throughout history that outlawing something that has a demand will create a dangerous black market system. Urban minorities are the biggest losers in this black market system.

Drug rates are equal across all racial demographics yet urban minorities are imprisoned at astronomical rates.
I don't know about you, but I don't want my taxes paying to imprison a 19 year old caught with a dime bag of weed. I also don't want that 19 year old's life to be ruined and effectively removed from our society because of it. It would also be nice if our police could focus on protecting people from other people, not protecting people from themselves.

Not to mention effectively putting an end to the wars on our streets (I mean, seriously the US urban murder rate is atrocious) and the Mexican Drug wars. I recently read that Colombian Cocaine dealers are using submarines to transport their product. When an industry can afford submarines to transport their product the demand is so great that outlawing it is no longer an option.

One of the main reasons that The War on Drugs is a failure is that today, people are overdosing at record rates yet nothing is being done because the drugs are legal and prescribed. Why isn't there a "War on Pharmaceutical Companies"?
It is beyond hyprocritical and even insane to outlaw a natural plant yet advertise and promote a life of multiple man-made drug prescriptions. Alcohol is more dangerous than Marijuana. Presciption drugs are definitely more dangerous than Marijuana yet our children are not taught this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 06:02 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
You cannot control human behavior thru legislation. You may be able to pursuade it a tiny bit, but never control it.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:11 AM

994 posts, read 1,681,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
As long as children listen we're good.

Russia has some rather lax drug laws and now they get to deal with the new "designer drug" Krokodil. Imagine America if that takes off here.

Krokodil: The drug that eats junkies
Isn't fear used as a tool to support this failed drug war? All I got from your post was spreading fear in regards to krokodil.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I disagree with the OP. The drug war has been a roaring sucess for the private sector that takes government money and turns it into a profit.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I disagree with the OP. The drug war has been a roaring sucess for the private sector that takes government money and turns it into a profit.
This is correct. Perhaps I should've said, The "War on Drugs" has provided concealed benefits for some, and disastrous results for the majority.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:38 PM

764 posts, read 597,193 times
Nothing shows societies obsession with the status quo, the reach of lobbyist's money, and the level of general ignorance that can be spread, better than the War on Drugs.

It's an unconstitutional policy that infringes on our individual liberties and produces no positive results. End it. It's failed. This isn't up for debate. It's failed and it should have never been started...

Old 12-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Interesting article today on The Russian Times. I did not know that America was the only Western country that allows for direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs.
As the "War on Drugs" rages on, legalized drugs are killing more people now than any illegal drug has ever done.

"The United States has a passion for pills, being the world's biggest users of psychotropic drugs, consuming 60 per cent of them. And pharmaceutical firms are keen to keep cashing in on the multibillion-dollar market, even if it costs people's health.

Last year, prescription drug abuse became the number one cause of accidental death, with more than 30,000 Americans overdosing

The number of children consuming antipsychotic medication has doubled in the past decade. Millions of American adolescents are taking drugs like Adderall, doled out by doctors to treat hyperactivity."

Pharmageddon: America

Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
I don't understand how people say the repealing the war on drugs will make crime go down.

I have worked with coke,crack,heroin addicts,and believe me,some drugs do weird things to peoples mind.

Cocaine makes some users violent to anyone in their path. Imagine if some guy is high off of some coke he got at the corner store,and he gets in a violent rage and starts beating some elderly man who just so happens to be walking past?

Or some heroin user needs the drug so bad that they steal your things out your car and sell it?

Don't get me started on angel dust,or PcP and Lsd. Really,extreme violence.

It really doesn't matter if they are legal or not,a lot will still commit crimes because they would still need money to purchase the drugs.

Lastly,do you think most employers would hire drug addicts? Seems to me a lot won't still be able to hold jobs.

Maybe marijuana would be the exception,but no to the others.

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 12-27-2011 at 03:54 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 03:50 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't understand how people say the repealing the war on drugs will make crime go down.

I have worked with coke,crack,heroin addicts,and believe me,some drugs do weird things to peoples mind.

Cocaine makes some users violent to anyone in their path. Imagine if some guy is high off of some coke he got at the corner store,and he gets in a violent rage and starts beating some elderly man who just so happens to be walking past?

Or some heroin user needs the drug so bad that they steal your things out your car and sell it?

It really doesn't matter if they are legal or not,a lot will still commit crimes because they would still need money to purchase the drugs.

Lastly,do you think most employers would hire drug addicts? Seems to me a lot won't still be able to hold jobs.

Maybe marijuana would be the exception,but no to the others.
What is stopping your scenarios from happening now?

Unless you think the only thing stopping more people from becoming drug addicts is a law...

Old 12-27-2011, 03:59 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What is stopping your scenarios from happening now?

Unless you think the only thing stopping more people from becoming drug addicts is a law...
Nothing except a lot are in jail,which prevents them from commiting the crimes.

A lot of drug addicts I saw had commited violent crimes while high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies