Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:32 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Actually nothing. You would be hard pressed to demonstrate a correllation between the use of corporal punishment and a any decrease in future criminal behavior. In point of fact most of the research demonstrates that reliance on spanking increases aggressive behaviors and most astounding a decrease in IQ.
If you ignore the elementary difference between correlation and causation, of course it would appear to demonstrate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
I have all the proof I need... Great kids and 9 wonderful grandkids who are all very bright and well behaved. I'm not ashamed to go with them in public.... Hope you can say the same.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
It takes a real man to beat a child.

As previously pointed out, violent crime is actually down; kids are just getting arrested for more stupidity in an over-regulated society. Also as previously pointed out, there is no cause and effect relationship here. Everything I ever read says physical abuse only corrects short-term behavior, but actually increases long-term aggressive behavior. For the record, I think much of it is nonsense in both scenarios.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
If you ignore the elementary difference between correlation and causation, of course it would appear to demonstrate that.
That's a tired, lazy way to scoff at studies of human behavior. As if we have a control "World" we can conduct experiments with? It's almost all correlation and when people don't like the conclusions of the study that's what they start harping about.

Europeans for the most part refrain from corporal punishment and they have some of the lowest murder rates in the World. Even compared to our lily white US States.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
That's a tired, lazy way to scoff at studies of human behavior. As if we have a control "World" we can conduct experiments with? It's almost all correlation and when people don't like the conclusions of the study that's what they start harping about.
It's almost all correlation? Perhaps, which is why people believe so much crap on so many subjects. A little more skepticism is most certainly called for.

The lack of a control world does not excuse us from dealing with and admitting our constraints. Sometimes the constraints of the real world are insuperable.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
It's almost all correlation? Perhaps, which is why people believe so much crap on so many subjects. A little more skepticism is most certainly called for.

The lack of a control world does not excuse us from dealing with and admitting our constraints. Sometimes the constraints of the real world are insuperable.
I agree they are some bad studies out there but is it that surprising to you that lack of corporal punishment does not lead to bad effects in society?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I agree they are some bad studies out there but is it that surprising to you that lack of corporal punishment does not lead to bad effects in society?
(shrug) Depends on how broadly you define society. It would be surprising to me if the refusal even to entertain the option of corporal punishment did not have a negative effect on the behavior of the potential recipients, who are part of society, so I suppose, yes, it would be a little surprising.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:46 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Sorry, but spanking and hitting or beating a child are different. Not ashamed to say my child got spanked. Could count the times on one hand. And his punishment always fit the unacceptable behavior. As he got older and spanking was no longer an option we went to what we called the "hard labor punishment". Each time that teenage lippy attitude came up we'd start with 1 hour of hard labor, keep it up.. 2 hrs.. again.. 3 hours. He finally learned to zip it. What this meant was he would be up at the crack of dawn, with us, out digging post holes, or planting trees, or painting, or whatever needed to be done that caused sweat and hard work. Suppose I'm going to be reported now for child labor laws?

Proud to say, he survived his teenage years, drug and alcohol free, a straight A student and state designated scholar, won a great scholarship to a top university, graduated summa *** laude, and will within the year get his doctorate. Will he tell you he is abused? Nope... he was raised by loving parents who spoiled him when they could, yet taught him how to be self-sufficient, and to be a well-mannered respectable human being.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:50 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
aus10... Just tried to rep you again but they won't let me dangit.. You seem to have followed the same coarse I did, and it payed me the same dividends with all of my children. I wouldn't change a thing and my grandkids are pretty much being raised in the same manner... Job well done sir..

Old 12-19-2011, 05:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
It would be surprising to me if the refusal even to entertain the option of corporal punishment did not have a negative effect on the behavior of the potential recipients,
Then be surprised because the literature is rather clear on this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies