Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:12 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times

Advertisements

227,000 new jobs were added in February - adding to the 284,000 created in January - and while the "traditional" (ie U-3) Unemployment Rate remained steady at 8.3%, the "real" Unemployment Rate (ie U-6 - which includes those no longer on the active UE rolls) dropped to 14.9% - the lowest full-month number since January 2009 (Obama's 1st month in office) and the Labor Participation Rate climbed - reflecting the fact that once-discouraged workers are returning to the work force.

February jobs report: Unemployment holds steady amid hiring - Mar. 9, 2012

http://portalseven.com/employment/unemployment_rate.jsp

http://portalseven.com/employment/un...nt_rate_u6.jsp

All of which bodes well for Obama's re-election.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-09-2012 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
As one person put it, "When you are the person without a job, the unemployment rate is 100% for you."

Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
The eye popper in today's reports came from the household survey where, over the past two months, there were over a million new entrants in the labor market and NO increase in unemployment. It has been generally expected that the UE rate would rise as people returned from the sidelines. So far it has not, and that suggests very strong job growth at startups and small businesses that do not show up in the other survey where the new jobs number comes from. Good day for Obama and America! Let's hope it continues.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
As one person put it, "When you are the person without a job, the unemployment rate is 100% for you."
I agree and that was a sore spot in today's report. The long term unemployment is just proving stubborn. In most cases, this is because the jobs have been shipped overseas, the plant is closed, and the workers do not have skills to take on the jobs that might be there or the means to move to where they are. It is very disheartening if you are in this position. Job retraining might help. Don't expect the Republicans to be willing to spend tax dollars to help relocate, re-educate or retrain Americans. They are determined to provide additional tax relief to the wealthy instead.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
People ridiculed Obama when he said that ATMs were taking jobs away from people but he's absolutely correct.

It will be difficult to replace jobs were humans are replaced by machinery.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
227,000 new jobs were added in February - adding to the 284,000 created in January - and while the "traditional" (ie U-3) Unemployment Rate remained steady at 8.3%, the "real" Unemployment Rate (ie U-6 - which includes those no longer on the active UE rolls) dropped to 14.9% - the lowest full-month number since January 2009 (Obama's 1st month in office) and the Labor Participation Rate climbed - reflecting the fact that once-discouraged workers are returning to the work force.

February jobs report: Unemployment holds steady amid hiring - Mar. 9, 2012

http://portalseven.com/employment/unemployment_rate.jsp

http://portalseven.com/employment/un...nt_rate_u6.jsp

All of which bodes well for Obama's re-election.

Ken
The whole rationale for a Romney presidency has been, "Yeah, we knows he's a drip, but he's a businessman, he'll save the economy... blah blah blah..."

Well if the economy doesn't NEED saving, can we dispense with having to put with a drip for president, and stick with the cool dude instead?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,202 times
I'm sorry, but if we're getting excited about unemployment being over 8% and real unemployment being over 14%... Then our economy needs saving more than ever. We need someone who knows what they're doing. We need someone who won't just sit there with no coherent agenda until the unemployment rate makes a slight cyclical drop, someone who understands the incentives real businessman face. It is possible to get our unemployment back to where it was pre-2008. We just need someone who knows how employers think, and what incentives they face

Old 03-09-2012, 09:17 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Don't expect the Republicans to be willing to spend tax dollars to help relocate, re-educate or retrain Americans. They are determined to provide additional tax relief to the wealthy instead.
Because tax dollars do not create jobs, they create debt. We the people pay those taxes. Taxes need to be lowered on everyone.

Why would you want our wasteful, inefficient government to take your money under the guise of creating jobs? We the people spend that money more efficiently, that much is obvious. Do you think the people burn their money? Of course not, we spend it on what we deem is important. When we spend it, someone has to service our needs. Someone with a job. We create jobs, not government.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
I'm sorry, but if we're getting excited about unemployment being over 8% and real unemployment being over 14%... Then our economy needs saving more than ever. We need someone who knows what they're doing. We need someone who won't just sit there with no coherent agenda until the unemployment rate makes a slight cyclical drop, someone who understands the incentives real businessman face. It is possible to get our unemployment back to where it was pre-2008. We just need someone who knows how employers think, and what incentives they face
Government creates the cycles you speak of. They create the booms and busts and the busts are always worse than the booms.
No oligarchy can hope to make the correct decisions for me. I'm not in the 1 percent. I'm not wall street, bankers, or corporate or union.
I know how employers think. When they make a quality product for a fair price they know I'll do business with them. I don't need government fixing prices and telling me they know what's best for me. Why rely on government which is a known failure?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The whole rationale for a Romney presidency has been, "Yeah, we knows he's a drip, but he's a businessman, he'll save the economy... blah blah blah..."

Well if the economy doesn't NEED saving, can we dispense with having to put with a drip for president, and stick with the cool dude instead?
I don't understand the ones who say Romney knows about the countries economy. When did Romney speak up about the Housing crisis which ruined us economically? I know Ron Paul did from day one and told us the exact reasons why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies