Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:28 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go do a google. Minority owned and women owned businesses get special treatment from states/fed regarding bonds and in many times the bond is "waived" so they can get a foot in the door.

No, it's not a level playing field by any means.

Thats gross
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 02:28 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Go do a google. Minority owned and women owned businesses get special treatment from states/fed regarding bonds and in many times the bond is "waived" so they can get a foot in the door.

The federal gov't is REQUIRED to give a certain amount of work to "minorities" under the 8A set aside program administered by the Small Business Admin.

As with most gov't programs people have learned how to scam it.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Well IMO it's stupid. All AA put asides are stupid.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:42 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
What's to stop someone from just saying they're gay to be eligible for this?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
What's to stop someone from just saying they're gay to be eligible for this?
Maybe they show you erotic videos and measure your response with some type of machine.

Moonbattery I tell you.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:51 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Wow , no bond? Ive never bid a fed funded job that didnt require a bond.
For years we refused to bid any work that required a performance bond or we took exception to the requirement. Many of the procurements are so badly written or managed that the contractor can never be completely sure of the exact scope or requirements. The contracting officers and the technical folks get into a contest, and everyone loses.

Billions of fed dollars are spent without performance bonds.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:55 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Guess Im out of the loop. Havnt done fed work in quite a while. Damn paperwork takes longer then the job in my field.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the government is nothing but an entity (often seen as a beast) shaped and formed by a series of ACLU law suits.
that is why it is so complex to operate and its workers must be exceptional.
constant change and revision in behavior and procedure is daily demanded.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:

Very true. They now have special programs that help them transition from 8A to Non-disadvantaged business.

There are downsides. My banker once told me there were restrictions on 8A businesses. Many don't transition from 8A very well and lose money or contracts. This puts the bank at risk.

We acted as a mentor for a small 8A about five years ago. It was rewarding in some respects. I liked helping the lady out. She was technically quite brilliant, but didn't have an ounce of practical business experience. To me the most interesting aspect was to watch her attitude toward government change. She was quite liberal when I first met her. She still is on many social issues. On the business side she's all republican.

Overall I think the 8A program is worthwhile, but I'm against the gay, lesbian, gender set-asides.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
This is just too damn much. How do you certify a firm is transgendered? Show up in a dress? Do I wear high heels to the pre-bid?
No, a push-up bra is sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This will get abused. Just say you're gay or show up in a dress like you said.
Did I ever tell you I'm really a big gay transgender transvestite black woman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
THESE are the "special rights" that gays are after.

Do a good job, make a good product and people will buy your product or service. Regardless of your sexual tendencies, race or gender.

This is exactly why people get agitated.
Who says there's no "Slippery Slope."

We all knew this was coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies