Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,788,533 times

Advertisements

Nothing in the linked article states that Holder wants to do away with state laws requiring ID's. That's a surmise of the OP who is openly biased.

As attorney general, it's part of Holder's job to scrutinize laws that can be abused to discriminate against certain segments of society.

Laws requiring ID or qualifications to vote have a long and sordid history of being used to discriminate against certain segments of society.

The fact that the majority of Americans are oblivious to potential problems with voter ID laws does not negate the US Attorney General's obligation to be aware of those potential problems and to do whatever is necessary to assure that US citizens' right to vote is not abridged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 03:22 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,831,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
in 2004 I voted twice. Once in Massachusetts and once in NH
And what about the voter id law would have prevented you from doing that?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,472,484 times
Absolutly nothing

Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,665,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
But, honestly, is there any place in the US that the average adult can go about his or her life without some form of ID? Even if you don't drive, you're going to need an ID at some point.
No, but some people think if they repeat it over and over it will become truth.

There are many ways to accomplish voter suppression if that is the goal - but requiring ID when everyone has one, is not one of those ways.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:24 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,633,279 times
Quote:
Ummm...to prevent voter fraud and to prevent illegal aliens from voting.

I think state ID cards should be available at no charge so that people who don't have driver's licenses can get them to use for voting without having to pay anything. I also think any fees to get birth certificates or other documents necessary to get a state ID card should be waived.

But, honestly, is there any place in the US that the average adult can go about his or her life without some form of ID? Even if you don't drive, you're going to need an ID at some point.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,281,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
No, but some people think if they repeat it over and over it will become truth.

There are many ways to accomplish voter suppression if that is the goal - but requiring ID when everyone has one, is not one of those ways.
Requiring an ID which can be gotten for free is suppression ?
And yet, this is not.....

Feds: Nightstick at polls 'not prosecutable'

Old 12-20-2011, 03:27 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,502,759 times
Far as I know no state offers free ID. Then there is a cost associated with taking off work to stand on line in the DMV for a few hours. You're talking about a group that barely votes as it is.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,281,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Far as I know no state offers free ID. Then there is a cost associated with taking off work to stand on line in the DMV for a few hours. You're talking about a group that barely votes as it is.
Google that.

Plenty of states offer FREE state IDs to those that qualify.
Even the homeless can get a free ID although I don't know how they handle the "home address" part.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:41 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,373,125 times
Quote:
It might be possible somehow. To be honest though, if I didn't drive I wouldn't need an ID.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:41 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,472,484 times
You never cash a check?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies