Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Ah yes, Holder is looking into stopping things like that. The problem is that 69% of people in the latest Rasmussen poll about ID cards and voting disagree with Holder and his boss. I don't think they care about that number if they can destroy the state laws that are so much needed in too many cases.

69% Say Photo ID Voting Laws Are Not Discriminatory - Rasmussen Reports™
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 02:50 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Ya need one to by a bottle of beer, why not to vote.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:58 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Ah yes, Holder is looking into stopping things like that. The problem is that 69% of people in the latest Rasmussen poll about ID cards and voting disagree with Holder and his boss. I don't think they care about that number if they can destroy the state laws that are so much needed in too many cases.

69% Say Photo ID Voting Laws Are Not Discriminatory - Rasmussen Reports™
Where are they needed and why? Get a clue Roy, on what the voter suppression is about. Or is it that you agree, "them people don't know how to vote right".

Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Where are they needed and why?
Ummm...to prevent voter fraud and to prevent illegal aliens from voting.

I think state ID cards should be available at no charge so that people who don't have driver's licenses can get them to use for voting without having to pay anything. I also think any fees to get birth certificates or other documents necessary to get a state ID card should be waived.

But, honestly, is there any place in the US that the average adult can go about his or her life without some form of ID? Even if you don't drive, you're going to need an ID at some point.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:04 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Where are they needed and why? Get a clue Roy, on what the voter suppression is about. Or is it that you agree, "them people don't know how to vote right".
I'm not sure how to respond. Fair elections are one of the cornerstone principles of a free society. Why anyone from either party would oppose voter id's escapes me.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:12 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
I hope Holder is successful. This is clearly one part an agenda of Republican voter suppression. In the seminal case on voter ID laws Crawford v Marion County Election Board the proponents of voter ID laws could not site even one single prosecution for in person voter fraud in the entire state of Indiana. Not even one single case! In the state of Wisconsin shortly after passing a voter ID law the GOP in the legislature opted to close down a fair amount of DMV offices in Democratic areas, surprise, surprise. This is simply a scaremonger technique to try to stop legal voters from casting ballots that might endanger Republican candidates. The only reason these laws contain free ID provisions is not to help people vote, but rather to prevent this sham legislation from being declared unconstitutional as a violation of the 24th amendment. I am thrilled that my state's governor had the good sense to veto this piece of garbage the moment she got it.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:15 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Massive voter fraud: yet another urban legend that republicans believe. That's why you rely on science and facts instead of faith and 'common sense', people.

The end goal of these "reforms" are to disenfranchise the poor, who are less likely to have ID and/or won't bother to get it.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
You need an ID to cash a check.
You need an ID, sometimes 2 to take a certification test.
You need an ID, if challenged, to buy with a credit card.

Yet, you need NO ID to vote. That would be suppression ? Even with free ID offered ?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:16 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I'm not sure how to respond. Fair elections are one of the cornerstone principles of a free society. Why anyone from either party would oppose voter id's escapes me.
What makes you think the elections were not fair without the suppression law? The sad thing is how many people pretend to not see the suppression for what it really is.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:17 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
in 2004 I voted twice. Once in Massachusetts and once in NH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies