Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:25 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
but i'm sure they have paperwork on file.. or they aren't officially married by law.. national law... the law of their god is a different law of our nation. law of a nation provides and extends those rights to ALL its citizens.. allowing them to build a life with whoever they love...and having it recognized for tax purposes, and benefits etc.. god doesn't have to sanction my marriage if I ever get to marry who I love.. and I'm ok with that.. but if I pay taxes and can be sent off to war in a draft, then I better have those rights extended to me as well.. even if the person I fell in love with does not have a vagina to shoot out kids..

No they have no paperwork and they do not believe in God. In their eyes and in our eyes (our family) they are married. Why does everyone on the left think that anyone that doesn't agree with them is Christian? Geeezzz!

You have the same rights to marry like all of us have. What you want is special rights. When life becomes a free-for-all it becomes a free-fall.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:27 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
No they have no paperwork and they do not believe in God. In their eyes and in our eyes (our family) they are married. Why does everyone on the left think that anyone that doesn't agree with them is Christian? Geeezzz!

You have the same rights to marry like all of us have. What you want is special rights. When life becomes a free-for-all it becomes a free-fall.
no I don't.. you have the right to marry who you love.... I don't... guess you don't see it...

Old 08-30-2007, 03:36 AM

478 posts, read 959,713 times
I personally don't think gay marraige should be allowed in any state. Enough is enough. If people want to be gay, live together, have happy lives - good for them. But to have to impose some sort of right to be married as in a traditional man and woman ceremony, I say no way. It's too much. It's time we draw the line at some "traditional values" somewhere. Beyond that, before you know it - it becomes a societal "norm" - and then you have to think about children. They don't need to be exposed to this when young and impressionable - life is confusing enough as is growing up - it just throws another unnessecary element into the mix for them.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:46 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
I personally don't think gay marraige should be allowed in any state. Enough is enough. If people want to be gay, live together, have happy lives - good for them. But to have to impose some sort of right to be married as in a traditional man and woman ceremony, I say no way. It's too much. It's time we draw the line at some "traditional values" somewhere. Beyond that, before you know it - it becomes a societal "norm" - and then you have to think about children. They don't need to be exposed to this when young and impressionable - life is confusing enough as is growing up - it just throws another unnessecary element into the mix for them.
well thats fair enough, but you can't make gay people go away.. what are you going to tell your kids when they meet a gay person.. or better yet becomes friends with someone who has a gay parent? will you demonize them to pass on your trusty values to your child? I think making things Norm is long gone, anyone is anyone who has homosexuals as co-workers, neighbours, friends, relatives... there's just no getting around the issue.. if thats what you're trying to avoid. And what will you tell your son or daughter if they come to you one day in confidence.. to say they're gay. My parents shared many of these beliefs you have.. and they didn't think in a million years they would be confronted with the issue.. so close to home..

Old 08-30-2007, 04:43 AM

76 posts, read 209,290 times
It will be those states which either have a high percentage of education coupled with a high level of younger people. This leaves out the south. It is also where people hold libertarian ideals of non-governmental decisions in personal affairs. Marriage was not defined as we know it until the Hardwick Act in the 1700's. Before that, you could sit at a tavern with a woman and a preacher and be married. As for religion in it, I agree with the person who prevented a religious war in her lifetime "...some thinks thing, some other; whose judgement is best G-d knows." Elizabeth 1st to a Scottish diplomat as quoted by Queen Mary to the Duke of Guise.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:59 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Probably should ban marriages between men and women, too while we are at it. Those are the folks getting all the divorces and harming marriage.

Ban them all and let God sort them out.

You know, thinking just a little bit about this topic -- probably the only thing dumber than this faux political discussion are the folks who vote based on it.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The concept of marriage is a contract between a man and a woman to have and raise children. It requires both to have sex with each other and to be financially responsible for raising the kids to self-sufficiency. The children are expected to take care of the parents as the parents become unable to provide for themselves.

On this basis marriage has no connection to love or desire or anything but increasing the population. Most governments have seen this as a necessity or at least as a “good thing”. Most religions do as well. Even in societies with population densities over the environments carry capacity think unlimited procreation a good thing. This is not necessarily so. Just look at places that have way too many people to feed, house and care for all of them.

Now married homosexuals (gays) do not add to the population pressure and do not divert any of their economic activity into taking care of children. Other than that, they are pretty much the same as everybody else. What they are going to do as they age and become infirm is left to them and their ability to pay for care instead of extract it from their children as payment for raising the kids.

Ironically one of the major side effects of gay marriage is the reduction in sodomy. Like most married straight the frequency of sex decreases with familiarity and age. Thus encouraging gay marriage will reduce “sinning”. That may just be a “good thing”.

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Connecticut may be the next state to allow gay marriage legally . The state passed the Civil Unions law first in 2005-signed by Republican Governor Jodi Rell in April 2006. She only signed the law if the statement 'Marriage is recognized between a man and a woman' was inserted.

The state has had hate crime and strict anti discrimination laws for gay people in private and public employment (including public schools) since 1991.

IT seems the state legislature is moving toward gay marriage at a rapid pace. Polls in Connecticut give gay marriage a slight edge among the populace -while civil unions was supported by about 75-80%.

Mrs. Rell may have no choice but to accept the change from civil unions to 'marriage' in the near future- the Democrats hold veto proof majorities in both the house and senate.

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Two people who love each other and want to commit to each other for life ? Yep I'll second that one, Marriage should be for ALL who want to enter that institution. Who bloody cares what sexual orientation they are, Love is what matters and commitment in all its forms should be embraced, it makes for a better society to encourage stable long-term relationships.
How people can get so worked up over two people in love is beyond me.
There is enough hatred in the world, but obviously not enough for some...

Old 08-30-2007, 05:35 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
I'm all for it if they will come up with a different word.

50 years ago gay marriage would have meant a happy man and woman.

Why couldn't they call jolly joining or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies