Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:16 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I'm all for it if they will come up with a different word.

50 years ago gay marriage would have meant a happy man and woman.

Why couldn't they call jolly joining or something?
This was my mother's argument about it. We discussed this a few months ago, and she brought up the 'marriage is between a man and a woman' argument - I thought she meant that she was against gay marriage, but she was talking about changing the word marriage to 'union' or something like that. This seemed trivial to me, but it was a big deal for her.

My own stance is this: If society told me I couldn't marry my husband, I'd tell society to go to hell. Marriage is between two people and God. It's sacred territory. No government can legislate that. As for the law, is it really so much to ask for the same property rights and legal connection that a married couple enjoys? Two people who contribute to society, pay taxes, and harm no one - who are AMERICAN CITIZENS - are entitled to that.

As for children.....that's a tougher issue. That needs some careful consideration. One way or another, children will be familiar with this issue at an early age, and they'll have to deal with homosexuality, whether gay marriage is legal or not.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
I tend to agree with your mother. Words and the institutions of a society have meaning, and when you start to change them, you see the society change a lot. I don't look at the issue of gay marriage as only one point but one in a number of ways the fabric of society is being changed. I do think that gay couples should be able to have access to all of the legal rights of a marriage though.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:39 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
We already have marriage equality. EVERY man can marry a woman and EVERY woman can marry a man.
Thats not equality... a gay man can't marry another gay man and a gay woman can't marrry another gay woman....

So you're wrong

Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,415 times
Quote:
We already have marriage equality. EVERY man can marry a woman and EVERY woman can marry a man.

I think marriage should be between the couples that have different gender, different height, different networth, different race, different beauty, different age. It should about one man and one woman, one tall and one short, one rich and one poor, one nice looking and one butt ugly, one younger and one older.

In other words, a man can only marry a woman and vice versa, a tall person can only marry a short person and vice versa, a rich can only marry poor, nice looking can only marry butt ugly, and one young can only marry the old.

And guess what, they would all be equal because everyone would have the same right to marry someone of a different gender, different race, different networth, different height, and different age. (Or following citigirl's equality 'logic', EVERY tall person can marry a short person and EVERY short person can marry a tall person, EVERY poor person can marry a rich person, and EVERY rich person can marry a poor person)

If you want to marry someone with the same gender, same race, same height, same networth, or same age, then you are asking for special rights, cause you already have the same rights to marry someone of a different [whichever couple's traits you don't like].

Using this line of reasoning, we can all prevent all sort of ppl from marrying and they would all still be considered equal!!!

Last edited by person; 08-30-2007 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-30-2007, 10:45 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
No they have no paperwork and they do not believe in God. In their eyes and in our eyes (our family) they are married. Why does everyone on the left think that anyone that doesn't agree with them is Christian? Geeezzz!

You have the same rights to marry like all of us have. What you want is special rights. When life becomes a free-for-all it becomes a free-fall.
Do they have spousal rights under social security?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
No they have no paperwork and they do not believe in God. In their eyes and in our eyes (our family) they are married. Why does everyone on the left think that anyone that doesn't agree with them is Christian? Geeezzz!

You have the same rights to marry like all of us have. What you want is special rights. When life becomes a free-for-all it becomes a free-fall.
You're eyes have been corupted by the conversative right that has put our country 60 years behind everywhere else... Look at Canada, much smaller, but a much better place to live. Because they don't have as much conservative things messing everything up. If our country had more liberals and moderates we would be MUCH MUCH better off

Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
So how long do you think it will take for America to grant mariage equality for all
Never - nor should it IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Which states do you think will be next to allow gay marriage.
A New England state - but, it will be for naught as it will not be recognized by other states

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
I don't believe that the USA will ever get to the point of legally sanctioning anything beyond traditional marriage. I do believe homosexuals will be given a legal context for unions, with specific rights and obligations, but it will be something a little legally different from a marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Do they have spousal rights under social security?
No... I currently have NOTHING. I have no rights with my boy friend. We've dated long term and lived together over a year. But I have no rights with him. Not that I really want them right now. But after I graduate with my undergrad and get a job. It would be nice to have a legal marriage with all the rights and benefits thereof.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
This was my mother's argument about it. We discussed this a few months ago, and she brought up the 'marriage is between a man and a woman' argument - I thought she meant that she was against gay marriage, but she was talking about changing the word marriage to 'union' or something like that. This seemed trivial to me, but it was a big deal for her.

My own stance is this: If society told me I couldn't marry my husband, I'd tell society to go to hell. Marriage is between two people and God. It's sacred territory. No government can legislate that. As for the law, is it really so much to ask for the same property rights and legal connection that a married couple enjoys? Two people who contribute to society, pay taxes, and harm no one - who are AMERICAN CITIZENS - are entitled to that.

As for children.....that's a tougher issue. That needs some careful consideration. One way or another, children will be familiar with this issue at an early age, and they'll have to deal with homosexuality, whether gay marriage is legal or not.
good post on marriage.... ify on children. I can tell you right now I'm having kids. If anyone ever tries to take them from me, I will fight to the death. My kids will not be influenced to be gay or bisexual, if they are great. I will teach them acceptance, tolorance and to treat every person as they should be treated. If those children have to deal with having gay parents, well IMO anyone who gives them a hard time about that needs to quit hating. Those same kids probably have parents that are against inter-racial marriage, and other "TABOO" issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies