Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Funny. If anyone is a hothead, it's Penn. His history speaks loudly.
Yep...he's a notorious hothead. He's got a line, and won't let people cross it without consequences. That's how people SHOULD be. It's how i live too, and i see nothing wrong with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
No. He didn't. Even if he did, she has every right to speak her mind to Penn and defend her brother. You see, it's what families do. Apparently, you wouldn't lift a finger to defend your family but most people would do so to defend their own families. So, yes, I WOULD step up to someone in an airport who has publicly accused me or a family member. The only reason why people saw this was because this was the only time she has seen him in public.

Perhaps he should have answered her letter. Had he done so, this may have been avoided.
Uhhh...who the hell is Maria Conchita Alonso to demand answers to her letters? She his boss or something?

And there is no evidence that she approached him over what he said about her brother. In fact, if she hates Chavez so much, doesn't seem to me that she'd be too angry about an assassination attempt on him, does it? Besides, that wasn't mentioned in the story, so it's a non-starter.

As for you stepping up to someone at an airport....

Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Uhhh...who the hell is Maria Conchita Alonso to demand answers to her letters? She his boss or something?

She's not his boss, but she is someone who is directly affected with an issue that Penn has spoken about. She was totally within her rights to confront him just as he was in his rights to not talk to her and even call her names. If Penn wants to make accusations or say how we stupid folk don't know what we are talking about regarding Chavez and Ahmadinejad, we and/or Alonso have every right to challenge them. If Penn had the guts, he would have answered her.

And there is no evidence that she approached him over what he said about her brother. In fact, if she hates Chavez so much, doesn't seem to me that she'd be too angry about an assassination attempt on him, does it? Besides, that wasn't mentioned in the story, so it's a non-starter.

FROM EW.com:
Alonso said Penn quickly became angry at being confronted: “He is someone that is not going to be able to speak calmly.” According to Alonso, Penn screamed that she is “a pig” and accused her brother (who still lives in Venezuela) of orchestrating an assassination attempt against Chávez. Alonso fired back, calling Penn “a Communist a******.” Noticing that onlookers were stunned into the silence by the bust-up, Alonso eventually decided to step away from the argument and return to her waiting mother… 10 feet away. Awkward!

As for you stepping up to someone at an airport....
Not just at an airport my friend, ANYWHERE.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:03 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,403 times
Quote:
Yep...he's a notorious hothead. He's got a line, and won't let people cross it without consequences. That's how people SHOULD be. It's how i live too, and i see nothing wrong with it.
So you have no issue with Alonso's brother?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
So you have no issue with Alonso's brother?
I don't even KNOW her damn brother! Why in the hell would i have an issue with him?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,642 times
Quote:
He took his feedback, and his answer was "i don't want to talk to you."

What does that mean where you come from?

BTW...are you accustomed to having political arguments about international issues in airports?

And so what if he says that Chavez isn't a dictator? Is that so important? Hell, i was under the impression that we was elected. (he was)
"I don't want to talk to you" means you then keep your mouth shut. Maybe you missed reading the part where he screamed at her and made accusations against her brother. Big difference from not talking to her.

Is there some by-law that I missed that says airports are off-limits to debates?

Obviously it is important to Alonso who has been directly affected by Chavez that someone is spreading irresponsible remarks (in her opinion) about whom she considers evil. Mayeb something that is important to you means zero to Sean Penn or Maria Conchita Alonso.

Oh yes.....he was "elected".

Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 PM

[quote=Mr. Joshua;22216706]
Quote:

Did I say anything about treason? How long has lying been a problem of yours? Oh wait, you're a left winger, I guess it goes with the territory.

In addition, I've never seen the Passion of the Christ and I am not religious. But just like you can declare that Sean Penn is one of the finest actors of his generation. I can declare Gibson to be one of the best film makers of his. And we can both back up our argument with many accolades heaped on the two men by their contemporaries, including AMPAS. They both have Oscars in their chosen professions.
Right...like i said, Gibson is ok because he's thought to be a Conservative, but Penn is bad because he's thought to be a Liberal. I'm not backing down from that because i believe you feel that way.

Anyway, i don't give a damn either way about their accolades or their talents at the end of the day. Neither guy is mailing me a check.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
"I don't want to talk to you" means you then keep your mouth shut. Maybe you missed reading the part where he screamed at her and made accusations against her brother. Big difference from not talking to her.

Is there some by-law that I missed that says airports are off-limits to debates?

Obviously it is important to Alonso who has been directly affected by Chavez that someone is spreading irresponsible remarks (in her opinion) about whom she considers evil. Mayeb something that is important to you means zero to Sean Penn or Maria Conchita Alonso.

Oh yes.....he was "elected".
Dude...he gave her an "out" by telling her that he didn't want to talk. That's a signal to beat it. At that point, that was all he said. She should've did just that....walked the hell away and kept it moving.

He screamed at her because she persisted on pestering him.

There are no by laws against debates in airports. Now i know folks don't understand what being polite is where you come from, but where i come from, folks don't confront other folks in airports over MEANINGLESS international issues looking to cause a scene. Like..i've been in dozens of airports in my lifetime and i've never seen something like that before. That pretty much tells me that it's abnormal behavior in an airport.

And yea....Chavez was elected. Am i wrong?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
[quote]
Quote:

Right...like i said, Gibson is ok because he's thought to be a Conservative, but Penn is bad because he's thought to be a Liberal. I'm not backing down from that because i believe you feel that way.
Fine. Now where did I say that Gibson was ok? I said that he was overshadowing his career with lunacy.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:21 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
His success at his chosen career doesn't excuse him for being a whackjob liberal who loves communist dictators. He is not above reproach or question from anyone.

Yeah, COMMIES!

They're really horrible!

Must be why we support them by buying so many consumer goods from a communist country, eh? I wonder how many communist made goods little Maria has in her house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies