Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 06:21 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,527,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I believe hotels/motels fall under "public accomodations".

The issue of smoking in one's home is irrelevant. That is not the subject of this thread.
Nice attempt at deflection. No, it isnt irrelevant in the larger context, because there are movements and laws to prohibit smoking in public parks and such where there is obviously no heath considerations. And if you don't believe there is the same to regulate smoking in private homes (it will start in the name of the health of children), then you haven't paid much attention.

Uhhhh? Sometimes, many things done in the name of the "Public Accomodations" aspect/clauses/rulings, etc....are stupid...and assaults on classical notions of freedom and private property rights.

As the old saying goes: If the law says this, then the law is an ass!

If you are not responsible enough for your own personal choices and need government to protect you from your own bad choices, then that is your problem. Instead, those of your ilk want to make it everyone elses as well.

But that is ok, huh? It is all in the name of "the greater good" and sooner or later others will realize it, right?

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-24-2011 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic and not other posters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 06:24 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,765,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
So what happens during peak travel season?
The same thing that happens to smokers, people with kids, people with pets, and people who need RV parking at the hotel... you suck it up and take whatever room is available, find another hotel in the next town, or make alternate arrangements ahead of time. I've traveled to towns with no pet-friendly hotels (with my dog), and rather than insisting they cater to my needs, I simply found a friend to stay with instead. And if I didn't have a friend nearby, I probably would have chosen to travel elsewhere or leave the dog at home. Do you not research the hotels before traveling?

Quote:
Go smoke in a smoking area.
If only such a thing still existed in California (and many other states)... they don't even provide outdoor ashtrays anymore, and then complain when people are forced to throw their butts on the ground.

Quote:
This coming from an Ex-Smoker himself.
Of course you are! Ex-smokers are often the most judgmental, along with recovering alcoholics/addicts and born-again Christians.

Look, nobody is arguing that smoking's healthy, and lord knows I'd LOVE to quit (trying now). But this issue is about private vs public regulations, and whether or not a private business should be free to set their own rules. If a hotel wants to be non-smoking, they've had that right pretty much forever - so let them decide, and take your business elsewhere if you disagree.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am guessing that most all hotel owners want to ban smoking in their hotels. Allowing smoking costs them more in insurance and cleaning.
Perhaps so. And they are free to do it. As I said earlier, I quit smoking years ago and don't like to breath the smoke of others. Never did far as that goes. Whether in a restaurant or motel or whatever. But I am free to go elsewhere if I don't want to do so. Simple as that...

And whether or not it costs the business or not is not anyone's decision but the business owner to make in terms of financial gain/loss.

That is another variation on the very patronizing argument I have seen made by some of the extreme anti-smoking crowd. That is, there was no revenue lost by smoking bans. Ok, maybe, or maybe not. The point they miss though is it is NOT their decision to make nor decide. They pay no cost one way or another.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,689,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Perhaps so. And they are free to do it. As I said earlier, I quit smoking years ago and don't like to breath the smoke of others. Never did far as that goes. Whether in a restaurant or motel or whatever. But I am free to go elsewhere if I don't want to do so. Simple as that...

And whether or not it costs the business or not is not anyone's decision but the business owner to make in terms of financial gain/loss.

That is another variation on the very patronizing argument I have seen made by some of the extreme anti-smoking crowd. That is, there was no revenue lost by smoking bans. Ok, maybe, or maybe not. The point they miss though is it is NOT their decision to make nor decide. They pay no cost one way or another.
Do you think that smoking should be allowed on airplanes?

Old 12-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
He already said (more or less) "except in cases like hospitals, police stations, etc, where people have no choice but to be inside & exposed to the smoke." So I imagine airplanes fall under than category, given that you can't open a window or request a "non-smoking room" on a plane.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I would say that is up to the actual airline carrier as to how they regulate it or not. This is also one of those areas where people have freedom of choice. But I can see this one has a lot of variable about it. Good question.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,656,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
So what happens during peak travel season? I will be denied a room because the only ones that might be available are smoking rooms. People who smoke cigarettes need to stop acting like crackheads looking for their next fix. It is so damn selfish to have subject people to your nasty habits cancer causing habits.

Go smoke in a smoking area.

This coming from an Ex-Smoker himself.
if no non smoking rooms are available, but there are rooms available, then you will only deny yourself a room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I'll never forget the time I went on a business trip and reserved a non-smoking room in a very well known hotel chain known for business travelers. Got to the hotel with my co-worker, who had a different room. I was assigned a smoking room - even though my confirmed reservation was for non-smoking.
the problem is that you requested a non smoking room. unless the hotel had a specific code for non smoking rooms, and none that i have worked at in 25 years did, they can only give you what they have. for instance if the property in question had 75 non smoking rooms available, and 80 reservations had a non smoking room request, unless you got there before all the non smoking rooms were sold, you are SOL, unless you want to go to another hotel. it happens, get over it.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:41 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,689,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if no non smoking rooms are available, but there are rooms available, then you will only deny yourself a room.

the problem is that you requested a non smoking room. unless the hotel had a specific code for non smoking rooms, and none that i have worked at in 25 years did, they can only give you what they have. for instance if the property in question had 75 non smoking rooms available, and 80 reservations had a non smoking room request, unless you got there before all the non smoking rooms were sold, you are SOL, unless you want to go to another hotel. it happens, get over it.
If a hotel allows smoking and overbooks the non-smoking rooms, they should pay punitive damages to the customer who ends up in a smoking room.

Last edited by jojajn; 12-24-2011 at 06:53 PM..

Old 12-24-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
If a hotel allows smoking and overbooks the non-smoking rooms, they should pay punitive damages to the customer who ends up in a smoking room.
Airplanes overbook all the time, and only offer "punitive damages" (usually a travel certificate) to select people... everyone else is SOL for not checking in early enough to secure a seat, and waits for the next flight.

Should they also offer punitive damages to a smoker who requests a smoking room and doesn't get one? That's happened to me MANY times, and I just took the room and dealt with it. People are so whiny and demanding these days, I swear!

Old 12-24-2011, 06:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,656,821 times
Quote:
If a hotel allows smoking and overbooks in the non-smoking rooms, they should pay punitive damages to the customer who ends up in a smoking room.
again, there is NO specific code for a non smoking room. second, you do not reserve a non smoking room, you REQUEST one. if none are available, too bad. its like requesting a roll away bed only to find that the hotel had none available because they too have all been rented out. so why should a hotel pay punitive damages to a guest because a requested room is not available? if i have 50 non smoking rooms, and 40 of them were rented on previous nights for multiple nights, and i have 20 reservations for the night in question wanting non smoking rooms, where am i going to get them?

if on the other hand i had a set of codes for non smoking rooms, say ekns(economy king bed non smoking), and i have nine of those in inventory when you make your reservation, and you guarantee that room for late arrival, and i dont have it, that is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies