Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If it's good business decision there is no law preventing the hotel/motel owner from implementing a no smoking policy on their own. What part of that do you or any of these other anti smoking zealots not understand?

Suppose I the business owner WANT to cater to smokers, I can't do that when it's against the law.

Exactly , there are plenty around here already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
<shrug> Then stay at a non-smoking hotel?

I can totally understand not allowing it in places like airplanes and other public confines where the smoking infringes upon my rights. However, this law doesn't allow for a hotel to have a couple smoking rooms down at the end of the building near a smokers lounge.

Don't you remember the attempt to ban fast food restaurants by the far-left berkley nuts because they are unhealthy?

Why don't we just shut down Taco Bell and McD's too?
Another failed analogy by those addicted to that noxious weed. Smokers are addicted and don't have the willpower to stop their foul habit. If they had any sense, they would not have gotten hooked in the first place. But, no, they have to have their crutch!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Michigan and Wisconsin have banned smoking in hotels. This happened last year. Jennifer Granholm is an anti-freedom slob and a left wing zealot. It's no wonder that Michigan elected a Republican this time for Governor.

My wife and I recently went on vacation down south. Coming back north we discovered that we couldn't get a smoking room at any hotel in WI or MI.

Why would these states discourage tourism? Tourism is one of Michigan's biggest industries. It's stupid.

If someone smokes in a hotel room -- IT WILL NOT KILL THE FAMILY IN THE NEXT ROOM. Get it Democrats?

Why is it that whenever LIBERALS are in charge ..... AMERICANS lose their FREEDOM?
Because it ruins the hotel room when people smoke in them! Why are you still smoking indoors in the 21st Century anyway? I'd be shocked if any hotel in any state still allowed it! Smoking indoors ruins everything. Want to kill yourself? Step outside.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Because it ruins the hotel room when people smoke in them! Why are you still smoking indoors in the 21st Century anyway? I'd be shocked if any hotel in any state still allowed it! Smoking indoors ruins everything. Want to kill yourself? Step outside.

Well lets not forget the obvious. Its not your hotel room, its the hotel owners room.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Because it ruins the hotel room when people smoke in them!
Shouldn't the decision be left up to who owns the room if it gets ruined?

Lets put the show on the other foot, suppose the majority of the US population smoked and we made a law that required every hotel room to be a smoking room. Still feel that would be right?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:46 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Sorry, but you can't blame this change in the law on liberals. It's good a business position to take. More people ask to have their rooms changed after checking in because the rooms they were assigned smell bad than there are smokers who check in. It also costs the hotels and motels more money to maintain a room where smokers are because they have to dry clean the drapery and bed spreads more often, not to mention they have to paint more often and replace furniture and counter tops with burn marks more often. The hotels and motels can have a smoker's lounge where smokers can go and the management has a chance to sell them snacks and drinks while they smoke and their insurance rates go down. The law is good for their business.
Umm after it becomes law it's no longer a "business desision", but a decree applied to all.

Maybe I'd like to offer smoking rooms in a hotel I own to capture a percentage of the tourism industry. I can elect to charge more for the smoking rooms because of the increased upkeep and insurance expense.
Now that's a business desision.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Well lets not forget the obvious. Its not your hotel room, its the hotel owners room.
And if they're providing a service to the general public, then they have to abide by the laws we've set up. Should a restaurant be able to serve food that makes people sick? Or discriminate against certain groups?

The point, however, is moot. Smokers are losing the battle, which is a good thing. I have little kids and I'm glad they're growing up in an environment where they very rarely witness anyone smoking. This decreases the chance they'll ever try it.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:50 PM

The fact that hotels are nonsmoking dosnt realy bother me at all. The fact that some many people are ok with the gvmt telling people how to run their businesses is damn near frightening.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Shouldn't the decision be left up to who owns the room if it gets ruined?

Lets put the show on the other foot, suppose the majority of the US population smoked and we made a law that required every hotel room to be a smoking room. Still feel that would be right?
No. I seriously doubt if there's any hotel owner out there who likes having people smoke in his/her hotel rooms because it does ruin the room. By banning it everywhere, it levels the playing field. No hotel owner has to worry about losing business to other hotels if it's banned outright.

And seriously, what are people thinking, wanting to smoke indoors? I haven't seen a lit cigarette indoors since the '90s Smokers need to get over it. Smoke in your own home, car, or outside. I support your right to smoke, but it's such a filthy habit, it should be banned in all public buildings or buildings where the public has access.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
And if they're providing a service to the general public, then they have to abide by the laws we've set up. Should a restaurant be able to serve food that makes people sick? Or discriminate against certain groups?

The point, however, is moot. Smokers are losing the battle, which is a good thing. I have little kids and I'm glad they're growing up in an environment where they very rarely witness anyone smoking. This decreases the chance they'll ever try it.

So should we ban drinking in hotels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies