Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:47 AM

511 posts, read 2,446,121 times

Advertisements

America used to pride itself as a country of second chances, now that is no longer the case. Commit a crime, have credit problems, get fired from your job, become unemployed for a long time, and you are in serious trouble in today's crazy job market!

And it is not just in the job market. The Internet and new technology has created the FICO score. It has become the score that rates you as an individual. It seems like half the pop over ads on the Internet is for a free credit report. They want to sell you the idea that if you have a high FICO score you are a great person. Low score- bad person. If you have a low score everything is more expensive- credit, interest, insurance, etc.

Your entire history is available to people via the Internet. Type in background checks or people search in google and you will find a large number of companies that will provide you a chance to look into the background of pretty much everyone.

How can people who have struggled in life ever get back on their feet when the Internet allows employers and nearly everyone else a chance to see all your dirty laundry and legally discriminate against you because of what they find out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:55 AM

3,999 posts, read 4,127,041 times
Most definitely! Second chances are great! I might even give a third chance depending on circumstance.. But fourth time... forget it. Fool me once shame on you... Fool me four times and I'm a blooming idiot!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,471,499 times
This rant is rediculous. People have second chances now. One can improve their score.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,698,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
America used to pride itself as a country of second chances, now that is no longer the case. Commit a crime, have credit problems, get fired from your job, become unemployed for a long time, and you are in serious trouble in today's crazy job market!

And it is not just in the job market. The Internet and new technology has created the FICO score. It has become the score that rates you as an individual. It seems like half the pop over ads on the Internet is for a free credit report. They want to sell you the idea that if you have a high FICO score you are a great person. Low score- bad person. If you have a low score everything is more expensive- credit, interest, insurance, etc.

Your entire history is available to people via the Internet. Type in background checks or people search in google and you will find a large number of companies that will provide you a chance to look into the background of pretty much everyone.

How can people who have struggled in life ever get back on their feet when the Internet allows employers and nearly everyone else a chance to see all your dirty laundry and legally discriminate against you because of what they find out?

When you "screw up" it should be difficult to get back on your feet. If it were easy then people would screw up all the time and never learn their lesson.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
When you "screw up" it should be difficult to get back on your feet. If it were easy then people would screw up all the time and never learn their lesson.

That was the biggest problem with the bank bailouts. We just told em " alls cool, buss as usual" If they had to eat that they wouldnt be doing it again. We taught them nothing.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,514,722 times
I don't understand the "still" part. America is (and has always been) a place of second, third and even fourth chances. Providing, of course, that you're outrageously rich, a big corporation, a sports star, or a political officeholder.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Why Fred is your credit trashed?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 AM

932 posts, read 1,173,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
This rant is rediculous. People have second chances now. One can improve their score.
Tell to a friend of mine who wants to go back to school, but can't because of existing student loans that he's struggling to pay + health issues.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Sure , whats his email address.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 PM

13 posts, read 42,759 times
I've been a nurse for 16+ years and was fired because a miserble lowlife liar told our Director I abused a patient in my care. Never in my LIFE had I or would I do anything of the sort!! No proof, no thorough investigation...we had a brand new administrator come in that week who decided to make her mark and give me the boot. Now I am trying for my second chance and no-one will give it to me. With an unblemished record but having to write "terminated" in the "most recent employer" section on the job application certainly doesn't open any doors! So yeah, I agree with the OP, it's BS that a DECENT HONEST HARDWORKING person can't get a break. Even with great references, the nursing community is small, talk gets around, and my name is mud. It sucks that people who abuse are allowed to care for our frail, sick and elderly. Then there are others, like me, who cherish caring for them, and are denied the chance. I don't want to be like the lowlifes collecting benefits because they don't want to work. I WANT TO WORK AT MY LIFES CALLING but no-one will let me. It just really really hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies