Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah...Hallmark didn't come up with this idea on their own. No way. I know how it happened:

One day, these blacks in Kansas went to a Hallmark store, and noticed that there were no "black themed" cards, so in anger, they gathered up all the black folks in America to storm Hallmarks offices. So we all showed up (i was there too), and we went inside and threatened all of the white executives by telling them that if there wasn't a black themed Hallmark Card line by that evening, we'd burn the whole plant down....and then kill all the white employees so we could eat them afterwards. It was an amazing scene.

We black folks are formulating another company takeover. Personally, i've got my eyes on GM...I want a black themed line of Cadillac's. Black paint with black leather interior with black tires and dark black tint.

Any more of you blacks on C-D with me on this?
I'm with it! I still have our pic together from the Hallmark march!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 12:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm with it! I still have our pic together from the Hallmark march!
Yea, we had such a great time. Next time, don't forget to bring the neck bones and blackeyed peas to the next march.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:36 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Yes, but when there are pics, who are they of? All of the cards in the regular line (featuring babies, grandparents w/ grandchild, Mom/Dad w/ child, sexy girl/guy, etc are white). The Mahogany cards seem to be more religious and/or homegirl/homeboy in nature. I like the cards and they are the ones I primarily buy.

Hallmark also has a Sinceramente line that targets to Spanish-speaking people. Your thoughts?

I have no opinion either way on either the Mahognay line, or the Spanish-language cards. Businesses cater where the money goes.

It can be annoying to see everything "dually signed" in a store, but I understand the profit rationale for same, even if I don't practically understand how ANY Spanish-speaking visitor or resident of an English speaking country needs basic phrases translated.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
OP, I agree that Hallmark could've incorporate black people in their "regular" line of cards. Instead, they chose to create a Mahogany line. Why? Perhaps that's the bigger question. ..........

Why not question why they offer cards for different religious holidays by different faiths: target marketing. Every different line Hallmark offers is classic target marketing.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Ummmm, I seriously doubt that Hallmark came up with this idea on their own. If you haven't noticed, African Americans like to separate themselves from everyone else by doing things like this. They want their own language, their own churches, their own caucus, their own TV channels, their own everything and now it looks like greeting cards make the list. But god forbid you say anything at all about them doing this and you're a RACIST!
This pretty much sums up the the answer to the OP.

And black people wonder why there's ever a reference to the "Black Community".....as if it doesn't exist.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Nah...Hallmark didn't come up with this idea on their own. No way. I know how it happened:

One day, these blacks in Kansas went to a Hallmark store, and noticed that there were no "black themed" cards, so in anger, they gathered up all the black folks in America to storm Hallmarks offices. So we all showed up (i was there too), and we went inside and threatened all of the white executives by telling them that if there wasn't a black themed Hallmark Card line by that evening, we'd burn the whole plant down....and then kill all the white employees so we could eat them afterwards. It was an amazing scene.

We black folks are formulating another company takeover. Personally, i've got my eyes on GM...I want a black themed line of Cadillac's. Black paint with black leather interior with black tires and dark black tint.

Any more of you blacks on C-D with me on this?
Is there a reason you think that only people in Kansas purchase Hallmark Cards? Did you know the company headquarters is in Missouri? Hallmark is a private corporation, family owned, good luck with that takeover. Are you angry about the Herman Cain connection too?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Why not question why they offer cards for different religious holidays by different faiths: target marketing. Every different line Hallmark offers is classic target marketing.
Sorry, but I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Yea, we had such a great time. Next time, don't forget to bring the neck bones and blackeyed peas to the next march.
Nah...you bring those. I got the chitlins!!!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:07 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Ok. I really didn't know that. I'm not American (but have vacationed there many times). I thought the melting pot ideal was huge over there...as compared to Canada for instance which embraces the smorgasbord concept.

My issue is not with Hallmark having cards with African American faces on them. That's perfectly fine and reflective of the American makeup. I just don't understand why they needed to bring out a separate line for that purpose. It implicitly is saying African Americans are "different". They could have achieved what they wanted to (black people on cards) by just working it into their main line.
They also have cards in the Spanish language marketed toward "Latinos". I have seen cards in German and French from Hallmark as well.

Big deal. I think people of all backgrounds like to send "personal" greeting cards when they buy them off the shelf. What's more personal than having a greeting card being culturally/ethnically relevant to you?

If Hallmark had not expanded their product offerings and cornered the market on those greeting cards you can bet that some other company would have done so and Hallmark would have become less important to those who care to send more ethnically/culturally specific greeting cards - resulting in loss of market share by neglecting that demographic.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Is there a reason you think that only people in Kansas purchase Hallmark Cards? Did you know the company headquarters is in Missouri? Hallmark is a private corporation, family owned, good luck with that takeover. Are you angry about the Herman Cain connection too?
Well, if it's a privately owned, family corporation, why do you give a damn about what line they trot out? If they're doing it, it must be because the line is....you ready....you sure you're ready....ok...here it goes:

PROFITABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies