Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
They found a market and are marketing to it. Good for them . Thats what capitalism is about.
NO, NO, NO....they found a BLACK market! Get it right. It's a crime punishable by death.

How dare they go after black dollars (or green dollars in the hands of black folks)! We've gotta put a stop to this stuff...or they might come up with cards for Jews and Hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 01:52 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Just came from some last minute Christmas shopping at my local Hallmark store at the mall.
I noticed Hallmark carries a line which features black people on it, and noticed the back of all these cards said "Mahogany". Googled it to find out it is Hallmark's African American line which is meant to cater to their culture. This raises 2 questions:

1. (Minor question) Why is this being distributed outside of the US? (I live in the Southern Caribbean...there are very very few African American tourists/expats here)

2. The main question...if the US touts itself as such a massive melting pot why is a separate product line needed to cater to another culture. Ideally to me there should be no Mahogany line at all and African Americans should be featured on Hallmark's main line of cards according to their proportion of the overall population. Why marginalise a non immigrant group of Americans like that? (not saying it is okay to marginalise immigrants of course lol)

* Sorry if my post seems a bit ineloquent compared to others on here....I have a math background and writing is not my strong suit.*

Who the He** CARES!!! It's private enterprise!! They also have spanish cards!

God Help Us All.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:22 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,466,434 times
Been away for a few days and yep. Just like clockwork.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:35 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,722,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. You can appeal to every other group for profit, but if you appeal to the blacks, it's the black folks fault...and profit all of a sudden becomes bad. Even if blacks don't own or run the company that's making all the profits.

Like i always say....let a conservative talk long enough...
Easy now! I am a conservative and I happen to agree with both you and Skinny Puppy.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Easy now! I am a conservative and I happen to agree with both you and Skinny Puppy.
OK...then i'll admit to being a little out of line on that last statement.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:50 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,202,101 times
Quote:
OK...then i'll admit to being a little out of line on that last statement.
It's the anticipation of my chitlins. You're getting a bit loopy.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It's the anticipation of my chitlins. You're getting a bit loopy.
LOL....see? You know you need to stop.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,668,191 times
hahahhaha "Mahogany line," who the hell comes up with these names? Mahogany is about as black as a jalapeño

Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,668,191 times
Quote:
BTW....know a good fried chicken recipe?
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

with some mac 'n' cheese... mmm.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,903,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post

2. The main question...if the US touts itself as such a massive melting pot why is a separate product line needed to cater to another culture. Ideally to me there should be no Mahogany line at all and African Americans should be featured on Hallmark's main line of cards according to their proportion of the overall population. Why marginalise a non immigrant group of Americans like that? (not saying it is okay to marginalise immigrants of course lol)

For the same reason Hallmark makes Hanukkah cards. There is a demand for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies