U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:24 PM

20,950 posts, read 18,245,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I'd be willing to return to pre-Reagan rates. There were plenty of rich people back then and the middle-class had more opportunity.

I'd hate to have America turn into the nation that it's moving, where there are rich people and poor people and the rich have to live in armed compounds out of fear of the angry mobs outside.
I'm sure you would.....because you'll never be asked to pay that rate.

I want an America where I can earn as much as I want and pay as little in taxes as possible.

As the Constitution allows.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:28 PM

I'm headed out to an expensive dinner, probably around $400 for the four of us, so I'll make my final point.(and I'm
buying)

I sure hope that the owner of my company earns many times what I earn.....it will keep the business growing.

Merry Christmas and God Bless us....everyone!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 PM

3,904 posts, read 3,847,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
With all due respect, Your ignorance of how one becomes wealthy is amusing. Name a single wall street banker that works less than 75 hours per week. Name a single surgeon whose contract is for less than 65 hours/week. Those M&A guys who make millions in the market work 90 hour weeks, year after year. A typical day in the life of a Goldman Sachs banker (as told to me by a few friends of mine who have these jobs) is this: get to work at 9am, go home at 11:30pm. Do that monday-saturday, on sunday sleep in and only work from 4pm-11pm. They become wealthy, and hard work has a LOT to do with it. I am not asking you to believe me, look it up yourself. Actually talk to wealthy people and ask them how they did it. Working hard is absolutely essential. The fact that you disagree with this so much shows me how far removed you are from those worlds on a day to day basis.
I know a bunch of folks who reside in the middle class, these are not millionaires by no means.. but to reach the place of being "comfortable" but not wealthy they worked harder than your typical white collar worker. But to get there... it's 80 or more hours a week. Some of these guys were seeing 100+ hours a week. 15 hour days... seven days a week was the norm. All this being away from home... months at a time. All the while, these folks see more and more of their paychecks disappearing to taxes. I can guarantee also that not a one of them shirks their responsibility of paying taxes, nor do they complain about paying their fair share.

What they do complain about however; is that there are those who are playing Robin Hood and do it not with good intentions to help the poor or needy, but instead want to give it to the lazy. Ask a man working 100+ hours a week to give money to charity...he'll give it in a heartbeat. Ask that same man to give to someone who feels he's entitled just because he exists... you probably won't like the answer you'll get.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,254,397 times
Self-explanatory charts:

..and for those that say that the problem is that corporate taxes are too high:

Old 12-22-2011, 07:10 PM

29,888 posts, read 37,973,618 times
Quote:
11-1011
Chief Executives
Employment - 273,500
Median Hourly - $79.37
Mean Hourly - $83.34
Mean Annual - $173,350
Quote:
00-0000
All Occupations
Employment - 127,097,160
Median Hourly - $16.27
Mean Hourly - $21.35
Mean Annual - $44,410
May 2010 National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

Well that smacks a big pile in the fact of the 350:1'ers...

Old 12-22-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Self-explanatory charts:

I could also make charts that "prove" my position.

They mean nothing.

Work hard, live within your means, save a little and you'll be okay.

Every man for himself....except for the truly needy.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Self-explanatory charts:

That's the perfect example of cherry picking numbers and statistician dishonesty.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,254,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's the perfect example of cherry picking numbers and statistician dishonesty.
Cherry picking? I'm giving decades at a time.

Just because you don't like the results doesn't make it dishonest. Facts are facts.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Cherry picking? I'm giving decades at a time.

Just because you don't like the results doesn't make it dishonest. Facts are facts.
Okay, you didn't cherry-pick the data, your sources did.

Fair enough.

Those charts are from a MotherJones' "fact-finding" mission in which they cherry-picked data to back up their assertions that the top 1% (or CEO's as so many would like to claim) are overly compensated.

The previous post, by myself (no pats on the back), completely destroys that myth.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,702,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Work hard, live within your means, save a little and you'll be okay.
Yup. Life is about choices, specifically not always taking the easy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies