U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,335,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
I believe that the severity of income inequality is rather great.

However, my beef has more to do with how that happened, not just the fact that incomes are severely inequal. If I felt bankers and the financial elite had actually earned that wealth, then it wouldn't be a big deal.

However, the combination of
a. Fractional Reserve banking
b. Lack of accounting standards
c. Bailouts
d. Tax preferences

has given me the impression that many, many of these folks didn't earn a damn thing.

c is the biggest. Plenty of smaller banks struggled thru it on their own only to have to compete with larger ones that y all right should no longer be in business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 AM

13,719 posts, read 29,185,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Rick Santorum said this in Iowa and got lots of people angry: "I’m for income inequality. I think some people should make more than other people, because some people work harder and have better ideas and take more risk, and they should be rewarded for it. I have no problem with income inequality."

What do you think? Is he right that a logical person should believe that some people should make significantly more money than others based on how society views their contribution. Should an Accountant sitting in a comfortable office make twice what someone working road construction in the rain, heat and wind makes? Many people think the road construction worker should make more money because he is working harder than the Accountant.

So... what do you think? Do you believe in income inequality?
I have no problem with income inequality. There is no reason to believe otherwise. The reality of your example is that almost anyone can do road construction while far fewer can do accounting. Since there is a need for accountants, they are paid more.

Two people doing the same job equally well should be paid the same.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,301,935 times
Good Morning.

We The People keep on discussing problems and solutions.

Remember this -

Washington isn't listening.

The Senate is on vacation. Just as effective as when they're there.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 AM

20,950 posts, read 18,253,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The owner of the factory doesn't do anything?

You mean running the payroll, marketing the company to keep it vital and alive, dealing with regulations, paying insurance, safety inspections, leading the key people in the company that run each department, firing bad employees, hiring good ones, paying taxes, etc is doing nothing?
Not to mention having the pleasure of dealing with the unions.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 AM

20,950 posts, read 18,253,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have no problem with income inequality. There is no reason to believe otherwise. The reality of your example is that almost anyone can do road construction while far fewer can do accounting. Since there is a need for accountants, they are paid more.

Two people doing the same job equally well should be paid the same.
Maybe one of the two offers more intangibles?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,301,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Not to mention having the pleasure of dealing with the unions.

Unions distort what someone is worth.

Push a button - make $30 per hour.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,471,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
c is the biggest. Plenty of smaller banks struggled thru it on their own only to have to compete with larger ones that y all right should no longer be in business.
"Bailout" is too vague a term to describe the "big problem". Most people associate that word "bailout" with TARP, and TARP wasn't sh*t in the grand scheme of things.

EconoMonitor : Great Leap Forward » BERNANKE

We have a policy of GIVING more and more money to large, well connnected financial institutions, to invest or loan out. This policy has been slowly creeping up on us for decades. It creates "paper wealth" for certain folks, at the expensive of the actual "Main Street economy."

Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 AM

7,477 posts, read 5,842,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
My problen is with the guy that owns the factory and lives off the profit created by your brother and cousin without having to actually do anything.
They get paid a salary in return for the service that they agreed to do. End of Transaction. There is nothing more that is owed to them.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 AM

14,967 posts, read 15,701,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post

No kidding. And then because they insist on "$30 per hour" for the person pushing a button, the business is not able to hire three people for $10 per hour or one person for $10 per hour and one skilled person for $20 per hour. But militant unions don't get this very common sense fact. I guess they're incapable of common sense or of any rational thought.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:46 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,335,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post

Fixed salaries breed stagnation. When the hustler see's the slacker making the same , his incentive to hustle goes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies