U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 AM

9,396 posts, read 15,085,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Rick Santorum said this in Iowa and got lots of people angry: "I’m for income inequality. I think some people should make more than other people, because some people work harder and have better ideas and take more risk, and they should be rewarded for it. I have no problem with income inequality."

What do you think? Is he right that a logical person should believe that some people should make significantly more money than others based on how society views their contribution. Should an Accountant sitting in a comfortable office make twice what someone working road construction in the rain, heat and wind makes? Many people think the road construction worker should make more money because he is working harder than the Accountant.

So... what do you think? Do you believe in income inequality?
The reason the accountant makes more money is because they have a skill that is rarer and in higher demand than construction. There are certain construction specialties that certainly pay well, but you average bricklayer is just that - a bricklayer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

20,950 posts, read 18,252,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Unions distort what someone is worth.

Push a button - make $30 per hour.
Exactly!

Train a monkey and he can do it for banana's.

No offense intended to button pushers.

32,611 posts, read 18,364,631 times
Quote:
Rick Santorum said this in Iowa and got lots of people angry: "I’m for income inequality. I think some people should make more than other people, because some people work harder and have better ideas and take more risk, and they should be rewarded for it. I have no problem with income inequality."

What do you think? Is he right that a logical person should believe that some people should make significantly more money than others based on how society views their contribution. Should an Accountant sitting in a comfortable office make twice what someone working road construction in the rain, heat and wind makes? Many people think the road construction worker should make more money because he is working harder than the Accountant.

It's only common sense. If you make a better mouse trap, you should be able to charge more money for it, then a less effective one.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,471,482 times

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NY...ncialShare.jpg

What , exactly, do these people PRODUCE ?

“The most important financial innovation that I have seen the past 20 years is the automatic teller machine, that really helps people and prevents visits to the bank and it is a real convenience."

“I wish someone would give me one shred of neutral evidence that financial innovation has led to economic growth — one shred of evidence.”

-Paul Volcker, Former Federal Reserve Chairman

Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,580,879 times
Of course I do.

If we don't have income inequality then we won't have motivation to work.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 AM

20,950 posts, read 18,252,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
File:NYUGDPFinancialShare.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What , exactly, do these people PRODUCE ?

“The most important financial innovation that I have seen the past 20 years is the automatic teller machine, that really helps people and prevents visits to the bank and it is a real convenience."

“I wish someone would give me one shred of neutral evidence that financial innovation has led to economic growth — one shred of evidence.”

-Paul Volcker, Former Federal Reserve Chairman
Here come the charts!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,471,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Here come the charts!
What, alpha males don't like charts?

Notice how the little black line increased, right before the Great Depression?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:57 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,584,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have no problem with income inequality. There is no reason to believe otherwise. The reality of your example is that almost anyone can do road construction while far fewer can do accounting. Since there is a need for accountants, they are paid more.

Two people doing the same job equally well should be paid the same.
This is a bit off topic, but if we had a flat tax we wouldn't need so many accountants or lawyers.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,737,703 times
Quote:

Here's the difference (and maybe it's already been mentioned, havent' read the whole thread).
The account, although sitting at a desk with a computer and not physically 'working hard', probably doesn't punch his clock at 5 PM, go home and not think about work until punching in again at 9AM like someone in unskilled/blue collar job might do. The accountant is probably working late, taking work home with him, possibly working some weekends, etc but not getting time and a half to do so like a road construction worker would do.
Also, most blue collar workers are commodities, not based on intellect or ideas and the ability to problem solve like white collar workers paid to make decisions and improvements.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,737,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
My problen is with the guy that owns the factory and lives off the profit created by your brother and cousin without having to actually do anything.
Sorry Greg but that's a bunch of BS. The guy that owns the factory probably sacrificed and risked a helluva lot to one day have the chance to reap the fruits of his labor and risk.
People that are willing to take the risk to start or invest in a business deserve everything good that may come to them and yes, I said "deserve".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies