Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
hey glitch...why are you laughing at me and calling me names, saying i have no clue what off the grid means??....you have no idea how i live on the big island...with exception of having a road in front of my property, i have no services, none, provided to me that you cited in yor post..no fire dept either....what's your beef?
I think many city people don't really understand how many rural people do things.

Actually many people have electricity but not sewer, city water, piped in natural gas, sidewalks and paved roads.

If you don't have electricity, it would be very likely you also don't have sewer, city water, natural gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Sounds like the person you quoted is sticking with the topic of this thread... Electricity.
Sounds like you lower-48ers are completely clueless.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:18 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Sounds like you lower-48ers are completely clueless.
That this thread is about... electricity?

Old 12-23-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
However a lot of people in the lower 48 have septic tanks, propane gas or wood burning stoves, well water, private easements to their property or a dirt road - and own a generator or use a lot of solar panels.

It's not too difficult to live mostly off the grid. It would be difficult to do so in city limits.
Then those you just described would be "off the grid." And yes, there are a handful of people in the lower-48 who are indeed completely off the grid. In some States it is illegal to be completely off the grid even in rural areas, and impossible to not be on the grid within any city limits. They consider it to be a "public health" issue.

It is very difficult, not to mention much more expensive, to live mostly off or completely off the grid. Which is why there are public services to begin with, because most could not afford to not be on the grid.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
hey glitch...why are you laughing at me and calling me names, saying i have no clue what off the grid means??....you have no idea how i live on the big island...with exception of having a road in front of my property, i have no services, none, provided to me that you cited in yor post..no fire dept either....what's your beef?
I am laughing at you because you are posting in City-Data while trying to claim you are "totally off the grid."

If you have internet access, you are most certainly still on the grid.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:31 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,756 times
glitch...you didn't respond to my post, #90, again, what's your beef??

Old 12-23-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am laughing at you because you are posting in City-Data while trying to claim you are "totally off the grid."

If you have internet access, you are most certainly still on the grid.
...never heard of a public library??...here in hawaii its free access with a library card!!...or does the fact that i have a library card make me not off the grid???

Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 PM

well?

Old 12-23-2011, 12:38 PM

15,071 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
GuyNTexas, I don't buy the toxicicity of CFL's. I can bet nearly everyone in America lived with 300 times the amount of mercury in their thermostats than is currently in 1 CFL. I wouldn't go licking them if it busted but simply using a glove and broom to clean up the mess is more than suffcient.

And nearly all big box home stores accept them for recycling.
My question is ... why in hell would you simply make nonsensical assumptions and associations like that? Why not try to read some information?

And sure ... there is a line at Best Buy and WalMart right now, as we speak, with people turning in their burned out CFLs ? Give me a freaking break. Now I'm just taking a wild guess here ... but I'm thinking the average Walmart wanker will toss those CFLs right into the trash like everything else. And if one breaks in the home, like idiots, they'll sweep it up with a whisk broom and dust pan, or vaccuum, and contaminate half their home, and doom themselves and their children to mercury poisoning, without a single clue that they are doing anything wrong. They'll dump what they recover in the trashcan that will contaminate others. And rental properties will become toxic waste dumps of the unseen unknown mercury contamination that was done by some other idiot, even if you're smarter and know how to handle the bulbs properly. But ... I'm just guessing.

AND ... 10-15 years down the road, the increases in cancer will be due to "increased diagnosis" or global freaking warming.

But just for your information, there are a few rather obvious differences between "Thermostats" and CFL light bulbs.

1) you don't have 20 or 30 thermostats distributed throughout you damned house, and stashed in the closet

2) once installed, usually by someone qualified, the average nitwit won't mess with thermostats except to turn them on and off and adjust the temp ... but those nitwits will change light bulbs, and they will drop them and they will break ... and their kids will knock freaking lamps over while rough housing and playing, and improperly clean up the mess before mom gets home

3) people won't be discarding Millions of thermostats in the garbage cans REGULARLY. But I guarantee you they'll be dumping Millions of CFLs in the trash can

4) most modern thermostats no longer have mercury and are now digital, and so are thermometers.

5) Mercury vapor and micro particulate forms are just a little harder to isolate and contain than a blob of liquid mercury

You know .... this really isn't rocket science.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
...never heard of a public library??...here in hawaii its free access with a library card!!...or does the fact that i have a library card make me not off the grid???
Next you will be trying to sell me ocean-front property in North Dakota. If you are expecting me to buy that pathetic manufactured excuse you will have a very long wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies