Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:24 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times

Advertisements

Fatties are ruining everything. Automakers are now going to cater to fatsos too.

We Hear: Automakers to Build Cars to Accommodate Obese Population - WOT on Motor Trend

I can just see it. I'm a normal height and weight and the next time I buy a car I'll probably feel like a little girl because the damn thing will be designed for fatties. Heck it's no fun buying clothes anymore. As much as half of clothing departments are devoted to "plus" sizes, leaving less room for product for for people who are at their correct weights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:45 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Blame the real problem.... inactivity

If people would get up off their lazy, reality tv watching butts and exercise once in a while, we would not be nearly as fat as a nation

I agree. I can't stand hearing about how high fructose corn syrup or fatty meats or whatever is causing American's to grow fatter and their healths to decline. NO ONE IS PUTTING A FRACKIN GUN TO ANYONE'S HEAD. I am sorry but when I hear someone how they gained weight because they ate HFCS, I have to put them in the place and let them know its actually because they are a lardass and need to workout.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Time for a fat tax

Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So all WA men are slim & trim?

Any vehicle has weights beyond which their safety becomes questionable, would you really prefer getting on a ferry where the order of the day is if it fits on we'll take it? Or even more exciting, an airplane?

no, but compared to women, there are more obese women than there are men here.

And how do you equate a plane with a boat??? We put tons of cargo on ships everyday. I doubt you will get the same performance out of an airplane. Have you been on these ferries? If they were really worried about "weight problems" I would think they would restrict the size of vehicles they take on.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
And how do you equate a plane with a boat??? We put tons of cargo on ships everyday. I doubt you will get the same performance out of an airplane. Have you been on these ferries? If they were really worried about "weight problems" I would think they would restrict the size of vehicles they take on.
I think they should. It is why even those vehicles (and the tires) are rated for load not based on number of passengers or number of pieces of cargo, but on weight. If you're using an elevator rated at 600 lb, would you care if there were three 300 pounders to share the ride with you?

Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Fat people ought to be banned from restaurants, bars, busses, airplanes and any other place "decent" people have to look at them.

Take your blubber outside with those other leper's, the smokers.

This is AMERICA! What makes you fatties think you have the right to force yourselves on your upright, noble, health conscious, oh-so-smart fellow citizens?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
OP, that's a pretty poor example of the point you're trying to make. Weight limits on boats aren't government trying to shape behavior, it's a safety issue. The boat will sink if there too many fatasses on it.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Time for a fat tax
Sure, as long as nobody gets a pass.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
OP, that's a pretty poor example of the point you're trying to make. Weight limits on boats aren't government trying to shape behavior, it's a safety issue. The boat will sink if there too many fatasses on it.
I can see your point, but it's an ultra-fine one. I didn't directly say that it was an example.

My thinking is just that this does impose a public cost, and projecting forward, it is likely that controls on behavior will be imposed in efforts to control costs. The massive tobacco lawsuit (led by the WA atty-gen now Gov. Gregoire) were justified on the grounds that smoking was costing the state due to increased medicare bills.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:42 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
My girl weighs more than that. That's just puny.
No surprise. The average adult American female now weighs 164.7 lbs.
FASTSTATS - Body Measurements

What is your girl's time in the 5K? LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies