Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:53 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And whats the net benefit to the economy when the government needs to borrow the amount from the economy to cover the breaks?

ZERO..

And if you think this changes anything, you have very low standards.
You can start by asking the host of republicans in the Senate .....I am sure they have explained the benefits to some house Rs multiple times in just the last 2 days..

Last edited by calmdude; 12-22-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:02 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
******* is as offensive to us as Teabagger is as offensive to you. Both sides continue to use the term to describe the other. As long as you guys continue to use the term *******, I reserve my right to use the term Teabagger to describe Republicans and Tea Party people.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:04 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
Rep. John Boehner: Opposing a 2-month payroll tax cut deal until now "may not have been politically the smartest thing."

Ya think?

With that, Boehner and the publicans in the house have given Obama a nice campaign feather that he can trot out to show that he'll fight for the middle class. Horrible miscalculation on Boehner's part.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Rep. John Boehner: Opposing a 2-month payroll tax cut deal until now "may not have been politically the smartest thing."

Ya think?
It is obvious that Boehner and the Teabaggers forgot to sleep at a Holiday Inn the night before they came up with their genius plan to "go Braveheart" on this issue.

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
A win for the Democrats means a win for America. A win for the Republicans only mean a win for the 1%. Anyone who puts America first would support the Democrats.

This is so true.

Wish I could rep you again.

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I dunno; the little people seem overjoyed at having an extra $104 (average).
Doesn't take much to please a declining society does it ?
It sure doesn't being it's just going to come up again in a few months as a leverage tool for something else.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
If you phrase the issue, "True or false? We should screw our grandkids even worse than we did before," I am not sure America is on board with you.

Cutting the funding for Social Security will be seen in later years as the beginning of the end for the program. The link between payments in and benefits out, however flawed an understanding that is, is the only thing that differentiated Social Security from welfare. It will turn into a giant wealth redistribution machine that will never be as widely supported in the future.
The president is making such a huge deal out of this, and its nothing more then a reduction to the average person's Social Security contribution, of about $150.

I can't see any logic behind this, why only two months?? All this will do is drain $33 billion from the Social Security program. How the hell is this supposed to benefit the nation? Will it cure what ails the economy, reduce the national debt, restore our AAA credit rating?

Two months does not even make any sense at all. All our businesses are forced to follow the federal government's quarterly tax requirements. What computer tax programs are set up to compute employee tax contributions for two thirds of a quarter?

They could have just made the reduction to our SS contribution permanent, or at least last for the entire year, or not at all; it does fund our Social Security fund after all. I think all this two month extension does is give Obama and the dems another stick to poke us with in February. This way they get to once again be the center of attention.

This is how it works. We will all be going along with our lives, minding our own business, as we try to survive in this Obama economy. Then... in the last couple weeks in February the self absorbed politicians in Washington poke us with their new stick.

Democrat Politician: <poke> Hey!!!

We The People: Ouch! What do you want? I'm working here.

Democrat Politician:
<poke> It's me again, reminding you how all powerful I am. Reminding YOU that I control the life and death of the nation, that I control how much your own money YOU are allowed to keep.

We The People: Why can't you just pass a federal budget, and a freaking tax policy that lasts for the entire year, and then go away???

Democrat Politician: cuz this way we can remind you how much we control you. Awe man, being here poking you again <poke> Is the last place I want to be <wink-wink, nudge-nudge, no what I mean> Because I'm showing how much I care about you. <poke><poke>

Then the dems will attach some obnoxious eramarks and complicated riders to yet another tax code extension, that they know republicans will not support. While the republicans are busy spending hours, trying to explain why they can't go along with the riders on the bill, democrats will have a short, sweet, deceptive message, that they just want to give us all a tax cut <> and those nasty republicans won't give us one. <poke><poke>

They used the fact that Reid refused to pass a federal budget, as a giant stick to poke us with all last year. they love to remind us how great and powerful they are, and play games trying to make the republicans out to be the big meanies in the room. They think the economy, the people, the budget, the tax code, the national debt, are all some kind of a football they can kick around. the sad thing is so many drones are cheer leaders for this kind of politics.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
To me it seems like the master is waving the scraps and the people are begging, The extension is being used as a hostage to control the sheep and it works. Auto extend it for a year at a time, make it permanent or drop it. This is all BS and there's a lot of people falling for it. I'm not impressed.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:26 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,277 times
Quote:
A win for the Democrats means a win for America. A win for the Republicans only mean a win for the 1%. Anyone who puts America first would support the Democrats.
Sorry, not in the Big Picture of what has been slowly and methodically been occurring over the last 30+ years and now is snowballing exponentially- perpetrated by BOTH parties. All houses of our government need an enema.

We need new people who understand: the "Fed", money as debt, the need for term limits, that corporations are not persons, the need for repeal of the "patriot" act, the return of habeas corpus and posse comitatus, a legal taxation system, a rebuilding of infrastructure, an objective education system, a purging of fraud and waste and loop holes from all programs, foreign policy improvements, scaling back on military presence and expenditures abroad, war as a last and legally declared option..........

and that's just for starters. We are in a hell of mess because Rs and Ds alike are bought and paid for by big money, be that the Fed, big pharma, big agri, Wall St., the U.N. and the list goes on. We the peeps certainly are not considered except for what can be milked from us in the biggest money, property, precious metals, and land grab in history and done so slickly that most of us don't even notice and continue our totally USELESS partisan bickering. They count on that and they foment it via the bought and paid for media.

Even the newbies in government have been around for too long, let alone the feather bedders like Clinton, McCain, Bernanke, Geitner, Dodd, McConnell, Reid, Boehner, Pelossi, Gates (who keeps changing hats but, like the rest, is stiiiilllll here), the list goes on.... they are so corrupt they can be smelled a mile away- get rid of the whole stinking lot!

Just sorry it's too late in the game for any of the above to happen. For a long time we the people were asleep at the wheel, but now we are nowhere near the wheel, or even on the boat, except as chattel.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post

Ya think?

With that, Boehner and the publicans in the house have given Obama a nice campaign feather that he can trot out to show that he'll fight for the middle class. Horrible miscalculation on Boehner's part.
Average is $108 dollars ?? Really..a campaign feather over $108 ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies