Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times

Advertisements

It does not matter if white people become the minority. They have all of the wealth. Many people of color associate white with being better. White people will always represent the pig in the book "Animal Farm".

Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
In 1858 James Hammond, politician, and wealthy planter declared that the slave holding South was now the controlling power in the world with 80% of the world's cotton production and covering 850,000 square miles. As large as Great Britain , France, Austria , Prussia, and Spain......" an empire that shall rule the world "
Drawn With the Sword, James McPherson, pg 48

The south was indeed a world power that black people built, the wealthiest Americans at the time were Slave holders.
This is just not true in totality. Black people did not "build the South" on their own, in the singular definition of the term.

Backtracking a bit: As a white Southerner, I very much appreciate the contributions of African-Americans to Southern history and culture. Hell, one of the things that make the South unique is the above. On a personal level, two I can think of right off the bat that I enjoy on a regular basis is the food/cooking traditions, and the blues/soul music heritage. In fact, the latter was largely responsible for the origins of early rock and roll being of Southern birth. And naturally there are other legacies as well.

In fact, on a related tangent, when it comes to regional studies/surveys of "Defining the South" by the criteria of self-identification with considering ones community to be in the South and think of themselves as Southerners, then blacks -- as a demographic segment -- are the "most Southern" of all!

BUT...to say blacks built the South as if they were solely responsible is either -- with all due respect -- mis-guided or a revision of history. It is true the ante-bellum South was an agricultural region, and mostly being cotton. Thus, was very wealthy. And, by its nature, it depended on cheap labor. And the institution of slavery provided such to a noteable extent (actually, much more wealth was made by the northern slave shipping merchants, but that is another aspect.).

Also, as it was, most Southerners were not slave-holders. They were (I know my family was! LOL), poor white farmers scratching out a living as best they could. Too, let's not forget there were wealthy free blacks who owned slaves as well. Blunt truth is, the idea of "owning" slaves was something very related to the African homeland itself; they would either be slaves in Africa or in the Western World. It wasn't just a Southern white institution. Slaves were often allowed to "buy their freedom" and some aspired to be planters and slave-holders themselves...and many did.

But back to the real point? Building a wealthy society (or nation) involves much more than sheer labor. To even get it off the ground, it involves vision and foresight. To keep it going, it requires intelligence, thrift, and good business decision making...just to name a few items.

Bottom line is, while almost all of us today agree that slavery is not anything to brag about (although it existed since the dawn of time and still does in some parts of the world), the said existence does not translate into the slaves themselves being solely responsible for the society (whereever it may be..Ante-bellum South or Ancient Egypt) being successful.

Ok. Enough of this. LOL Hope everyone is enjoying the Holidays and had a Merry Christmas!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,666 times
I wouldn't want people of color to be minorities anymore. One day the first will be last, and the last will be first; It's in the Bible.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
No, not really. Don't see why anyone would care.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
By minority I don't mean simply less than 50%, I'm talking more like 20%. This may not happen for say 200 years, but would you be mortified if ever this were to happen?
I'll tell you what: I promise to answer that question unequivocally...provided that you ask me in 200 years.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:17 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Race mixing is the best. Go to Brazil and try not to pop a boner.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Nope. I would care if Moral people of Integrity were to become the minority.

Oh, uh....we're almost there. This, I care about.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:21 AM

272 posts, read 380,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
By minority I don't mean simply less than 50%, I'm talking more like 20%. This may not happen for say 200 years, but would you be mortified if ever this were to happen? I mean let's say culturally all those Mexicans or Asians or whatever were still as American as apple pie, they just didn't have the stereotypical blonde hair blue eyes. American culture has always changed, really. If you woke up in say, Minneapolis in the year 2150 to find there were as many people of Hmong ancestry as there were Swedish ancestry what would you think?

I don't want to brand anyone as racist or anything, just honest opinions.

I guess for many it's already a reality lol.
Why does it matter? Times change...the original inhabitants of the USA didn't have pale skin....but after murders and diseases, the original native inhabitants have been outnumbered ever since.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:26 AM

272 posts, read 380,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It does not matter if white people become the minority. They have all of the wealth. Many people of color associate white with being better. White people will always represent the pig in the book "Animal Farm".
"ALL" of the wealth?? I disagree. "White" people don't have "ALL" of anything....let's be realistic here. ....and saying, "Many people associate white with being better."?? Better as far as what? Where did you get this incorrect information? I usually hear the opposite.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:49 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
By the time that happens, most of the cities would be burned and looted.. because of white privilege the democrats keep preaching to the blacks.

Our country would be broke bringing in more illegal aliens , and most people would be out of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies