Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 02:54 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times

Advertisements

This is a classic example of how money and influence rules our political system, and how we "little people" don't really count to the influence peddlers and their trained monkeys in government.

Here in North Texas, we deal with more snow and ice than outsiders imagine. It's not at all uncommon to endure several days of ice-covered roads which, naturally, results in accidents, closed schools and missed work. And, the roads stay that way. TXDOT or local governments may get out and sand the bridges and overpasses, but that's all. They make no effort to actually remove the snow and ice from the road surface, preferring instead to use the religious method: The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. It's been that way since our roads were built.

Then, an ice storm blew in just before last year's Super Bowl in Dallas. The state was embarrassed by the road conditions which nearly caused the game to be postponed and the terrible condition of our roads was shown on world-wide TV. Business suffered.

I predicted then that money would suddenly be found for snow plows, when it had never been available before. The excuse was that the cost wasn't justified because plows would be so rarely used. Nobody cared about it so long as it wasn't causing problems for big business or for people of wealth and influence....like Jerry Jones, the owner of the Cowboys and Texas Stadium.

Guess what? I've been vindicated. All of a sudden, snow plows have become a major priority and they've decided that Dallas and Ft. Worth needs 27 of them.

First snow plows set for Dallas-Fort Worth - BusinessWeek

Funny that they never "needed" them before, isn't it?

How much longer will be continue to re-elect the scoundrels who have proven by their actions that their votes are for sale to the highest bidder? How much longer will we tolerate the transfer of our hard-earned tax dollars to global corporations and fat-cat contributors? How much longer will we take the crumbs that fall from the table of the elites and pay for their parties? How much longer will we fall for the lie that changing party control of government will make one whit of difference? How much longer will be continue to vote for candidates whose past record shows their affiliation with the elites and global corporations?

When will we demand public financing of elections to break the hold big money has on us? We CAN do it, but we'll have to quit fighting among ourselves along artificial party or ideological lines to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 02:59 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
A great example of the sad way the world works. Grandma doesn't want to risk her life to get groceries? Tough. Suck it up old bag. Billionare doesn't want to lose out on a great opportunity to make some more money? We need to help that poor soul! Raise taxes, cut school funds .. do what needs to be done, but for god's sake, make sure this man gets every dollar he has coming to him.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
What is funny is you and your politicians think 3.7 inches of snow is a "storm" and it shut down the city for a week. That is a light dusting in my neck of the woods. Maybe learn how to drive down there or stay home next time you get a little dusting like that.

Oh and your article said they were buying blades to attach on dump trucks. Not like they're buying 150K brand new trucks a pop. Maybe invest in a broom to sweep off your sidewalk too the next time another one of these great blizzards rolls through Big D. lol

Old 12-23-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What is funny is you and your politicians think 3.7 inches of snow is a "storm" and it shut down the city for a week. That is a light dusting in my neck of the woods. Maybe learn how to drive down there or stay home next time you get a little dusting like that.

Oh and your article said they were buying blades to attach on dump trucks. Not like they're buying 150K brand new trucks a pop. Maybe invest in a broom to sweep off your sidewalk too the next time another one of these great blizzards rolls through Big D. lol
You're missing the whole point.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:15 AM

What point? When is the superbowl in Dallas again?? If it were every year you may have a point. Fact is they are too late for the "Big Storm" last time around. Now if they bought a bunch of plows just in case it snowed you would have a point or if the bowl was there every year and the plows were just for it but that isn't the case. Probably more likely the citizens ripped into their arses for not having any plows on hand, or shovels, or anything. I guess they were counting on global warming to take care of it.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
What point? When is the superbowl in Dallas again?? If it were every year you may have a point. Fact is they are too late for the "Big Storm" last time around. Now if they bought a bunch of plows just in case it snowed you would have a point or if the bowl was there every year and the plows were just for it but that isn't the case. Probably more likely the citizens ripped into their arses for not having any plows on hand, or shovels, or anything. I guess they were counting on global warming to take care of it.
That is EXACTLY the point. In spite of the fact that the Super Bowl may never return to Texas and in spite of the fact that we HAVE been complaining for years, its only now, after the embarrassment and lost revenue, that snow plows have suddenly become important. They never gave a damn so long as it was just the little people who had to deal with it.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
A great example of the sad way the world works. Grandma doesn't want to risk her life to get groceries? Tough. Suck it up old bag. Billionare doesn't want to lose out on a great opportunity to make some more money? We need to help that poor soul! Raise taxes, cut school funds .. do what needs to be done, but for god's sake, make sure this man gets every dollar he has coming to him.
Like I said this isn't in preparation for the superbowl. I don't know how you think buying some blades for the city dump trucks is helping out the superbowl? It's already been played. The next one can't be until after 2015 as the cities have already been named. If you can show me where AZ is stocking up on snow plows for the '15 bowl just in case then you may have a point. All I see is much ado about nothing.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That is EXACTLY the point. In spite of the fact that the Super Bowl may never return to Texas and in spite of the fact that we HAVE been complaining for years, its only now, after the embarrassment and lost revenue, that snow plows have suddenly become important. They never gave a damn so long as it was just the little people who had to deal with it.
So only little people had to deal with these giant blizzards rolling across Dallas? Did rich people have their own plows? Or do you think the rich should be taxed to provide you with a plow in case it snows???

Your argument is like saying well we said the river was gonna flood but it never did. Well it finally did and now your complaining the city is building a levee. Makes no sense.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:48 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Like I said this isn't in preparation for the superbowl. I don't know how you think buying some blades for the city dump trucks is helping out the superbowl? It's already been played. The next one can't be until after 2015 as the cities have already been named. If you can show me where AZ is stocking up on snow plows for the '15 bowl just in case then you may have a point. All I see is much ado about nothing.
KU, you don't get it. Once the plows became a priority for the wealthy interests of the community (who realized that money can be lost and opportunities missed by not having them), the funds for plows magically appeared. When it was just folks who wanted plows ... take a hike! What do you think I am? Made of money?

Old 12-23-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
So, you're of the opinion that that state suddenly deciding to buy snow plows was just a coincidence, that it has nothing to do with the embarrassment during the Super Bowl or the influence of business owners who lost revenue because of the roads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies