Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 09:31 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Christ would tell them that God helps those who help themselves. I never saw a passage in the Bible where Jesus promoted government welfare programs. Never once.

Charity is completely voluntary, forced government charity isn't charity at all. Liberals have a belief that work is bad - but actually work is good. Our poor may believe they are too good to work, which is why our politicans insist we must keep the borders open and allow millions of foreign workers to come take the jobs our poor are too lazy to do.

In fact the Bible has this:

By the sweat of your brow will you have food to eat until you return to the ground from which you were made. For you were made from dust, and to dust you will return."
Government aid is not charity. It is mandated by our founding document and our highest court. Sorry, it is a social obligation.

I do think, and said earlier, that if you get government aid and receive charity, that charitable aid should be deducted from what you get from the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sorry I'm going to disagree with you. I see the lines at the Western Union desk at my supermarket on the weekends. These are families lined up sending money back home. Western Union keeps stats.

Drug money is not being sent back to Mexico via Western Union.
If you count drug money then that figure would skyrocket.
mind if I call BS on you "visions". I cannot imagine a whole family standing in line to wire money. Who is picking the fruit?

How many are drug mules sending the drug proceeds back to the cartel? A girlfriend used to work at a nice hotel near Hopkins airport, there were a dozen or more mules there at any one time. I saw it myself. They were sending thousands back every day.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Rubbish! Talk about taking the Bible out of context! That was God's curse to Adma for "sinning". The Bible also says:

Matthew 25:35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,
For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me

and so on.
That verse is talking about an individual giving charity, not the government.

The government confiscating the incomes of working people and giving it to those who don't choose to work is not charity at all.

And Americans are choosing not to work. When Alabama stopped illegals from coming to do work, food rotted because the welfare types here refuse to work. Why should they work when the government makes it so comfortable for them never to work?

Interesting how illegals never have any trouble finding work and remittances to Mexico were way up in 2011.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
mind if I call BS on you "visions". I cannot imagine a whole family standing in line to wire money. Who is picking the fruit?

How many are drug mules sending the drug proceeds back to the cartel? A girlfriend used to work at a nice hotel near Hopkins airport, there were a dozen or more mules there at any one time. I saw it myself. They were sending thousands back every day.
This is Austin, TX ...not picking fruit here. Repaving driveways, painting, carpentry, lawn service, landscaping, etc. You name a blue collar job and they are doing it.

And there you are in Ohio calling BS on what I see everyday here in Austin ?

Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
that would be a function of drug trafficing more than illegals sending ma and pa a check every month, duh.
No -- remittance money is separate from the drug cartel's money.

Remittance money to Mexico was way up in 2011, higher than even expected. That's the $800 or so that immigrants have left over each month here that they can send back. All those jobs that many welfare Americans think they are too good to do.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
This is Austin, TX ...not picking fruit here. Repaving driveways, painting, carpentry, lawn service, landscaping, etc. You name a blue collar job and they are doing it.

I know a "landscaper" or garden boy or whatever who manages to send $400 back home. That's $400 after living costs, including food and beer and gas here. He's not even paid legal minimum wage.

A lot of Americans complain about working pay check to pay check yet low income immigrants are rolling in the money.

Remittances to Mexico Surge 9.2 pct in August | Fox News Latino

Mexico received $2.13 billion in remittances in August, a figure that was up 9.2 percent on an annual basis in dollars and marked the largest increase in the past 12 months, the Bank of Mexico said.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I know a "landscaper" or garden boy or whatever who manages to send $400 back home. That's $400 after living costs, including food and beer and gas here. He's not even paid legal minimum wage.

A lot of Americans complain about working pay check to pay check yet low income immigrants are rolling in the money.

Remittances to Mexico Surge 9.2 pct in August | Fox News Latino

Mexico received $2.13 billion in remittances in August, a figure that was up 9.2 percent on an annual basis in dollars and marked the largest increase in the past 12 months, the Bank of Mexico said.
They are able to save money. In their culture, multi-generational living is not frowned upon. Think of the savings when you have the grandparents and sons and their families living in one home. That's a lot of savings right there.

And I'm not just picking on Mexicans..Asians have the same type of culture. Americans though have grown out of that and it's frowned upon to be still living with your parents.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
A lot of times, the young males come here by themselves, and live with multiple "roommates" until such time as they can bring their families here. It is a different lifestyle.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:23 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times
Quote:
They are able to save money. In their culture, multi-generational living is not frowned upon. Think of the savings when you have the grandparents and sons and their families living in one home. That's a lot of savings right there.

And I'm not just picking on Mexicans..Asians have the same type of culture. Americans though have grown out of that and it's frowned upon to be still living with your parents.
Those cultures have much stronger family structures though. I was married to a Cuban-American for many years and the sense of "family" is much stronger, whereas they tend to look out for and care for their relatives a LOT more than we do. They have their share of dysfunctional families as we do, but they are raised with that strong backbone to begin with.

When I talk about solving the grass root causes of poverty, broken homes, high divorce rates and poor family support systems are definitely one of the root causes of poverty in the US. It is almost ingrained our culture to shove mom in a home rather than take care of her ourselves, or to turf our kids out as soon as they turn 18. We even frown on guys over a certain age sharing a house as roommates, even if it's for the sole intention of saving money.

My point (after I went off on a tangent) is that welfare in many cases has helped millions of people get by who don't have family to fall back on, especially those in inner cities, who have also been marginalized.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Yep, BS. You take your whole family to the bank to pay you light bill. Why would anyone collect up their family to stand in a line for anything? Doesn't pass the smell test, just pushing wingnut stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies