Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And just what is it that needs to be done to "get rid of it" ?
Everyone in America needs to pitch in to provide health care and education as a basic service for every citizen. Cutting useless spending on statues and military, and monuments. That would eliminate 1/2 of the reasons for low class living in our country. This would eliminate the need for welfare and allow private funding. It would take down the enormity of the problem for starters.
Then we need to set up a job security measure. We shouldn't have right to work states. I live in one and they can hire you for a time, fire you when they feel like it. America as a whole has no job security.
How can one sign a lease, buy a car with no job security. If someone works for you, does a good job, follows the rules and the company isn't in default or going out of business it shouldn't be able to fire at will. It's a mutual contract between employer and employee. We need to find a better way to employ people in America since we expect and even rely on Americans to have credit. We contradict the very fabric of security and therefore have a lot of people who fall short in competing in a Capital market. There isn't anyway they can, but we just call it lazy or entitled. It's really ridiculous to me. If you feel like reading an article then I think this is a good one at explaining the complexity of the situation and maybe some forward thinking repairs to the system.
Revival in Europe and Japan changes debate over the cost of job security. - Business - International Herald Tribune - The New York Times
Nothing would be 100% effective but we are really far off from 100%. We could close the gap significantly if we wanted to. Our fear of government control and the abuse and misuse of our constitution keeps us mid-evil. America is in a perpetual cat fight between parties which keeps us stagnant. We really need to progress instead of run away fighting about it. We need to allow for trial and error until we get it right. At least try and get it right instead of doing nothing but defending an obviously severely flawed system of things. Defending our current system just makes us look stupid, it doesn't change anything for the better. This is how I feel about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Welfare subsidizes out-of-wedlock children and the poverty and crime that comes with having a nation of bastards.
IMO, out-of-wedlock should also include divorced.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:24 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So,what if I'm a muslim who needs help and I knock on a church door?
Will they force me to pray like they do?

That's my only issue with faith based charities.
I remember years ago I wanted to get some free food from this church.
Before you got the food they required you to sit for the service,which I think was about an hour or two.

You can't help the needy and force your beliefs at the same time.
Ya ain't real hungry if ya don't go to the service. Ya should not get something for nothing.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:32 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Ya ain't real hungry if ya don't go to the service. Ya should not get something for nothing.
Fine,but they can't get upset if some don't want their tax dollars supporting these types of charities.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:52 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Well I don't want to make this a black and white issue. Life is many shades of gray. People make the mistake of believing the govt equal public good and that private is equated w/ the corporate model. I have found both to be false.

Both of these models, govt and big corp are big Top Down Authoritarian "money hungry" models that are opaque and inefficient. The are working hand-n-hand.

I believe local people in the local community, friends and family, including yourself will do a better job. The help I have seen from the "private" sector, was more than willing to do all it could and didn't have to go through tons of red tape to do it. The govt on the other hand can be very inefficient,irresponsible, generating more bills and always demanding pmt, "by law". Not saying people don't get govt help, of course or that private corps can't be money hungry.

If govt was smaller and more efficient and did the task it was supposed to do it would work better and allow the private sector to work well. Private is simply, non-govt. The private sector can do much. Look at the internet, look at open source, for a few wonderful and successful "private models".

Old 01-01-2012, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Well I don't want to make this a black and white issue. Life is many shades of gray.
Too true.

Quote:
People make the mistake of believing the govt equal public good and that private is equated w/ the corporate model. I have found both to be false.

Both of these models, govt and big corp are big Top Down Authoritarian "money hungry" models that are opaque and inefficient. The are working hand-n-hand.

I believe local people in the local community, friends and family, including yourself will do a better job. The help I have seen from the "private" sector, was more than willing to do all it could and didn't have to go through tons of red tape to do it. The govt on the other hand can be very inefficient,irresponsible, generating more bills and always demanding pmt, "by law". Not saying people don't get govt help, of course or that private corps can't be money hungry.

If govt was smaller and more efficient and did the task it was supposed to do it would work better and allow the private sector to work well. Private is simply, non-govt. The private sector can do much. Look at the internet, look at open source, for a few wonderful and successful "private models".
There are plenty of successful private models. However, charity is not the internet. The internet makes money by selling a product. That's not what charity is all about. Much as I am in favor of local and private charities, there are limits to what they can do. Few if any pay someone's medical bills, and those that do pay only for certain circumstances. Even the Shriner's Hospitals bill the pts' insurance first if they have it.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 447 times
My husband and I are both mildly disabled just to the point of not being able to do 8+ hours of repetitive work day after day. We are stuck in the government's trap of poverty with no way out. We've tried to become self sufficient by ourselves but the government would not allow us to have certain items that we needed to accomplish this task. They gave us the choice to either keep the things that we needed, so that we could to get to the point of being self sufficient, by good old fashion honest, hard work or to starve. We had no other choice. We had to eat so in order for us to get food stamps, they forced us to sell the things that we needed. Without those things, we had no way to become self sufficient through our own actions. Which would cost the government less, in the long run. They wouldn't allow us any time to get to that point and help us along the way. We had to give up (or sell) our only chance of getting out of that trap.

Is there anybody out there that would help a family get to the place of becoming self reliant? Our government don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies