Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 06:45 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Is it me or does anyone else notice that whenever some folks talk about parasites/welfare recipients the face they present is always black or hispanic?
Suprise, suprise,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 06:49 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Taxes become a donation when the federal government takes
it upon themselves to give our tax payer money to another country. Where do you think that money comes from....
The American Tax Payer.

Erm, the issue here is not aid to foreign countries. But since you bring it up, we give less foreign aid, in relation to our GDP, than many other countries.

Statistics from A to Z

The issue here is whether private charities should replace welfare. My opinion is that not only should private charities NOT replace welfare for the reasons I cited, but the government has an obligation to safeguard the welfare of its citizens, as I've also already stated.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:54 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
And there it is. Charities already control who they help, "oh, you're gay? Sorry we csnnot help you"

Charities are beholding to their benefactors, if a charity helps the "wrong" people, donations might disappear. Jim Crow by the private sector all over again?

Quote:
Guess what... Africa is not part of the United States.
And that's why when we donate money to Africa we
call it Charity...

As a citizen of the US, you can pick whoever you want to donate to...
For me, it may be Greece, or France, or Tim Buck Two

But our government can not dictate that. It's just not in their
authority under the constitution.

We have a fiscal DEFICIT and unless American citizens
want to declare bankruptcy tomorrow, we are in no
position to give any tax payer dollars to anyone, except
back to the US Treasury

Old 12-24-2011, 07:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Erm, the issue here is not aid to foreign countries. But since you bring it up, we give less foreign aid, in relation to our GDP, than many other countries.

Statistics from A to Z

The issue here is whether private charities should replace welfare. My opinion is that not only should private charities NOT replace welfare for the reasons I cited, but the government has an obligation to safeguard the welfare of its citizens, as I've also already stated.

If I'm not willing to pay for you, as a tax payer citizen,
so you are going to do what.....

I vote, You vote. w=We decide collectively who will
determine how much money the government is
going to take from us. Funny - tax payers seem not
to have a voice...

Old 12-24-2011, 07:02 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
If I'm not willing to pay for you, as a tax payer citizen,
so you are going to do what.....
If I know about it, I report you to the IRS.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:10 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times
Quote:
I'll make it as simple as I can
I pay taxes.
My taxes go to pay for things the federal government is
entitled to do.
Welfare e.g. giving my tax dollars to someone else simply
because they are poor does not qualify
I as a citizen can give to charity, thus my charity deduction
on my TAX RETURN of which I really shouldn't have to
pay anyways because the 16th amendment was Never
ratified With all that said, it's not a wet dream to expect
others to pay for you....it's a scam.
Paying your taxes isn't charity - that money is your contribution towards running the country, which you are legally obligated to pay. Helping to prevent vast swathes of the population from falling into absolute poverty is part of the cost of running a developed country. It is also in the interest of national safety, health and security, if you want to slice it a different way, as no one seems to be able to fathom the potential ****storm that would undoubtably occur if masses of people suddenly have no source of income at all, in a country where inflation has skyrocketed and where jobs are more scarce than they were 10 years ago.

So even if you are looking at this from a somewhat selfish perspective, would you really want to live in the kind of society where millions of people are impoverished to third world levels?

Old 12-24-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Paying your taxes isn't charity - that money is your contribution towards running the country, which you are legally obligated to pay. Helping to prevent vast swathes of the population from falling into absolute poverty is part of the cost of running a developed country. It is also in the interest of national safety, health and security

So even if you are looking at this from a somewhat selfish perspective, would you really want to live in the kind of society where millions of people are impoverished to third world levels?
I'm hoping you can read There's a difference between
charity and personal income taxes....

Keep borrowing - you will begin to know what a third world is.
I'm selfish..., just like our government was with their bailouts...

Old 12-24-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
And there it is. Charities already control who they help, "oh, you're gay? Sorry we csnnot help you"

Charities are beholding to their benefactors, if a charity helps the "wrong" people, donations might disappear. Jim Crow by the private sector all over again?
Some made a very elaborate and detailed point along those lines earlier in the thread. I also believe that private charities are too much of a "variable" to be relied upon to prevent millions of people from slipping into absolute poverty. Charitable donations are selective and donations tend to go towards the more "popular" charities. If a certain demographic becomes unpopular because of racism or any other form of prejudice, many prolly will simply refuse to donate to charities collecting on their behalf, while other more popular charities may find themselves flooded with cash.

Too much of a variable, whereas the welfare system does not discriminate. I would rather see sweeping welfare reforms and perhaps the system tinkered to help people learn new skills, gain qualifications and get back to work, rather than just mailing them a check every month. I think that most of us can agree that welfare should be a hand up, not a way of life and that we should seek to crack down on fraud and abuse, just as with any government program.

I would like to see an example of country here in 2011 that has virtually no welfare system, that doesn't have severe poverty, even if that country is doing well, economically.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I'm hoping you can read There's a difference between
charity and personal income taxes....

Keep borrowing - you will begin to know what a third world is.
I'm selfish, just like our government was with their bailouts...
Welfare spending isn't the root cause of our deficit. I can read fine, thank you. It's just that our definitions of what our government should do just so happen to differ very widely.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Welfare spending isn't the root cause of our deficit. .
Your right: War is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies