Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 PM

521 posts, read 466,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I haven't posted in a long time, but I've been reading and I had to respond to this flat out lie.

McDonalds does NOT pay more then minimum wage. I should know because I worked there. My co-workers were mostly in their 20-30s with families to support as well.

Also, Wal*mart has the reputation of treating it's workers shabbily but McDonalds is no better. I was treated horribly by this company. The media should point the spotlight at McDonalds definitely. Not only do they practise reverse discrimination (I dont recommend a white person go to work at a McDonalds that is predominately staffed by hispanics), it doesn't matter how hard you work or how big a team player you are, managers never notice or give pats on the back but they find plenty of room to make huge deals over petty issues.

Don't mean to run on but honestly I HATE that company because of how I was treated and will not stand by when someone posts blatant lies that make McDonalds sound like the second coming.
You sound like an entitled brat. You are fortunate to even have had a job at McDonalds or anywhere else for that matter with that terrible attitude. No wonder your manager treated you like crap because if you act like one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 614 times
Why is it a role of government to control wages? Is that in the constitution somewhere?

I guess I prefer the free market to wages in any case. But government is in far too many areas of our lives IMO.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:51 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
There should not be a minimum wage per say, but workers should get a minimum of $200 a week and if they do really good then they should get more. I declare a sliding performance scale with a $200 minimum.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
There should not be a minimum wage per say, but workers should get a minimum of $200 a week and if they do really good then they should get more. I declare a sliding performance scale with a $200 minimum.
That doesn't work for part-time workers.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:33 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rage View Post
Why is it a role of government to control wages? Is that in the constitution somewhere?

I guess I prefer the free market to wages in any case. But government is in far too many areas of our lives IMO.
Yes, in the constitution. Promote AND provide for the general welfare. If an employer doesn't provide a fair living wage the government, our tax dollars, provide them aid. Better we all demand employers pay a living wage then our tax dollars getting used to support under paid workers, as in Walmart workers getting aid becuz Walmart paycheck still qualifies them for foodstamps, ect.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:37 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Yes, in the constitution. Promote AND provide for the general welfare. If an employer doesn't provide a fair living wage the government, our tax dollars, provide them aid. Better we all demand employers pay a living wage then our tax dollar get used to support under paid workers, as in Walmart workers getting aid nexus Walmart paycheck still qualifies them for foodstamps, ect.
Yes! I get to ask my question again. If that part of the constitution justifies the authority to set wages, what doesn't it justify? Just give me one thing.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:43 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yes! I get to ask my question again. If that part of the constitution justifies the authority to set wages, what doesn't it justify? Just give me one thing.
Based on SCOTUS rulings just about anything Congress wants it to be. I you got a beef with that, take it to the SCOTUS. I don't think cutting aid from the bottom is a appropriate starting point. How about a top down reversal by taking aid and subsidies away from wall street and large corporations.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:47 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Based on SCOTUS rulings just about anything Congress wants it to be. I you got a beef with that, take it to the SCOTUS. I don't think cutting aid from the bottom is a appropriate starting point. How about a top down reversal by taking aid and subsidies away from wall street and large corporations.
So basically anything. Congratulations, you've just invalidated the constitution.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
[quote=wutitiz;22333730]Economists long ago determined that the minimum wage hurts those it purports to help. During the 90's Rep. Dick Armey, an ex-econ prof, tried to put forth rational arguments but was steamrolled by the media and democrats. I remember him ruefully laughing about it years later. Economist Walter Williams points out that minimum wage laws were used to push blacks out of jobs in the 1930's.
Race and economics | Walter Williams | Columnists | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/2011/08/race-and-economics - broken link)

Long ago has been outdated. The most recent evidence shows otherwise. I've posted it before.
Minimum wage trends: Understanding past and contemporary research | Economic Policy Institute

Everything that ever comes around about the minimum wage hurting people, versus actually helping, is from 1980 and earlier. In fact, your own article tries to pass off minimum wage as a bad thing because in the early 20th century, black kids as young as 9 were employed more often than white children.

That's preposterous. Why would you even compare child labor rates for such nonsense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Horse-rape.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
$200 a week equals $10,400 a year before taxes and other deductions.

Question (and please answer honestly): Can YOU live on $10,400 a year?

??? ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies