Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 08:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Consumer sentiment is NOT going to end the recession. We are just 5% of the world pop, and with technology gains, job elimination would always outpace any gains from consumer confidence. Short of increasing the US share of world trade (unlikely with rising ex 3rd world nations), we will simply have to accept a permanent reduction in our standard of living. Its silly to think boardrooms where decisions are made care squat what 537 pompous clowns in DC do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 08:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It does make one wonder how many could have been gained, if the Repubs were willing to work to help rather than trying to stop all job growth. Could the avg have been 200k or more even. Who knows what could happen if Americans saw both Parties working together for them. The impact on Consumer Sentiment could well have been very significant. But no, they just stick to the Bill Kristol marching orders given them as soon as Obama got elected.
Funny, I thought that's what obama's stimulus was all about. Remember that? If you think people will forget about that, I can guarantee you they will not.

See, obama got everything he wanted the first two years in office. Super majority in the Senate, huge one in the House, unfettered power and control over every aspect of the economy.

Can't believe there are some that think we need more of that.

His problem is that HIS policies failed and made the recession even worse.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:58 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Over 400,000 people per week are losing their jobs
Has anyone taken into account of the jobs that are automated now. In my community alone the CVS store fired their cashiers because it is self check out now. There is one cashier left. This has also happened with our 4 grocery stores. Multiple that by every CVS and grocery store nationwide and we have a problem with unemployment.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:03 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Has anyone taken into account of the jobs that are automated now. In my community alone the CVS store fired their cashiers because it is self check out now. There is one cashier left. This has also happened with our 4 grocery stores. Multiple that by every CVS and grocery store nationwide and we have a problem with unemployment.
No complainers, no drama, no sick kids, no sick time or vacation time, no benefits required and no sick of their jobs bringing everyone around them down drama.

Win-win situation'ish!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:57 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Never mind that most of those jobs are temporary or seasonal. Right?

and low wage to boot

Old 12-26-2011, 12:21 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Yes..they CRINGE at the signs of positive economic data. Why? Because they KNOW they will have to LIVE with Obama for another 4 years. Love it.

Positive?

What's positive about a recovery from recession which features 8.6% unemployment and 2% GDP?

By any historic measure, that absolutely sucks!

1983 - NBC News Overnight part 1 - YouTube

Old 12-26-2011, 12:33 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Positive?

What's positive about a recovery from recession which features 8.6% unemployment and 2% GDP?

By any historic measure, that absolutely sucks!

1983 - NBC News Overnight part 1 - YouTube
Steps are being made in the right direction. We don't need a history lesson to compare, that's not the point.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
(is thinking that i need to go find one of those "why don't blacks vote more for Republicans" threads)

Oh...nevermind.
No, no, no...maybe you should.

Who camps out at a Footlocker to get a pair of NIKE throwback sneakers?

Whose "kicks" are so important that they need them to define them and will go to such stupid lengths (fighting/shooting/beating someone) to get them some?

Even in the worst cities in any state?

Go get yourself one of those asses and ask if they can spell their name before they tell you they vote democrat across the board. When paid to.

I mean, I know what side of town I was driving through Friday morning when I was at a red light and happened to notice the trash, filth, police tape and police car outside the Footlocker one block away from my business (that I know is in the ghetto) . It wasn't the REPUBLICAN side, it was the welfare, living off of taxpayer monies side. But they got plenty of money to buy $180 pr of SNEAKERS - and the time to trash someone else's place of business to do so. Because fashion is everything in the ghetto.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:25 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Steps are being made in the right direction. We don't need a history lesson to compare, that's not the point.

And we see the p*ss-poor results.

That's how we know the steps taken have been relatively infective.

Bush's yearly unemployment rate was never over 6%, and, according to liberals, he single-handedly destroyed the US economy.

Obama's has never been under 9% and we are told he saved the Universe.

Face facts!

Obama has no clue.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:29 AM

442 posts, read 540,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
No, no, no...maybe you should.

Who camps out at a Footlocker to get a pair of NIKE throwback sneakers?

Whose "kicks" are so important that they need them to define them and will go to such stupid lengths (fighting/shooting/beating someone) to get them some?

Even in the worst cities in any state?

Go get yourself one of those asses and ask if they can spell their name before they tell you they vote democrat across the board. When paid to.

I mean, I know what side of town I was driving through Friday morning when I was at a red light and happened to notice the trash, filth, police tape and police car outside the Footlocker one block away from my business (that I know is in the ghetto) . It wasn't the REPUBLICAN side, it was the welfare, living off of taxpayer monies side. But they got plenty of money to buy $180 pr of SNEAKERS - and the time to trash someone else's place of business to do so. Because fashion is everything in the ghetto.
Wow, the racist undertones in this make me really question why people like you are allowed to call yourselves "American". You're not a patriot, you claim to love the melting pot, but only the white-milk base.

Way to generalize an entire race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies