Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:32 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,780,191 times

Advertisements

So much for "uniform".
If you allow muslim head gear you WILL have to allow every other type of religious garb.
So.....no more "uniform" the concept and the benefit that comes from that, cohesion esprit de corps etc will fade away... to everyone’s detriment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 12:38 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,014,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
So much for "uniform".
If you allow muslim head gear you WILL have to allow every other type of religious garb.
So.....no more "uniform" the concept and the benefit that comes from that, cohesion esprit de corps etc will fade away... to everyone’s detriment.
You're not paying attention.

They already allow other types of religious garb. They've been allowing Jewish soldiers to wear Yarmulkes for years.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're not paying attention.

They already allow other types of religious garb. They've been allowing Jewish soldiers to wear Yarmulkes for years.
You should finish the sentence.."UNDER the military headgear".

How are you going to do that with a turbin my friend ?

Old 12-25-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You should finish the sentence.."UNDER the military headgear".

How are you going to do that with a turbin my friend ?
I have no issue with them wearing a turban in garrison. So what? Who is it hurting? If you allow yarmulkes, then you've gotta accomodate the turban on the same grounds. Doesn't bother me in the least bit.

No one forces Sikhs to join the military. I'm sure they'll have no problem taking it off in lieu of a helmet when it's time for combat or combat training.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:02 PM

46,795 posts, read 25,709,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
About the only biblical connection I can see to dress blues is that they're uncomfortable as Hell.
Hair Shirts, perhaps? And I'm not seeing the big to-do. Back when the British ran an empire, they made accommodations in diet, uniform and religious practices for Sikhs, Hindus and Muslims in their armed forces.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:20 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,165,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Although Islam is very pro-modesty, the Quran does not specify specific articles of clothing:

Dress Code for Women based on Quran

ETA: I did not realize at first that the cadet was refused permission to wear the garments at a parade. Here I was imagining they were talking about during training or something. My mistake. Yes, she has every right to wear a headscarf if that's what floats her boat. I doubt they'd be telling anyone not to wear a crucifix or yarmulke.
yarmulkes and crucifixes are worn UNDER the uniform.

Quote:
Scottish troops, Kilts, Blood, Crips? What the hell are you talking about? Do you even know?

Why in the hell would a Blood or Crip join the military, much less get in the military and show gang affiliation? SMH....Good lord.

Calm down. Jewish soldiers can wear the Yarmulke. Is THAT a problem?

Jewish soldiers couldn't wear the yarmulke until relatively recently, and not even all of them wear one... mostly just chaplains.

and just fyi gang signs have been found on walls in Baghdad.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
yarmulkes and crucifixes are worn UNDER the uniform.

Jewish soldiers couldn't wear the yarmulke until relatively recently, and not even all of them wear one... mostly just chaplains.

and just fyi gang signs have been found on walls in Baghdad.
They can NOW! That's the point. Hell, until "relatively recently," the military was segregated. All depends on your definition of "relatively."

Uh...i don't give a damn about gang signs on walls in Baghdad. I give a damn about gang signs on my own property....and as of yet, i don't have any.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:42 PM

179 posts, read 140,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
They'll have the "chance" to participate? They can participate by following the dress code. The dress code is NON-religious and for good reason.

I say if they are not interested in following the dress code, then they can't join the JROTC. Unfortunately, the continuing muslimification of America continues.
Wash your white robe and pointed hat getting ready for the race-war talked about by R. Paul?

Old 12-25-2011, 01:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,194,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
They do have the option to apply for a separate rations payment.
Yeah, but not always granted.
Military would save a lot of money if they simply closed the dining halls.

If you're going to have dining halls, you need to accommodate other than meat eaters for every meal.
How about downrange, there's no option for separate rats.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,570,849 times
Quote:
And seeing as how devout Jews and Muslims pretty much eat the same foods, even though they may be prepared in a different way, it's not a stretch that a Jew would have no serious issues in the mess halls if Muslims didn't.
While a Muslim can eat kosher food when halal food is not available, an observant Jew may not eat halal food.

There is a singular exception: a Torah-observant Jew can eat anything, including pork or shell fish, if that is the only food available and it is necessary to eat something in order to have the energy to save his or another's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies