Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:26 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,751 times

Advertisements

Jewish gender segregation campaign turns violent - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/jewish-gender-segregation-campaign-turns-violent-135056846.html - broken link)

Quote:
Clashes erupted on Monday between police and several hundred ultra-Orthodox Jews from a town near Jerusalem who are campaigning for men and women to be segregated, an AFP journalist said.

Israeli police had stepped up their patrols in Beit Shemesh following unrest sparked by discrimination against women imposed by a radical fringe of the town's religious Jews.
Paranoid, sexist, sociopaths.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 12:32 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
They are just the flip-side of the Islam coin, the same mindset...

Old 12-26-2011, 01:28 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,217 times
the hebrew and christian bibles are both extremely sexist. as is the koran. I don't know why any woman would want to follow such stone age religions. why do they continue to be so prevalent in the modern world? they were all written by cavemen living in the stone age.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:37 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
the hebrew and christian bibles are both extremely sexist. as is the koran. I don't know why any woman would want to follow such stone age religions. why do they continue to be so prevalent in the modern world? they were all written by cavemen living in the stone age.
I don't know. I think perhaps women are married at an early age, are taught little of the outside world so they see it as threatening. Before long they have a string of children and cannot leave them, so they are stuck.

They are sexist. My husband remarked, the other day, that there are no female angels in the bible. I never thought of that. Probably, female angels were even thought to be insignificant. It is amazing to me that the Catholics, banning female priests, came up with the closest thing to a female goddess, Mary. That little gem probably came up through the people.

I think that many concepts found in the old testament as well as those concerning the life of Jesus were stolen from surrounding religions. Islam is a rehash of the bible, isn't it?

That people would fight and die over these things proves how easily lead we are.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:02 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,637,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
They are just the flip-side of the Islam coin, the same mindset...
I read the link and didn't read anything about women getting stoned to death or any "honor" killing threats. Nor did I read anything about anyone getting their hands or feet cut off; nor any beheadings. Doesn't sound like the same coin to me.

And I wish the U.S. would stay out of these matters. Different cultures have different "rules." If the people of a certain culture want to change it, then they must be the ones to do it, themselves.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:05 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I read the link and didn't read anything about women getting stoned to death or any "honor" killing threats. Nor did I read anything about anyone getting their hands or feet cut off; nor any beheadings. Doesn't sound like the same coin to me.

And I wish the U.S. would stay out of these matters. Different cultures have different "rules." If the people of a certain culture want to change it, then they must be the ones to do it, themselves.
It'll never happen now Doc,we've let the politicians go to far for to long...we are now the moral and political freedom cops of the universe.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:

I did not read the link, but I have heard several reports recently on orthodox Jews trying to force their ideas on the rest of society. For instance they want society to be divided into male and female subsocieties just the way they have it in many Muslim countries.
The things you mention in your first paragraph are not really common in most Muslim countries, either. Sure, they are spectacular and thus make the news, but they are not typical of normal life in most Muslim countries.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:08 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,751 times
Quote:

I'm Jewish. I reserve the right to condemn what these nuts are doing in the name of my religion. The Orthodox have no right to act this way. They've demanded women sit in the back of the bus just because they're women, attacked co-educational elementary schools and demanded that secular and more rational Jews agree to their demands and adopt their worldview.

What they're doing isn't culture or rules. It's sexism plain and simple.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:12 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't know. I think perhaps women are married at an early age, are taught little of the outside world so they see it as threatening. Before long they have a string of children and cannot leave them, so they are stuck.

They are sexist. My husband remarked, the other day, that there are no female angels in the bible. I never thought of that. Probably, female angels were even thought to be insignificant. It is amazing to me that the Catholics, banning female priests, came up with the closest thing to a female goddess, Mary. That little gem probably came up through the people.

I think that many concepts found in the old testament as well as those concerning the life of Jesus were stolen from surrounding religions. Islam is a rehash of the bible, isn't it?

That people would fight and die over these things proves how easily lead we are.
men and women are never taught about the sexist parts of the bible in church so they remain blissfully ignorant. because most christian churches like to cherry pick passages from the bible while ignoring all the misogynistic, violence and other crude offensive stuff that makes up 60-70% of the bible.

If modern christians knew what the bible is really about most would turn into atheists real quick.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:58 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
men and women are never taught about the sexist parts of the bible in church so they remain blissfully ignorant. because most christian churches like to cherry pick passages from the bible while ignoring all the misogynistic, violence and other crude offensive stuff that makes up 60-70% of the bible.

If modern christians knew what the bible is really about most would turn into atheists real quick.
I agree that if Jews and Christians tried to read the bible impartially they would disapprove of a lot of their god's actions and pronouncements.

Giving up one specific belief system does not mean you have to discard all of your beliefs. It does not mean all belief systems are bad.

Believing should not mean that you have to check your brain at the door or think women inferior or think that the men of your group have such lousy control over their libidos that they cannot stand to see a woman dressing in line with the weather or dressing in public in a feminine manner. What, in heaven's name, does that speak about the men in such cultures? Are they beastly animals with no thought to restraint of their lower natures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies